Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question of Tactics? | Forums

I have a situation that has arisen more than a few times before and wondered what both 'real' sub commanders and yourselfs would do.

I have stumbled among an enemy fleet comprising of a number of heavy crusiers and small passenger ships.
    The convoy is formed up in two parallel lines with the Heavy crusiers at the front and back of the lines,the passenger ships in the middle of the lines,and the flanks held by a couple of destroyers.
    The two lines are only about 800m apart.

This would'nt be a problem,except im 1500m behind the tail of the right line!!.
    Its a moonlit night and i have about 4-5hrs left before it get light,i can happily sit at this distance behind them without being spotted.

As i see it i have three options as follows:

1.Call of the attack as im badly placed.

2.Go to flank speed and try and do a huge semi-circle around the convoy to get a good position...all before it get light.

3.Shoot all my fish up the exust pipes of the enemy ships to disable them,then dive and return later to finish off.

I'd be interested to know from those who research what a real commander would probably do.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Option 2 would be the best, 3 has too many unknowns, small target area, poor reliability of impact detonation from the rear and no shipping guide to tell you the depth ships will be running at for magnetic torps.

Option 1 really isn't worth considering as your there to sink ships, and try you must.

I agree with and on thats what I would do, as for what a real sub comander would do, I think he would disengage for the fact that his place ment is bad and having that many destroyers and heavy crusiers come after him would not be a good thing, expecially because the pasenger liners would probably be off limits (civilian target) Perhaps one of the more experienced captains familiar with the rules of engagement could answer this better.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition 3.2 GHz 4 gigs ram
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4, GeFORCE 8800 GTS Factory Overclocked 678MB XXX ALPHA DOG EDITION,
    Windows Vista 64 Bit Ultimate

The general orders issued to the US Submarine Force on 08DEC41 were: Conduct unrestricted submarine warfare on all Japanese shipping.

Simple and to the point.

"Dog down the hatches and take her deep boys!"
    [url=http://forums.ubi.com/

wow I stand corrected and envious!

Thanks Dgrayson
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4, GeFORCE 8800 GTS Factory Overclocked 678MB XXX ALPHA DOG EDITION,

Originally posted by pookapotamus:
    wow I stand corrected and envious!

Thanks Dgrayson
    It wasn't a correction, it was an answer to your question.

And pook, we have all seen your lady and believe me, you have nothing to be envious about.

"Dog down the hatches and take her deep boys!"
    [url=http://forums.ubi.com/

thanks Dgrayson married her 2 years ago and still have no idea why she ssaid yes???

Realistically, depending on the speed of the transports, that convoy probably would have been travelling at a speed that wouldn't allow for a sufficient end round.

In the game, the end round is probably your best option if you think you can pull it off. If not, fire at the target that gives you the best angle and cross your fingers. You may luck out with overlap too, but likely not enough to do decent enough damage to be able to clean up afterwards.

Your fourth option is to fire off one torpedo, hope for them to see it if its a steam one or hope for a lucky hit and have them panic into slowing down and frantically going in circles. That's a bit of exploiting bad game AI though, if you are going for reality.

In that situation, it isn't the troopships I'd be firing at either. While given an equal opportunity at a large freighter or a small tanker, I'd take the tanker for historical accuracy even though the game penalizes you for it, I wouldn't pass up a heavy warship for any civilian target.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    'round here, she's always on my mind.

The task force you are describing is an invasion force. Seeing as how you cannot change history in the game even for a few days, you might want to let this one go. The troopships are minor tonnage, and sinking them won't "delay" the invasion of wherever they are headed. That's the game for ya.

Personally, if I were a sub skipper in the war; I'd do a fast end around (risking the fuel loss), sink the cruisers and stalk the convoy during daylight, maybe tossing a few fish throughout the day to sink a transport (or flanking destroyer) if opporunity shone on me. After dark, I'd attack like a madman and try to obliterate the whole force.

In-game, I'd try an end around to sink the cruisers and leave the rest because sinking the whole task force won't change anything and the transport tonnage is **** compared to what you can gain with a bit of patience.

Thanks,End around it is then!
    The invasion force is traveling at about 12kts,i can manage about 19-20 in my salmon tub,so i might be just able to squeeze around the convoy in time before it gets to light!

If im caught out in the light,it might be the end of the attack and me!
    Its a shame that clearing the convoy does'nt have even a small impact on the invation timing,little details like this make a good game a great one.

P.s. I've always used an Porpoise class sub to date,but have changed to a Salmon class for this campaign.I don't seem to see any difference between the two apart from the two extra tubes on the rear of the Salmon...is this the only difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast