The acoustic room in SH2 was very basic. You can only hear:
- merchant ship (tum tum tum)
- military ship (brrrrrrrrr)
- your diesel engine
- your electric engine
- torpedoes (? : i'm not sure anymore)
When you play to other subsim (like "sub command"), there is a lot of others thinks you can hear:
- bio (shrimps, fish, whales...)
- waves, when in shallow waters
- waves, when near the coast
- differents sounds according to the class of the ship
I think a rich acoustic environnement is a MUST for sub simulators, because the ears are the eyes of the sub ... (hmm).
Also, you shoud identify the sound yourself, and the program should keep your identification (even if it is wrong). (like in others subsims).
I gess to identifiy the nationality, the flags
of the ships should be large, and well seen in the periscope.
(How do they made at this time ?)