Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help installing patch on IL2 1946 | Forums

Hi all, new to the forums.
    Ok so I just got IL2 1946 earlier today (been screwing around on it for a little while now, LOVE it!) and I downloaded and tried to install patch 4.08 but when its nearly finished installing, the installation screw closes and the patch doesn't install. Help me! I wanna get the game patched all the way to 4.09 so I can download mods and play online.

I'm wondering if its because when I first installed the game, the language bar for the setup didn't even come up so I had to go to my computer and open up the folder and clicked a.exe and that installed the game. I think I may have installed a compact version that the patches may not work on (the a.exe file was like 7,000 some KBs where the IL2 1946 file was like 102,00 some KBs)

Oh and its on an new Acer Aspire laptop running Windows 7 with plenty of capacity to run the game.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi, MajorWonka. Welcome to the forum.

I think your problem is unlikely to be due to using a.exe - this is just a utility for setting up IL-2. More likely this is a problem that occurs with installing IL-2 on a Windows 7 or Vista PC. If you install it in the default 'Program Files' folder, the operating system can prevent files being modified. Your best bet is to create a new folder ('C:\Games' or something like that), and then copy the entire 'IL-2 Sturmovik 1946' folder to there. Check that it still works, by clicking on the 'il2fb.exe file. If it does, you can apply the patch to that. Otherwise, delete your copy, and redownload to the new folder. You will need to create a new desktop shortcut to the .exe file, but otherwise you should have no problems.

You might find reading Bearcat's 'Nugget's Guide' useful, too: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...3110283/m/9121094645

Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence. William Blake

Originally posted by AndyJWest:
    Hi, MajorWonka. Welcome to the forum.

I think your problem is unlikely to be due to using a.exe - this is just a utility for setting up IL-2. More likely this is a problem that occurs with installing IL-2 on a Windows 7 or Vista PC. If you install it in the default 'Program Files' folder, the operating system can prevent files being modified. Your best bet is to create a new folder ('C:\Games' or something like that), and then copy the entire 'IL-2 Sturmovik 1946' folder to there. Check that it still works, by clicking on the 'il2fb.exe file. If it does, you can apply the patch to that. Otherwise, delete your copy, and redownload to the new folder. You will need to create a new desktop shortcut to the .exe file, but otherwise you should have no problems.

You might find reading Bearcat's 'Nugget's Guide' useful, too: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...3110283/m/9121094645
    Well I tried all that and it worked! Thank you so much! I have yet to download patch 4.09 and install it but I should get to that shortly.

Glad to hear it was that simple. Don't be afraid to ask for more help if you need it. We are a friendly lot here (until we get into an argument about politics, or exactly how many .303 rounds it takes to shoot down a Ju-88 ), and always welcome newcomers.

Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence. William Blake

HI

I also have the same problem. Just bought the game today. I directly applied patch 4.09m and when I started the game, it loaded up to 5% and the loading screen went away!!!

Also I gave a key inside the game disc cover. But I was never asked to input that during the installation, why?

The game is a combined of IL2, FB and Pacific Theatre and on the back of the CD case, it says "Made in Singapore". Is it a legi copy I am worried because in Asia, pirate copy is too common. Why I was never asked to enter the key?

Welcome to the Forums PT80.

Afraid you can't apply the 4.09 patch to the game version you have. Suggest you get the il2 1946 DVD which is version 4.07. Then get patch 4.08 from Mission for Today. Only then can you patch to 4.09.

Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit, Kill

Thanks, I will follow your directions.

Been playing 1946 with 4.08m for a few years now. I've just downloaded patch 4.09m zip (566 mb) from:
    http://mission4today.com/index...e=Downloads&get=3764

It didn't do anything when I tried to intitialize it. (4.08m directed me to initialization screen). Can you please help me to a link that'd direct me to patch that works?

Originally posted by flyingzypher:
    Been playing 1946 with 4.08m for a few years now. I've just downloaded patch 4.09m zip (566 mb) from:
    http://mission4today.com/index...e=Downloads&get=3764

It didn't do anything when I tried to intitialize it. (4.08m directed me to initialization screen). Can you please help me to a link that'd direct me to patch that works?
    The links you posted should work, it is the correct version.
    However, chances are that the content of the zipfile you downloaded is one file: 409m.exe.
    Meaning: After you've unzipped the .zip file, there should be a 409m.exe file (probably in your game folder now), try and execute that file, point it to your IL2 installation folder and that should do it...

Good Luck!

Thanks, but I've tried unzipping and initialization from the 409m.exe after extraction. Nothing happens, there's no response from it. Maybe it got corrupted during download... any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast