Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Dev. Question] On screen points. Why? | Forums

Far Cry Classic Launch Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - The year is 2007, it is the future

Far Cry 3 - Deluxe Bundle Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Outpost App [UK]

Did any one else notice that Far Cry 3 has a multiplayer like points system?

This is what really frustrated me about what we saw of Far Cry 3. Not necessarily that such a point & rank system is a poor idea(that's another story), but that "points" pop-up in the middle of screen during gameplay.

I find it frustrating that devs feel the need to shoe horn in such features, as if in desperate attempt to appeal to a wider audience. I feel this really trivializes the game, and is really detrimental to the immersion that such a singleplayer experience should bring to the player.

It's also frustrating to me, as a consumer. I have no qualifications in game development or game design, and little things like this just seem so senseless. It makes me wonder how developers makes such fantastic engines, environments and gameplay, and then just ruin it by slapping on a some generic point and rank system that visually intrudes on the game itself.

I'd really like to hear a developer respond, as to whether this(the visual display of points) will stay in the game. And whether, at least there would be an option to turn it off.

I'd also be interested to hear what other players think; agree/disagree?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I totally agree. Those points appearing give me the impression of being from a cheap arcade shooter.It ruins part of the immersion for me. I mean I am supposed to be in a jungle shooting people and being shot at. I don't think I have ever seen a movie where people who have been shot have had a score pop up above them. "Oh look!! Head shot!!" *15 point balloon appears*. Also, that "A" button appearing is another peeve.I should know which button I need to press for a particular action. You want immersion? Then stop putting superfluous noise in the screen.
    Cheers,
    B

I have played all the Far Cry games on console from Xbox 1 to 360 (unfortunately I also tried the crappy one on Wii)

I can't speak for PC Far Cry as I have not seen it on that platform.

Now in multiplayer on the previous games it did have more of an arcade feel and play - you could not select a weapon class because everyone could use any weapon which were scattered around the levels (all players started with the same weapon) in the editor you place the weapons where you wanted them so if you wanted a map with no sniping it was easy you just didn't place any sniper weapons in the map.

You could also duel wield certain weapons and the pace was fast and pretty hectic.

It would shout headshot when you got one, Listening to the developer interview they said they had looked at previous Far Cry games - the points system does not bother me, the chances are it might only be in single player (who knows)

Red Dead Redemption is a huge hit and in multiplayer you can chain together kills which shows numbers increasing with kills in a set time (kill streak)

Who knows whats going on until we get the full info - I can understand that some like Far Cry 2 for its shot at trying to be realistic and you might not like numbers and stuff flashing on screen kind of cheap to some.

I also thought FC2 was cheap in the way that you had to press a button to climb a ladder or pick up the diamond, you could not jump off a ladder mid way and had to get to the top or bottom to get off, sorry but I prefer an arcade slant on the game.

We all have different opinions and I understand yours, hopefully you will get an option to turn it off so everyone is happy.
    http://forums.ubi.com/image.php?u=977913&type=sigpic&dateline=1408306127

Originally posted by LAMBCHOP1972:
    the points system does not bother me, the chances are it might only be in single player (who knows)

Red Dead Redemption is a huge hit and in multiplayer you can chain together kills which shows numbers increasing with kills in a set time (kill streak)
    That stuff is absolutely fine in multiplayer. But having numbers flash on screen in singleplayer... it just doesn't make sense to me, especially in game like Far Cry where the singleplayer is built for a deep narrative and immersive gameplay experience rather than a "high score" type game.

Hopefully theyat least include an option to turn it off.

Just adding the interview Dan Hay did: http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6317174/

Johnnien thats a decent fine as it is 11 mins long.

They state that there is a reason for the XP but can't go into it - something to do with building up different stealth kills possibly, It does look a bit cartoony after watching it a couple of times with 10s and 15s popping up all over - still it would not bother me.
    http://forums.ubi.com/image.php?u=977913&type=sigpic&dateline=1408306127

Originally posted by LAMBCHOP1972:
    Johnnien thats a decent fine as it is 11 mins long.

They state that there is a reason for the XP but can't go into it - something to do with building up different stealth kills possibly, It does look a bit cartoony after watching it a couple of times with 10s and 15s popping up all over - still it would not bother me.
    Yea, I don't mind the idea of earning "XP" to unlock new weapons, upgrade or abilities.

And it's not that I think the on screen points looks "cartoony", I just think it's distracting, and it kind of trivialises the context of the players actions.

New video still has these points and the screen and god damn they really do ruin the experience.

Please, at least put in an option to turn this off.

I like it, I like the FC2 freedom and idea but the realism stopped it from being the game it could have been. There was no advancment or challange where I think the point system awards you for more uniqe kills. There making a more RPG game which will go down well, trust me. Making it like Fc2 again will just became another repeatative game which i don't want to see. New game, new idea, new audience. They know what there doing.

Guys this is a singleplayer you don't know how points looks in multiplayer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast