Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Gameplay feedback and new features wishlist | Forums

Smile I like the graphics but do not like challenge mode

Hello,

I realize that you've made the game for young people but I got it because it was intriguing and I liked the graphics on the demo. However, I do not like the challenge mode because it makes my blood pressure go out the window so I don't play the game very often,. Yes,. keep challenge mode for the adrenaline loving players but why not have a not so pressurized game play for us who physically have difficulty with the stress level of saving their people before they get destroyed. I am female and a gramma and do not usually play these kinds of games but this one was not a 'shoote'r game so I tried it, but it's a physically difficult because of the timed disasters modes. Plus the camera rotation is very difficult to manage in challenge mode. I spent too much time fighting the camera angles just to see where I was. Keep in mind that I was an adult when pong and pacman came out. lol

So have a non challenge mode. It's why I liked Myst when that came out. I could admire the artwork and puzzle out things at my own pace and not have to beat a clock before disaster struck. I do not like outright killing games.

The gaming industry seems to cater to young adrenaline junkies and then they wonder why other ages don't play the games. It's become a a self serving cycle of adrenaline games feeding adrenaline junkies but you guys are blocking the rest of humanity out of gaming. It's something to consider.

So have a non-challenge mode for us old fogeys with high blood pressure and make the camera easier to manage. I had a heck of a time trying to work that volcano one before it killed the villages.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by porkypine90 View Post
    Hello,

I realize that you've made the game for young people but I got it because it was intriguing and I liked the graphics on the demo. However, I do not like the challenge mode because it makes my blood pressure go out the window so I don't play the game very often,. Yes,. keep challenge mode for the adrenaline loving players but why not have a not so pressurized game play for us who physically have difficulty with the stress level of saving their people before they get destroyed. I am female and a gramma and do not usually play these kinds of games but this one was not a 'shoote'r game so I tried it, but it's a physically difficult because of the timed disasters modes. Plus the camera rotation is very difficult to manage in challenge mode. I spent too much time fighting the camera angles just to see where I was. Keep in mind that I was an adult when pong and pacman came out. lol

So have a non challenge mode. It's why I liked Myst when that came out. I could admire the artwork and puzzle out things at my own pace and not have to beat a clock before disaster struck. I do not like outright killing games.

The gaming industry seems to cater to young adrenaline junkies and then they wonder why other ages don't play the games. It's become a a self serving cycle of adrenaline games feeding adrenaline junkies but you guys are blocking the rest of humanity out of gaming. It's something to consider.

So have a non-challenge mode for us old fogeys with high blood pressure and make the camera easier to manage. I had a heck of a time trying to work that volcano one before it killed the villages.
    Agree with the above as an adult male. Some nice sandbox games/or make your own map but this has been asked for but no reply I guess the game has stopped being developed!

One feature that is urgently needed is to be able to skip videos when redoing a scene after failure. Not being able to skip second and third time around gets really annoying and takes the fun out of bothering to try again.

Nice Godgame, but (too) short and simple

From Dust is a really nice game: the way of controlling the elements is brilliantly done and the concept of helping a population I really liked. However, I was done with this game in less than one day and unlike other games I feel there little fun left in this game once finished.

Challenge mode
    This mode completely lacks any fun: it takes me a couple of seconds to figure out what to do, but I fail the first few times because the AI-response is somewhat slow as well the controlls aren't perfect. Instead of any real challenge, these levels are just annoying.
    Rather than just some time-challenges, it could have been more fun if there were some levels that required some serious thinking.

Story mode
    The story-mode on the other hand was quite fun to play, yet most of the time very easy. I don't think the game being easy makes it bad, but I do think there could have been a lot more of creativity.

Personally this game reminds me of the game Populous, one of my favorite games. However, whereas I could play Populous for days or even weeks, From Dust won't keep me playing longer than a day. I would really love to see aspects of both games more combined. From dust is a really beatiful game, while populous has a more fun gameplay.

Wishlist
    For my feature wishlist I can keep it plain simple: MORE!
    More specifically I would have liked more interactivity with the villages. Why not having the villages grow into something bigger, while having to protect their expansions? The villages could then perhaps gain certain powers of themselves (like the water and fire-repellent) And perhaps make the villages interact differently with their surrounding (e.g.: a rocky environment would make the village grow differently than a sandy environment and make the villages gain different benefits).

Also more creative dangers would be fun: now there's water and fire. What about other forces of nature? Hurricanes, tornado's, earthquakes, blizzards, avalanches, mudslides. While thinink of nature, what about animals? Having a game that is somewhat compareable to the prehistorical age, the animals could have gained a more vital role: they could be dangerous, while also be essential for food. A nice lesson for childrin in this game could be that balance must be kept in animals in humans to prevent things from going wrong.

I think there is just way more potential to this game than what has been made of it. In my opinion From Dust is a nice base for something that could be much bigger.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011