Thread: Running any game in windowed mode | Forums

I have just got a new LCDTV as a new monitor and it doesnt seem to like some games and their default, non-widescreen resolutions (and wont display anything)...now most games ive had this problem with ive been able to alt+enter to run in Windowed mode and have then been able to set the game to a resolution my TV can handle...

but with a few games alt+enter doesnt work, so what i want to know, is there anyway to force a game to run in windowed mode from the start? I remember XP had an option under the shortcut properties but i cant find anything for vista
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't say for sure, but you can try using these TOOLS which I'm giving. They may or may NOT work on all PC games.........

DXWnd:
    http://appaholic.co.uk/2007/10...nto-a-windowed-mode/

3D-Analyze:
    http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/download/

DL this program, and then Select the Game's exe e.g. gamename.EXE, and click on the RUN button. But First make sure to *Check/Tick* the option Force Windowed Mode, under the Performance heading/tab.

Some games cannot be forced in windowed mode. It will actually depend on that specific title, and DirectX version of the game/OS, as well as the Game's Aspect Ratio. Some games have shortcut commands like e.g.

C:\program files\ubisoft\GamesName\Game.exe -window or -windowmode etc.

By the way, what all games are you actually playing right now ? Some games also have variables like e.g. Fullscreen=, which we can edit inside the game's CONFIG .ini file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well there are two games giving me issues, Blazing Angels 2 and SW Battlefront 2...ill try those programs though

neither of those worked, DXwind did nothing and the 3D Analyzer had an error meesage about copying a dll file

Originally posted by shinobi2204:
    neither of those worked, DXwind did nothing and the 3D Analyzer had an error meesage about copying a dll file
    Hmmm....... Can you tell me what was the exact ERROR message you got ? Why was it a .dll error ?

And while using DXWnd, which DX version did you use to Hook the file ? Try the 'Automatic' mode, and if that fails, run the game's .EXE under Windows XP SP2 Compatibility Mode, and then try to use the DX9 version.

But again, like I said before, somes games cannot be forced to work in Windowed mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well the 3Danalyzer error was about copying the ForceDLL.dll file
    and i tried both suggestions for DXwnd...nothing

Originally posted by shinobi2204:
    well the 3Danalyzer error was about copying the ForceDLL.dll file
    First of all, Thank You for your PROMPT reply. *Much appreciated*.

OK, did you actually install 3D-Analyze, inside the game's Folder/path by mistake ? If yes, then reinstall this whole APP under some other Windows folder/path. After that select the game's EXE, and follow the method which I gave.

You can also try COPYING the ForceDLL.dll file, inside the game's actual Folder, from the 3D-Analyse folder. Copy the file, and place it under the Game's actual Windows path/folder. Just see what happens ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i tried to add the file myself but it still gave the error...and its in its own folder...

If i could find BA2's config file then i might be ok...but i cant find it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, for the game Star Wars Battlefront 2 try this Command Line parameter i.e. /win. Create a shortcut of the game's EXE, and insert this inside the TARGET box line:

just for e.g. "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront 2\GameData\BattlefrontII.exe" /win

You can also specify the Game 'width height' via this command i.e., /resolution [width height].

Not sure, whether this tool works under VISTA OS or not, but give it a try (D3DWindower):

http://www.fileplanet.com/1981...ower-English-version

http://www.filefront.com/13838...D3DWindower-English/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Any progress from your side ? You can try the Last tip which I've given, for the game 'SW Battlefront 2', If you wish. Just check whether it works or not (i.e. the /win command) ?

Thank You.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------