Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent Hunter III on Windows 7 | Forums

Originally posted by goes211:
    Hi all
    Got it working in windows 7 using a combination of the methods here, mostly the first one.
    1. Use the posted removal tool for starforce
    NB for some reason, starforce wasn't installed on my machine =)
    2. Find and unzip Silent Hunter 3 v1.4b [ENGLISH] No-DVD/Fixed EXE
    3. Install SH3 and exit before running the game cos it'll crash
    4. Patch the game for v1.4 DVD euro version, there's a link on subsim.com,
    NB this is different to the file called up in step 2!
    5. Copy and paste the unziped files from step 2 into the game directory
    6. Delete the desktop short cut and create a new short cut to desktop from the game directory
    7. Start the game

It should work, if not try switching steps 4&5

If it still doesn't work, I'll make a more detaild post.

Also, it plays in a funny resolution. I've seen a post here that provides a direct x fix
    MY GAME CRASHES WITH IT
    Im sure it's because I'm doing something wrong, I can't seem to edit the .cfg file and save it back as a .cfg file, it becomes a text file as I've to use note pad to open it.

Can anyone suggest a work around?

ALso I've not installed any of the add-on packs, will they work now I've done stage 5? Hint hint?

Many thanks for all your help!
    Good luck

Goes211
    The Staforce thing was only on earlier versions of the SH3 game and was not included in later editions of SH3.

As for the Res fix...Copy and paste the .cfg file you inserted into your game folder and place it on the desktop. Then open it with Note pad. Make the changes to X and Y and then copy and past it back into the game folder....overwrite the one that is there and it should work...well it did for me. But there again I haven't had some of the problems that people are describing here, perhaps I was just lucky.

When you are talking about add-on packs I presume you are talking Mods and super mods.

Some mods just require JSGME to make them work, others are enabled using and .exe file. For the latter you will need to make another copy of the exisiting SH3 game folder so that you always have a 'clean version'.

If you require full instructions on how to do it, you can use the 'search function' as it has been posted or you can post here and I will describe it for you. I currently have 3 versions of SH3 on my PC and all work independently of each other.

Maverick

One of the Older Generation and Proud of it!!!
    Intel Corei7 2600k, 8gb Corsair RAM, Nvidia GTX670 Graphics, 120GB SSD & 128 SSD with Windows 7, 1TB HDD.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Originally posted by Maverick_U2007:

The Staforce thing was only on earlier versions of the SH3 game and was not included in later editions of SH3.

Maverick
    Hi Maverick,

Could the difference between these versions be the cause that i can't get it running?
    I followed exactly the procedure as Goes211 but for me it keeps crashing.

Thanks.
    Gr. bobotai

Something else i noticed.
    When running the SH3 1.4b patch i got the message "I can update your SH3 1.0 version to version 1.3" (not 1.4b??!)

Did you guys got the same message or might this be the cause of my upgrade troubles?

Thanks!
    bobotai

When running the SH3 1.4b patch i got the message "I can update your SH3 1.0 version to version 1.3" (not 1.4b??!)

Did you guys got the same message or might this be the cause of my upgrade troubles?
    Yes, I see the same message. Had the patch already on my harddisk so I think it's just an old type. BTW this patcher also crashes on my PC, it gives a message 'unknown version' referring to some help file.

I tried reinstalling again tonight using all the good advice: deinstalled everything, checked the registry for remaining stuff (seemed clear); reinstalled from CD (EUDVD 1.0 version) by starting the setup.exe with administratot rights; tried to run the old upgrade patches but they didn't run properly); patched them with the NO-DVD 1.4b; downloaded and installed DirectX 9.c (I'm not sure it actually installed anything, it doesn't give any feedback); applied compatibilty XP service pack 3 and administrator rights to sh3.exe and tried to run it: again it stopped after completing the red progress bar. So no luck...

My system data:
    It's a brand new machine so installed (not updated) with Windows 7 Professional 64 bits.
    Processor Intel i7 quad @ 2.93Ghz
    Memory 6 GB
    Graphics card NVIDIA Geforce GTS 240

Originally posted by finklaar:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When running the SH3 1.4b patch i got the message "I can update your SH3 1.0 version to version 1.3" (not 1.4b??!)

Yes, I see the same message. Had the patch already on my harddisk so I think it's just an old typo. BTW this patcher also crashes on my PC, it gives a message 'unknown version' referring to some help file.

I tried reinstalling again tonight using all the good advice: deinstalled everything, checked the registry for remaining stuff (seemed clear); reinstalled from CD (EUDVD 1.0 version) by starting the setup.exe with administrator rights; tried to run the old upgrade patches but they didn't run properly); patched them with the NO-DVD 1.4b; downloaded and installed DirectX 9.c (I'm not sure it actually installed anything, it doesn't give any feedback); applied compatibilty XP service pack 3 and administrator rights to sh3.exe and tried to run it: again it stopped after completing the red progress bar. The DirectX resolution tweak didn't help either. So no luck...

