Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When using open source makes you an enemy of the state | Forums

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tech...ntellectual-property

Guadamuz has done some digging and discovered that an influential lobby group is asking the US government to basically consider open source as the equivalent of piracy - or even worse.

It turns out that the International Intellectual Property Alliance, an umbrella group for organisations including the MPAA and RIAA, has requested with the US Trade Representative to consider countries like Indonesia, Brazil and India for its "Special 301 watchlist" because they use open source software.
    "The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.[Europe], under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep. If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, judges and governors shall all become wolves. " - Thomas Jefferson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

What a bunch of 'eh-holes.

Something Ive noticed, capitalism is moving closer and closer to communism seeing the gubment wants to control EVERY aspect of one's life.

Proudly Flying on Hyperlobby as _AH_Prop http://aceshigh.ws/forum/index.php

Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Guadamuz has done some digging and discovered that an influential lobby group is asking the US government to basically consider open source as the equivalent of piracy - or even worse.

It turns out that the International Intellectual Property Alliance, an umbrella group for organisations including the MPAA and RIAA, has requested with the US Trade Representative to consider countries like Indonesia, Brazil and India for its "Special 301 watchlist" because they use open source software.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTF!

This is what happens when the loons are guarding the hen house.

Originally posted by DrHerb:
    What a bunch of 'eh-holes.

Something Ive noticed, capitalism is moving closer and closer to communism seeing the gubment wants to control EVERY aspect of one's life.
    I think you'll find in this case it's more big business 'lobbying' (a.k.a. bribing) the gubment to eliminate competition, DrHerb.

Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence. William Blake

I should choose my words more carefully....

Big buisness is turning out to be the gubment these days anyway. The writing is on the wall.

If this all comes to fruition, they think piracy is bad now? Itll get much more rampant.

Proudly Flying on Hyperlobby as _AH_Prop http://aceshigh.ws/forum/index.php

Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Guadamuz has done some digging and discovered that an influential lobby group is asking the US government to basically consider open source as the equivalent of piracy - or even worse.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is an example of our capitalist system at its worst: destroy your competition by making them outlaws. I'm sure they are making the case that the open source community steals proprietary company technology, yet I imagine the opposite is by far more prevalent.
    Windows 7 home 64 bit

Have a Revolution!

(You've done it before, hey, just do it again!

Originally posted by falling-bird:
    Have a Revolution!

(You've done it before, hey, just do it again!

Er, yes. I'd recommend you avoid this sort of thing though:

"Death to the fascist insect that preys upon the life of the people!"

Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence. William Blake

Originally posted by AndyJWest:
    Power is a drug. It doesn't matter if there are fascists, communists or just plain ol thugs running the show. They all do the same thing when the nation is sleeping.

Originally posted by Jaws2002:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
    Power is a drug. It doesn't matter if there are fascists, communists or just plain ol thugs running the show. They all do the same thing when the nation is sleeping. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was being a little obscure, evidently. "Death to the fascist insect..." was a slogan of the Symbionese Liberation Army, not one I'd support myself.

On the other hand "Feed the poor, eat the rich!" has its attractions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast