Attention: This is no longer the source for LOMAC help, support, etc. It hasn't been for YEARS.
Go here: http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=53
1. Your original LOMAC is completely worthless. This includes versions up to 1.02. If you expect anyone to spend a great deal of time helping you- upgrade to latest version. If you're thinking "I'll learn on this old one, then I'll upgrade".. Waste of time. Almost everything has changed.
Get yourself up to FLAMING CLIFFS 1.12 at WORST. LOMAC FC 2 is BY FAR the best way to go. LOCK ON PLATINUM is a good way to get there.
2. You WILL need a stick. No one takes a keyboard pilot seriously. 2 piece HOTAS are HIGHLY recommended.
3. Online play requires you to be in a server that uses the same version you have. Be advised that the online community is about realism. (as LOMAC gets, anyway) LOMAC is a mid-level simulation.. Fly offline however you want- but- if you use labels, externals, easy radar, and other built in "easy" features-- you have a WHOOPIN' coming your way in the servers. Do you really want to have to start all over again?
4. Get Teamspeak and Ventrilo installed- and use them while in the servers. No one is going to train you in the chat box.
5. Install "mods" at your own risk. There's a lot of mods made over a lot of versions- they don't all work, and some of them are illegal for online play.