Thread: Length of U-Boat Missions | Forums

Can anyone here tell me what the average length of time a U-Boat during WWII would be out at sea for?

Just curious
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

depends on the boat. a big U- cruiser could go all the way to japan with out stopping. but the basic VIIC could go all the way to the mid atlantic and back. Still hunt for a bit, and have fuel left over. Now in RL they had food problems which we do not. So you can stay out as long as you have weapons and fuel. That could be about a month or longer. Your the captain, its up to you.

Cheers for that... The reason I asked is because I seemed to be running out of fuel too quickly and having to head back to base after only a couple of days...

My own fault though, because it didn't occur to me to dive and spend some time on batteries to conserve diesel. *D'oh!*

What I do now is submerge after leaving port and travel on batteries til they reach 50%, surface and travel on diesel til the batetries are charged then submerge again, etc. I keep doing this til I get to my destination.

NOt sure if it's the correct tactic, but it seems logical.

The faster you go on any of the systems will drain them quicker. Just travel at 1/3 or less unless you need to get to your prey quickly. Going fast also makes you a bigger target and negates the effectiveness of your sonar.

Ahead Flank or Full should only be used if you're chasing a merchant down and only for a short period of time.

What I've been doing is standard speed while on the surface and 1/3 while submerged. This seems to be efficient enough without taking ages to get where I'm going.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peteuplink:
    What I've been doing is standard speed while on the surface and 1/3 while submerged. This seems to be efficient enough without taking ages to get where I'm going. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its actually inneficient, when on the surface you are using 2 engines, but only one to run the boat (check outside at the props) The other is recharging your batteries. The most efficient in game is 1/3 ahead on the surface. Faster speeds and diving lessens your radius.

I travel at normal ahead for cruising, and then if i run low on fuel for the return journey slow down to 1/3 ahead. Ask the navigator the ranges and you will see if you have enough fuel to get there easily. You should really be running out of torps before fuel.

Also in real life they didnt have food problems, since they had enough to last a few months eating fairly well, and if the food was running low they would just cut back a little. Also when refueling at a tanker they would also get more food. So there is no need for food to be modelled in game. (fuel runs out before food)

I also use the navigator alot. If you set a long course. then set your speed ask the navigatore how much fuel is avaliable at that speed. he will give you a number then ask him how far your path is. with these 2 numbers you will know if you can travel at that sped or need to slow do to reach your objective and get back to base. I only speed up when chasing a contact. or running that is. heh.