Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent Hunter III on Windows 7 | Forums

Originally posted by bobotai:
    Same problem here.

I tried all above, but my game keeps crashing just like finklaar

Just to be sure: in which folders exactly do i place the d3d9.cfg and d3d9.dll files?

Thanks for your help guys!
    Thats a little complex. I did a search for "d3d" on my comp and it seems I have a d3d9.dll in two folders:
    C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-directx-direct3d9_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7100.0_none_8f5f008 a6e397878

And the other in:
    C:\Windows\System32

I think the long one is just some install-thingy. I think both the .cfg-file and the .dll-file goes into the
    C:\Windows\System32 folder.

When I got these errors I re-installed and older game. I have a game with DX9, that I could force a DX9 install from. Normally it would say that you already have the newest version of DX and then abort. But one of my games doesn't do that. Maybe if you have one like that, you could try it out.

I hope that helps.

Daqar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I had the same problem with Crash to Desktop, but after I changed the privilege level to Run as Administrator, it solved the problem and game runs fine.
    If you haven't already done it, right click on SH3.exe file, select properties, then compatibility, then change settings for all users, then make sure Run This Program as Administrator is checked. I have had no crashes since

Originally posted by Jacob2739:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bobotai:
    Same problem here.

Just to be sure: in which folders exactly do i place the d3d9.cfg and d3d9.dll files?

Thats a little complex. I did a search for "d3d" on my comp and it seems I have a d3d9.dll in two folders:
    C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-directx-direct3d9_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7100.0_none_8f5f008 a6e397878

And the other in:

I think the long one is just some install-thingy. I think both the .cfg-file and the .dll-file goes into the

When I got these errors I re-installed and older game. I have a game with DX9, that I could force a DX9 install from. Normally it would say that you already have the newest version of DX and then abort. But one of my games doesn't do that. Maybe if you have one like that, you could try it out.

I hope that helps.

Daqar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry mate but twice in 2 posts you have given out wrong information and this last one could create problems for people if they follow your advice.

The DirectXRes fix goes into one place and one place only and that is the Game Data file on your hard drive. (Your hard drive/Program files/Ubisoft/Silenthunter 3). It is as simple as that.

As you also appear not to have Windows 7 then you cannot say that altering the main Cfg file is sufficient.

The process IS to install the d3d9.cfg and d3d9.dll files into the location I have just mentioned and then alter the resolution settings in X and Y in the d3d9.cfg file. (This fix only solves the issue of screen resolution in the game)

Maverick

One of the Older Generation and Proud of it!!!
    Intel Corei7 2600k, 8gb Corsair RAM, Nvidia GTX670 Graphics, 120GB SSD & 128 SSD with Windows 7, 1TB HDD.

Originally posted by Maverick_U2007:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jacob2739:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bobotai:
    Same problem here.

And the other in:

I hope that helps.

Daqar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry mate but twice in 2 posts you have given out wrong information and this last one could create problems for people if they follow your advice.

The DirectXRes fix goes into one place and one place only and that is the Game Data file on your hard drive. (Your hard drive/Program files/Ubisoft/Silenthunter 3). It is as simple as that.

As you also appear not to have Windows 7 then you cannot say that altering the main Cfg file is sufficient.

The process IS to install the d3d9.cfg and d3d9.dll files into the location I have just mentioned and then alter the resolution settings in X and Y in the d3d9.cfg file. (This fix only solves the issue of screen resolution in the game)

Maverick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about that. I just try and help as best as I can. And I AM running Windows 7.

I was just trying to explain what I did to make my game work.

Jacob

No, I will apologise to you, I presumed when you said that you had not run SH3 for a while that you didn't have Windows 7 running. I did not also intend to criticise you for trying to help.

Maverick

Intel Corei7 2600k, 8gb Corsair RAM, Nvidia GTX670 Graphics, 120GB SSD & 128 SSD with Windows 7, 1TB HDD.

Originally posted by Maverick_U2007:
    No, I will apologise to you, I presumed when you said that you had not run SH3 for a while that you didn't have Windows 7 running. I did not also intend to criticise you for trying to help.

Maverick
    No biggie!

But I'll just watch this topic from the side then, seems you know what you're doing!

Jacob

Ok guys, this is the score so far:

1. Installed SH3 with hack to avoid Starforce driver / security

2. Installed the d3d9.cfg and d3d9.dll files in C:/Program files/Ubisoft/Silenthunter 3/
    i modified d3d9.cfg to my correct resolution

3. Run the SH3 application as administrator (even tried to run it in Windows XP compatibility mode)

Final result: It still crashes after the intro + red balk..:-(

Any other clue's?
    Thanks again for your support.

Gr. Johan

Originally posted by bobotai:
    Ok guys, this is the score so far:

1. Installed SH3 with hack to avoid Starforce driver / security

2. Installed the d3d9.cfg and d3d9.dll files in C:/Program files/Ubisoft/Silenthunter 3/
    i modified d3d9.cfg to my correct resolution

3. Run the SH3 application as administrator (even tried to run it in Windows XP compatibility mode)

Final result: It still crashes after the intro + red balk..:-(

Any other clue's?
    Thanks again for your support.

Gr. Johan
    I am going to presume that you are on windows 7.

The order for doing things should really be....

Install the game, (using the starforce removal tool)I would install it in any other folder that the standard Yourhard drive/Programs file folder. (My preference but also solved an issue with Vista)

Run it as administrator. If it doesn't work and hangs after the intial red bar load. then

Remove the intro movies (place them somewhere else whilst you see if they affect it)

Run it again. If it works and the resolution is off then use the DirectXRes Fix.

If the game still does not work then post your system specs here and lets have another look.

Maverick

Hi Maverick,

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, i run Windows 7, but good you asked..:-)

Completely removed SH3 from my system and started to reinstall.
    According your suggestion i tried to change the default installation directory during installation.
    The moment i push the "Browse" button for choosing another installation directory the installation crashed with the error window popping up saying:
    "InstallDriver Module has stopped working".

After closing that window a new window pops up giving me the error message:
    "1628: Failed to complete installation".

Any clues?
    In the meantime i will continue to reinstall (without changing the installation dir).

Thanks again!

Gr. Johan

Hi Maverick,

I followed your sequence exactly.
    The program crashes at any point after the starforce removal procedure have been performed.

So i doesn't hang after the initial red bar load, but simply crashes to desktop:

With our without admin rights,
    In any compatibility mode,
    With or without the intro movies removed,
    With or without the DirectXRes Fix.

And on top of that it crashes during installation if i try to change the default installation dir, like i described in my other reply.

Looking forward to the next steps to perform.

Gr. Johan

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast