Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: When using open source makes you an enemy of the state | Forums

  1. #1
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tech...ntellectual-property

    Guadamuz has done some digging and discovered that an influential lobby group is asking the US government to basically consider open source as the equivalent of piracy - or even worse.


    It turns out that the International Intellectual Property Alliance, an umbrella group for organisations including the MPAA and RIAA, has requested with the US Trade Representative to consider countries like Indonesia, Brazil and India for its "Special 301 watchlist" because they use open source software.
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member DrHerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,437
    What a bunch of 'eh-holes.

    Something Ive noticed, capitalism is moving closer and closer to communism seeing the gubment wants to control EVERY aspect of one's life.
     

  3. #3
    Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tech...ntellectual-property

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Guadamuz has done some digging and discovered that an influential lobby group is asking the US government to basically consider open source as the equivalent of piracy - or even worse.


    It turns out that the International Intellectual Property Alliance, an umbrella group for organisations including the MPAA and RIAA, has requested with the US Trade Representative to consider countries like Indonesia, Brazil and India for its "Special 301 watchlist" because they use open source software.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


    WTF!

    This is what happens when the loons are guarding the hen house.
     

  4. #4
    Senior Member AndyJWest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,747
    Originally posted by DrHerb:
    What a bunch of 'eh-holes.

    Something Ive noticed, capitalism is moving closer and closer to communism seeing the gubment wants to control EVERY aspect of one's life.
    I think you'll find in this case it's more big business 'lobbying' (a.k.a. bribing) the gubment to eliminate competition, DrHerb.
     

  5. #5
    Senior Member DrHerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,437
    I should choose my words more carefully....

    Big buisness is turning out to be the gubment these days anyway. The writing is on the wall.

    If this all comes to fruition, they think piracy is bad now? Itll get much more rampant.
     

  6. #6
    Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tech...ntellectual-property

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Guadamuz has done some digging and discovered that an influential lobby group is asking the US government to basically consider open source as the equivalent of piracy - or even worse.


    It turns out that the International Intellectual Property Alliance, an umbrella group for organisations including the MPAA and RIAA, has requested with the US Trade Representative to consider countries like Indonesia, Brazil and India for its "Special 301 watchlist" because they use open source software.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is an example of our capitalist system at its worst: destroy your competition by making them outlaws. I'm sure they are making the case that the open source community steals proprietary company technology, yet I imagine the opposite is by far more prevalent.
     

  7. #7
    Have a Revolution!

    (You've done it before, hey, just do it again!

     

  8. #8
    Senior Member AndyJWest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,747
    Originally posted by falling-bird:
    Have a Revolution!

    (You've done it before, hey, just do it again!

    Er, yes. I'd recommend you avoid this sort of thing though:

    "Death to the fascist insect that preys upon the life of the people!"
     

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jaws2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,110
    Originally posted by AndyJWest:
    "Death to the fascist insect that preys upon the life of the people!"
    Power is a drug. It doesn't matter if there are fascists, communists or just plain ol thugs running the show. They all do the same thing when the nation is sleeping.
     

  10. #10
    Senior Member AndyJWest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,747
    Originally posted by Jaws2002:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
    "Death to the fascist insect that preys upon the life of the people!"
    Power is a drug. It doesn't matter if there are fascists, communists or just plain ol thugs running the show. They all do the same thing when the nation is sleeping. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I was being a little obscure, evidently. "Death to the fascist insect..." was a slogan of the Symbionese Liberation Army, not one I'd support myself.

    On the other hand "Feed the poor, eat the rich!" has its attractions.
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •