Thread: Cant start realmyst 3D on vista 64bit : | Forums

Hi,

Im trying to start realmyst 3d on vista 64bit .
    My windows is fully updated !
    I tried to run it on compatibility windows 95,98,2000 nothing worked also tried ot disable what someone in the forums said didnt work .
    Even installed quicktime 6.5.2 older version didnt work .

How can it be someone sell a product that dosent work ?

When i try to start the game i see an icon then blakc screen for 3 seconds then its back to windows .

My pc : Is due2core 3ghz 4gb ram nvidia gtx 8800 768mb .

How come they sold me it and i said what system i have and it dosent work ?
    Why no one make a patch for vista 64 bit users ?

Thanks for the help .
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Q. How can it be someone sell a product that dosent work ?
    A. It's not that realMyst doesn't work - it just doesn't work with your Vista 64-bit operating system! This is a very old game that was written long before Vista was released, so you must rely on Vista's capabilities to run legacy (old) software. In particular, and over and above any other Vista problems, you may well not be able to run other legacy programs with your 64-bit system. This is also a problem with Win XP 64-bit, BTW, so you are not alone.

Q. How come they sold me it and i said what system i have and it dosent work ?
    A. Some folks will tell you anything to sell a product and take your money. Unfortunately, now the seller has your money, and you do not. If the seller told you that realMyst would work with Vista 64-bit and if that seller is honest, you should be able to return the game for a refund.

Q. Why no one make a patch for vista 64 bit users ?
    A. Again, realMyst is a very old game. It's no longer sold by the company that originally released it, which means it's dead in terms of any further patches being made available. So, the chances of any company spending time and money on a realMyst patch for Vista 64-bit are slim and none...actually, none!

Suggestions, to be done in the order shown. Print out the suggestions, so that you can check off each step as you complete it and thus prevent forgetting a step.

1. In general,
    -- Always log into Vista with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications before starting realMyst.
    -- Never boot up with the realMyst CD in the drive, or with a disc in any drive if you have more than one drive.
    -- If the realMyst CD autostarts when inserted into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    -- Always start realMyst with the Desktop icon, not with the CD menu item.

2. If you haven't done so in the past couple of days, run Windows Update (Internet Explorer > Tools > Windows Update), and install at least the Critical Updates.

3. If you don't already have it, install Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). If it isn't one of the Update options, see Information about Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and Quick start: Service Pack 1.

4. Update your video driver to the latest Vista 64-bit version from NVIDIA. This is ForceWare 175.19, available here.

5. Update your sound driver to the latest Vista 64-bit version from your PC manufacturer or from your motherboard manufacturer.

6. If your motherboard has an NVIDIA nForce chipset, update its drivers to the latest from your PC manufacturer or from your motherboard manufacturer, or from NVIDIA. The NVIDIA drivers are available starting here. Click on nForce for Product Type:, then click on your Product Series:, Product:, and Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit.

7. If you are overclocking, set *everything* back to OEM specifications. Reboot, and start real Myst.

8. If you have another QuickTime version installed in addition to version 6.5.2, uninstall the other QuickTime version using Control Panel's Programs Utility. Then, be certain that the QuickTime 6.5.2 options are set properly.
    -- a. Uninstall the other QuickTime version using the Control Panel Programs utility.
    ----- 1. Click on Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
    ----- 2. Click on the other QuickTime entry, then click on Uninstall. Follow the Wizard's prompts.
    ----- 3. When uninstallation is complete, close back to the Desktop.
    -- b. Start QuickTime 6.5.2, and click on Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences > QuickTime Settings.
    -- c. Scroll down to Video Settings.
    ----- 1. If it isn't already active, click on the Safe Mode [GDI Only] radio button to activate it.
    ----- 2. The Options radio button should NOT be active, with the settings under it grayed out.
    -- d. Close the QuickTime Settings page, and close QuickTime back to the Desktop.
    -- e. Insert the realMyst CD into the drive, and allow it to spin up to speed.
    ----- 1. If the CD autostarts, cancel back to the Desktop.
    -- f. Start realMyst by clicking on the Desktop icon (NOT the "Play" option on the CD).

9. Apply the realMyst version 1.1.1 patch, available here or here. When patch application is complete, close back to the Desktop, and start realMyst.

10. Some programs run properly on Vista only if you run them with full Administrator privileges and with the Run as administrator option enabled. See How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista.

11. Try what's called out in:
    -- a. How to troubleshoot program compatibility issues in Windows Vista
    -- b. How to troubleshoot issues that may prevent a program from being installed correctly on a Windows Vista-based computer
    -- c. Advanced methods to troubleshoot a program that does not run as expected after it is installed on Windows Vista

12. Re-install realMyst from a clean boot. If you originally installed realMyst to a drive other than C:, re-install it to your C: drive.
    -- a. Uninstall realMyst using the Control Panel Programs utility.
    ----- 1. Click on Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
    ----- 2. Click on the "realMYST Interactive 3D Edition" entry, then click on Uninstall. Follow the Wizard's prompts.
    ----- 3. When the uninstall is complete, close back to the Desktop.
    -- b. Do step 1 in How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista.
    -- c. Re-install realMyst.
    -- d. Do step 7 in How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista.
    -- e. If realMyst still doesn't play properly:
    ----- 1. Apply the version 1.1.1 patch.
    ----- 2. Run the game in Compatibility Mode and with the Run as administrator option enabled.

Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote