Possibly the most asked question of all time, other than when is patch x.xx coming out?
1) Open the folder where IL2 46 is installed, its usually 'c:\program files\ubisoft\IL2 Sturmovik 1946' if you used the default install option.
Another way of finding this is to right click in the IL2 46 desktop icon to bring up a drop down menu, click on 'Properties' to open up the shortcuts properties menu, go to the 'Shortcut' tab and click on 'Find Target'.
2) Look for a file called 'Conf.ini', open it up in Notepad or a text editor.
3) Look for the following lines of text, they should be near the top:
4) Edit the lines 'Width' and 'Height'. These lines correspond to the resolution IL2 will display in. Enter in your screens native resolution or the resolution you want to play IL2 in.
The example above is for a 24" 16:10 screen. A 19" 5:4 screen is 1280x1024 which is standard resolution for that sort of size TFT/LCD. A 16:10 19" widescreen is 1280x800 etc. More info on screen sizes can be found here.
5) Look for 'EnableResize=' and set it to 0.
6) Look for 'SaveAspect=' and set it to 0.
7)Save the file, close it and run IL2.
For a full description of the different display options in IL2 please look here and for some helpful setup guides look here
Please note that changing any options within the 'Setup.exe' or changing the in game video settings will overwrite the conf.ini and the resolution changes you've previously made with a resolution IL2 supports.
Just follow the steps again once you've made your desired changes within Il2 or the 'setup.exe' to get the resolution you want.
Alternativly use IL2 Stab. This programme allows changes to be made without the need to go into IL2 setup or the conf.ini for most user settings.