My system data:
    It's a brand new machine so installed (not updated) with Windows 7 Professional 64 bits.
    Processor Intel i7 quad @ 2.93Ghz
    Memory 6 GB
    Graphics card NVIDIA Geforce GTS 240 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey,
    I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems
    I'll take another look at the process I used and try to clear up any ambiguity. I work as an engineer and when it comes to documenting a process, there is often as many ways to interperate them as there is people in the world! lol

It's quite late at night where I am, try and do it tomorrow

Kind regards,
    goes211

Originally posted by bobotai:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maverick_U2007:

Maverick
    Hi Maverick,

Could the difference between these versions be the cause that i can't get it running?
    I followed exactly the procedure as Goes211 but for me it keeps crashing.

Thanks.
    Gr. bobotai </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey!
    Thanks, the trick works =D
    I'll take a look for the tips on making those super mods work... not sure how and frankly I'm a little too tired to fight with it right now, hehe. I hope it goes smoothly, they take the realism to a whole new level!

Originally posted by Maverick_U2007:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goes211:
    Hi all
    Got it working in windows 7 using a combination of the methods here, mostly the first one.
    1. Use the posted removal tool for starforce
    NB for some reason, starforce wasn't installed on my machine =)
    2. Find and unzip Silent Hunter 3 v1.4b [ENGLISH] No-DVD/Fixed EXE
    3. Install SH3 and exit before running the game cos it'll crash
    4. Patch the game for v1.4 DVD euro version, there's a link on subsim.com,
    NB this is different to the file called up in step 2!
    5. Copy and paste the unziped files from step 2 into the game directory
    6. Delete the desktop short cut and create a new short cut to desktop from the game directory
    7. Start the game

It should work, if not try switching steps 4&5

If it still doesn't work, I'll make a more detaild post.

Also, it plays in a funny resolution. I've seen a post here that provides a direct x fix
    MY GAME CRASHES WITH IT
    Im sure it's because I'm doing something wrong, I can't seem to edit the .cfg file and save it back as a .cfg file, it becomes a text file as I've to use note pad to open it.

Can anyone suggest a work around?

ALso I've not installed any of the add-on packs, will they work now I've done stage 5? Hint hint?

Many thanks for all your help!
    Good luck

Goes211

As for the Res fix...Copy and paste the .cfg file you inserted into your game folder and place it on the desktop. Then open it with Note pad. Make the changes to X and Y and then copy and past it back into the game folder....overwrite the one that is there and it should work...well it did for me. But there again I haven't had some of the problems that people are describing here, perhaps I was just lucky.

When you are talking about add-on packs I presume you are talking Mods and super mods.

Some mods just require JSGME to make them work, others are enabled using and .exe file. For the latter you will need to make another copy of the exisiting SH3 game folder so that you always have a 'clean version'.

If you require full instructions on how to do it, you can use the 'search function' as it has been posted or you can post here and I will describe it for you. I currently have 3 versions of SH3 on my PC and all work independently of each other.

Maverick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been following this thread with interest, so much so that I decided to pull out my copy of SHIII and see if I could get it to work. I've done that to an extent, but my problem is the resolution fix. The game seems to run fine at 1024x768, but I cannot get the game to even start at 1920x1200. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or it just won't run at 1920x1200.

"Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" LtCDR Samuel D Dealey
    SHIV Guide I Imperial Japanese Navy l US Submarines: Pacific Theater

Originally posted by tambor198:
    I've been following this thread with interest, so much so that I decided to pull out my copy of SHIII and see if I could get it to work. I've done that to an extent, but my problem is the resolution fix. The game seems to run fine at 1024x768, but I cannot get the game to even start at 1920x1200. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or it just won't run at 1920x1200.
    Did you try the Resultion fix mentioned above. As I said earlier, I actually had to change the .cfg 3 times before the game would actually accept it and now I can play at 1650 x 1080.

Maybe you could try altering the X and Y details only in short steps and see what that does to your game.

Maverick

PS at least you can get it to run, others cannot get that far at the moment...

One of the Older Generation and Proud of it!!!
    Intel Corei7 2600k, 8gb Corsair RAM, Nvidia GTX670 Graphics, 120GB SSD & 128 SSD with Windows 7, 1TB HDD.

Hi Maverick

Yes I have tried the resolution fix a number of times, but sofar each time I get the same results, nothing happens. I'll keep trying and if I get things working I come back and report my results.

"Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" LtCDR Samuel D Dealey
    SHIV Guide I Imperial Japanese Navy l US Submarines: Pacific Theater

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast