Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prince of Persia vs. Assassin's Creed | Forums

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Prince of Persia vs. Assassin's Creed

So, last night I had this conversation with a friend about video games, and he mentioned Assassin's Creed.
    Not being a fan of Assassin's Creed, I said, "Really? Assassin's Creed? Everybody knows Prince of Persia's better. He then claimed that Prince of Perisa "sucks", and Assassin's Creed is better and "awesome". Now, I am going to present the facts and show why Prince of Persia is, in fact, better.
    Positives for Assassin's Creed:
    Good story.
    All the different acrobatics are great.
    All kinds of weapons.

Positives for Prince of Persia:
    Superior story.
    Easy-to-master combat.
    The Free Form Fighting system is fantastic.
    The Sands of Time.
    All the different acrobatics are great.

Negitives for Assassin's Creed:
    Gory.
    Has you play as various assassins.
    Portrays the Knights Templar as villains.
    Acrobatics are taken from Prince of Persia.
    Promotes moral relativism.

Negitives for Prince of Persia:
    Gory.
    Occasional bad languge.
    Sexualized female NPCs in Warrior Within.

The story for Assassin's Creed is a good one. From Wikipedia:
    The games take place in 2012, featuring Desmond Miles, a bartender who is a descendant of several lines of prominent Assassins; though raised as an Assassin, he fled his nomadic family to seek out a more common lifestyle. He is initially kidnapped by the megacorporation Abstergo Industries, the modern-day face of the Knights Templar who are aware of Desmond's lineage. Desmond is forced to use the "Animus", a device that allows him to experience his ancestral memories. Abstergo is seeking to discover the location of several artifacts, or "Pieces of Eden", that hold great power, to control mankind and alter its fate, bringing humanity into a single unified group. Desmond also encounters a small team of modern-day Assassins; agreeing to work with them, Desmond uses their version of the Animus (the Animus 2.0) to continue to experience the memories of his ancestors to discover the locations of additional Pieces of Eden so they can be recovered before Abstergo can do so. While experiencing these memories, some of their abilities are genetically leaked into Desmond, known as the Bleeding Effect, giving him some of the Assassin skills of his predecessors at the cost of living with multiple sets of memories and personalities in his mind.
    Within the Animus, Desmond explores the memories of Assassins Altaïr ibn-La'Ahad, an initially disgraced Assassin working to redeem himself during the Third Crusade, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, an Assassin in Italy during the late 15th and early 16th centuries of the Renaissance and of Ratohnhaké:ton, otherwise known as Connor, a half-Mohawk, half British Assassin during the American Revolution. Throughout these events, Desmond learns of allusions to the prophetic end of the world in 2012 from a former Animus test subject, Subject 16, as well as from holographic figures of a species pre-dating humanity. Many years ago a massive solar flare nearly wiped out all life and a second threatens to do the same. With the second solar flare fast approaching, it is up to Desmond to use the memories of his ancestors to acquire their knowledge, learn the truth and find the Pieces of Eden to save humanity.
    Sounds like a good story, yes? Well, consider the fact that Assassin's Creed claims to be based on historical facts, but if you look up the words "assassins" or "order of assassins", nearly every result will have to do with...ta-da! Assassin's Creed. But the game does pormote moral relativism.
    Now, I get it, PoP was it's bad points too, but just think about it.
    "I am the Prince of Persia and the King of Blades!"-The Prince, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
    "Go, you dangerous, mute lunatic."-GLaDOS, Portal 2
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have no problem with people having a preference for one or the other. Anyone who played Assassin's Creed first would likely prefer it no matter how much they liked Prince of Persia; that's just how it tends to be for people. I DO think it's rediculous that anyone would just love AC and then hate on Prince of Persia. That really makes them seem shallow and ignorant toward gaming history in general. I will say, though, anytime you say something like: 'everybody knows such and such is better' you can expect a response like that 90% of the time. Which is better is subjective information. It's not universal no matter how much better you feel it is, nor how many people agree. Personally, I think PoP IS better, but very few people know it.

I´ve played both and for AC is just a copy of POP, POP is way better. In fact, the best AC for me is the first one, and it is really repetitive ... POP is a masterpiece .... Havent heard the same about AC. It´s just a fever.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfPortal View Post
    Negatives for Assassin's Creed:
    Portrays the Knights Templar as villains.
    And that's a bad thing?

Co-founder of the mighty Lightbringers ! Join us here, on DeviantArt and on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Grafferu View Post
    And that's a bad thing?
    Yes, if you're a Templar.

as someone who played both and started with AC1, though technically i played the original PoP first, i gotta say that PoP is by far a better game, i love AC as well, but the sands of time trilogy, PoP 2008, and the original are just some of the best games ever made, and some of my favorite games ever, heck ive platinumed every PoP on playstation, thats how much i love the series.

i gotta say i like things from both. i played PoP first and it's still one of my favorite all-time games, though i think there's some things i like in AC a bit better. honestly, i didn't much care for the first AC (as kaileena750 said, it's repetitive), but i absolutely loved pretty much everything about AC2... ezio's character, the story, etc. i honestly think AC2 goes down as one of the single best action adventure games in recent history... but... so does the PoP series (SoT in particular). though in respect to all of that, i know AC was a spin-off of sorts of the PoP franchise that evolved into a new IP for ubisoft. with that in mind, i think there's things they could learn from each other. i'd like to see a more open world PoP. warrior within and the two thrones were rumored before release to be open world... yeah, so much for that. but i think it worked in the game the way they did it. i just like to see some experimentation. i think that AC has come a long way since PoP first came out, both technologically and graphically so i think there's plenty that can be reflected back onto PoP to make it that much better. although with PoP 2008 in mind, that game was quite a bit different and i'm not sure it can be compared to the previous games, nor to AC in the same nature. they're all sorta different with some similarities, but all great games in their own right. now, if you guys wanna play another ubisoft game from the SoT PoP series days... get Beyond Good & Evil!

JohnKarp.com | deviantART | Model Mayhem
    "It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."
    - Haruhara Haruko

Quote Originally Posted by Gi1t View Post
    Yes, if you're a Templar.
    I see what you did there

Co-founder of the mighty Lightbringers ! Join us here, on DeviantArt and on Twitter

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafferu View Post
    And that's a bad thing?
    Yes, if you value history. The Knights Templar were one of the greatest band of knights ever, but, courtesy of King Philip IV of France's claims that they were some kind of idol worshippers, they've been used by anybody you want to mention (i.e. Freemasons, Dan Brown, and Ubisoft). I think somebody should make a video game series that is pro-Templar.
    "I am the Prince of Persia and the King of Blades!"-The Prince, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
    "Go, you dangerous, mute lunatic."-GLaDOS, Portal 2

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfPortal View Post
    Yes, if you value history. The Knights Templar were one of the greatest band of knights ever, but, courtesy of King Philip IV of France's claims that they were some kind of idol worshippers, they've been used by anybody you want to mention (i.e. Freemasons, Dan Brown, and Ubisoft). I think somebody should make a video game series that is pro-Templar.
    True, ever since they were originally targeted for elimination they've been depicted as villains. A game depicting their heroics would be just as acceptable as Ubisoft's rendition. It's historical fiction either way.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast