Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing Win 95 version of RIVEN on Windows 7 | Forums

Trouble with Quicktime in loading. Other threads I've read on various forums don't seem to cover the problem I'm having. How can I install the game (5 cd verion) to be able to play it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Welcome to the Forums!

We need specific details about your trouble with Quicktime. For example, but not limited to:
    -- Are you getting error messages, and if so, exactly what do the sessages say?
    -- Any system lockups or other system problems while installing Riven?
    -- When in the Riven installation process does the trouble occur?

Plus any and all additional details that might help to diagnose the problem(s).
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

apologies for delay in replying. when trying to install it loads so far on to the drive and then message "quick time for windows has stopped working" comes up and then I can't proceed further. I s that enough info?

Suggestions:

1. You may have a disc-read problem. This can be due to a disc that needs cleaning.

Your Riven CD's could have developed a haze coating if you:
    -- Live in a dusty area.
    -- Have a smoker in the house or where you use your PC.
    -- Do not have a hood over your kitchen stove or cooktop that vents outside the house.
    -- Use burning-candle or plugin (oil-dispersing) room deodorizers anywhere in the house.
    -- Have subjected your CD's to temperatures above 85-90 degrees F.
    -- Have stored your CD's for an extended period. (This is more or less a "by definition" for the CD version of Riven, since it's very old.)

The haze can be invisible to the naked eye, but it's not invisible to your disc drive and could be what's interfering with disc reads. (This is especially true if a drive is more than about 3 years old, since read lasers tend to weaken with time. That by itself can lead to disc read problems - even without a haze. The only fix for a weak read laser is a new drive.)

So, get rid of any haze on the CD's. Clean the shiny sides of all Riven discs using a soft, lint-free cloth moistened with either:
    -- Water-clear rubbing alcohol - additive-free, no witch hazel or whatever, no green or blue color.
    -- A warm mild dishwashing (*NOT* dishwasher) detergent solution.

Clean with either alcohol or detergent solution using a center-outward motion, NOT circular around the disc. Instead of allowing the disc to air-dry, manually dry it with a soft, lint-free cloth. Dry with a center-outward motion, NOT circular around the disc.

There've been posts saying that disc cleaning sometimes requires multiple applications of alcohol and/or dishwashing detergent solution, along with a good bit of "elbow grease" or "scrubbing" while applying the solution. You might also try that sort of thing, being careful to use clean, soft cloths for both application of cleaning solution and drying the disc between solution applications. (Don't let the disc air-dry!)

After you've cleaned the CD's, again try installing Riven and QuickTime.

2. Run the Program Compatibility troubleshooter and use it to install Riven and QuickTime. See
    Make older programs run in this version of Windows for details. In particular, "If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc ...."

3. Install Riven and QuickTime while running Windows 7 in Windows XP Mode. See Windows Virtual PC and Download Windows XP Mode for details.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

thanks - i'll try this and if further problems i'll get back to you

Hello again - my version of Windows 7 won't allow running in XP mode. Any other suggestions or will I have to get a newer version that runs on Windows 7 Home Premium?

You could try the Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition, which contains updated versions of Myst (as Myst Masterpiece Edition), Riven, and Exile.

Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

you should be able to use the win 95 version just fine on windows 7 without compatibility mode as that's the version I'm using on 7 and I don't experience any problems with the game at all. you just need to find a way to get the proper version of quicktime to install and the game will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Sade View Post
    you should be able to use the win 95 version just fine on windows 7 without compatibility mode as that's the version I'm using on 7 and I don't experience any problems with the game at all. you just need to find a way to get the proper version of quicktime to install and the game will work fine.
    I can seem to run the game, but when I try to save my current game and try to reload it later to start where I left off...it says unable to load game, starting new one. any ideas?

Welcome to the Forums!

In general,
    1. Install Riven to your C: drive.
    -- a. Be certain that Riven saves its game progress files to your C: drive.
    2. Start Riven from a fresh boot.
    -- a. Reboot, log into Windows, and close all open applications.
    -- b. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 1. Do NOT forget to re-enable your anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs after finished playing Riven.
    -- c. If you have only a software firewall, do NOT disable it.
    -- d. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Riven.
    3. Never boot up with a CD or DVD in the disc drive.
    4. If the Riven disc autostarts when inserted into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    5. Always start Riven with the Desktop shortcut/start icon, NOT from the CD menu.

Suggestions:

1. Try running the Program Compatibility troubleshooter. Make the appropriate selection for "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?" See
    Make older programs run in this version of Windows for details. (If you don't want to run the video, scroll down and follow the instructions under To run the Program Compatibility troubleshooter.)

2. Be certain that you're saving properly, including saving via the proper path. Riven game progress is manually saved by placing the game's cursor at the top left corner of the Riven screen, clicking once to display the taskbar (or pressing Ctrl-Spacebar), then clicking on File > Save or Save as.

The Riven game progress save path can be set from the screen shown by opening the Riven taskbar and clicking on File > Save as. This is the "Save As" screen that has the Save in: box on it. Click on the down arrow at the right end of the Save in: box, then select the folder in which to save game progress by clicking as necessary in the resulting drop-down menu.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast