Thread: From Dust on Steam - Ubisoft launcher? | Forums

If I buy From Dust on Steam, will it launch to the Ubisoft launcher, then launch the game? Or will it skip Ubi's launcher and just launch on it's own?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

If you buy it from Steam, I don't know about the Ubisoft launcher, but you most certainly need to have the steam launcher running.

Come to think on it, if the game has an Ubisoft launcher tagged onto it when you buy it from anywhere else but steam, then it will still have it once steam sticks there crap onto it too, as they don't remove anything. Which leads on to the point, you should be asking this on the steam forums.

No, I shouldn't be asking this on the steam forums. The deal is I buy all my PC games on Steam (which is the norm for most people), and while most games launch properly, Ubisoft games like PoP Forgotten Sands force me to launch into a launcher before playing the game.

I'd like to know if From Dust will do this before I decide to buy it.

Hi there,

The game will feature the Ubisoft Launcher.

It will feature the launcher no matter where you purchase the game.

So I need to run the steam client AND the Ubisoft launcher simultaneously?

Has this "launcher" rootkit abilities? How many background processes and services has it?
    Any autorun tasks? Can I uninstall it completely?

Sorry for my questions, but I haven't found any informations about this. :/

Originally posted by Xaares:
    So I need to run the steam client AND the Ubisoft launcher simultaneously?

Has this "launcher" rootkit abilities? How many background processes and services has it?
    Any autorun tasks? Can I uninstall it completely?

Sorry for my questions, but I haven't found any informations about this. :/
    I have not seen the game on PC - but the following is for other titles with use both the launcher and one time only activation, and are from my own personal point of view.

The launcher is required to launch the game, hence the name.

If you uninstall it - it will remove completely - however like I say it may stop the game from launching - since it's interlinked.

It does not run automatically - only when you attempt to start the game.

The Launcher will auto patch the game, when and if any updates are released, along with supplying news and updates relating to the game.

The normal game start process would be that you click the shortcut [for non steam versions] or the listing in steam to start the game, that then starts the Launcher.

You then click 'play game' on the launcher - to start the game.

If you want to exit Steam - you should be able to do so after the launcher has started - and before you press 'play game'

Hope this helps.

Remember the game may be available from other digital retailers, should you not want to use Steam - such as the Ubishop or Direct to Drive.

If you require more detailed information about the processes it runs or installs - you should contact Ubisoft Support - via the links in my signature.

Thank you for your help.