Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to spend for a new PC to handle CoD | Forums

Hi,

I have a rather old PC which can barley handle IL1946 to its full extend and would like to buy a new one for CoD.

Can someone tell me what the minimum requirements would be and how much that would cost - would be the whole system incl. a new screen.

Thanks

Michael
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

From the Official 1C forums:
    PC CONFIGURATION

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3

PROCESSOR: Pentium® Dual-Core 2.0GHz or Athlon™ X2 3800+
    (Intel Core i5 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 2.6GHz recommended)

RAM: 2GB (4GB recommended)

VIDEO CARD: DirectX® 9.0c compliant, 512Mb Video Card (1GB DirectX® 10 recommended) - See supported List*

DIRECT X®: DirectX® 9.0c or DirectX® 10 (included on disc)

DVD-ROM DRIVE: 8X

SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compatible

HARD DISK SPACE: 10GB

PERIPHERALS: Mouse, keyboard (joystick with throttle and rudder control recommended)

MULTIPLAY: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster

*SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT TIME OF RELEASE:

ATI® 4850/4870/5830/5850/5770/5870/6870/6950/6970

NVidia®: 8800/9800/250/260/275/285/460/465/470/480
    So those are the system specs. With a game like this the faster the better. As for how much to spend... that very much determines what country you're from. Since we don't know it's very hard to say. I usually spend up to $1500 Canadian to upgrade my system every 5 years or so. In the states it's probably cheaper and in the UK and Europe it will vary.

Find my missions at Flying Legends and Mission4Today.com.

Hi IceFire,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am from Switzerland - so probably not a country where you can get it for the best price - just would like to have an indication what would be the investment for PC that can handle CoD well - will be more or less the only game that I plan to play.

So hope you or someone else can give me an idea what would be the best components to have and roughly the price.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Michael

In the US, I would imagine you could get a computer with the minimum specs for around $500 or less--a 2.0Ghz core2duo, 2GB of RAM and an 8800 gpu. Might be able to get a used computer cheaper too.

For around $900 to 1000 I know you can get a computer that would do a lot better--more like an i7, 4 to 6GB of RAM, and a GTX 460 card. I would spend the extra dough for something like that to run it better, it's probably going to look like crap on the minimum specs, and if later versions and add-ons to COD come out they will probably be a bit more demanding of your system, kind of like comparing Il-2 1946 with the early versions of Il-2.

Of course it would really be best to just wait out the remaining weeks and see what people recommend for COD after it comes out and they've played around with it for a while. That would be the best way to spend your money wisely.
    -----------------

"i got banned from the falt earth society for saying nonsenses"
    --raaaid

Also I think tonight I'll mess around with the custom configurator on Ibuypower and provide some prices for some basic computers people could play COD on.
    -----------------

"i got banned from the falt earth society for saying nonsenses"
    --raaaid

Wait until the game is out. You'll save money.

Don't waste your money on dual cores. Quads are way better for a game like this. You are better off with an older quad than a newer dual. Flight sims are very processor intensive and the more cores ther better.
    I'd say don't buy it now.Read a lot about hardware trends for the next few weeks. You'll know a lot more about what's out there and we'll know a lot more what to expect from the game as well.

You could use your old case, DVD drive, Harddrive, and maybe even your power supply if its 500 watts or more.

Then buy a I7 motherboard...250 dollars
    Intel I7 950 cpu... 300 dollars
    6 gigs of memory ...100 dollars
    high end gpu.......300 dollars
    monitor.........300 dollars

You could have a very good computer for 1250 dollars including monitor. Much cheaper than buying a system. Its quite easy to screw the new motherboard to your case and plug in the cpu, memory, and gpu. Just do alittle research on-line.
    Intel I7 950 @ 3.8gigs
    6 Gigs Corsair 1600 memory
    Nvidia 580 Direct 11
    LG 37" LCD 1920x1080
    Corsair 60gig SSD
    MSFF2 , Cougar Throttle, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals
    Windows 7 64
    500gig HHD
    80 gig SSD with only COD, Hota Peripherials, and co

Dont completely rule out AMD chips. While they might not preform every task as fast as the Intel chips, for gaming (and nearly anything else I've tried) AMD does very, very well. At a much lower cost. What I saved on a six core Phenom II X6 chip, I was able to plow into a better graphics card.

Banned
    Originally posted by Rjel:
    Dont completely rule out AMD chips. While they might not preform every task as fast as the Intel chips, for gaming (and nearly anything else I've tried) AMD does very, very well. At a much lower cost. What I saved on a six core Phenom II X6 chip, I was able to plow into a better graphics card.
    +1

Looking at deals on a PhenomII X4 920 and there are some now, should be more/better next month or so. 920 is one of the recommended spec CPU's at base clock speed. With a good mobo (leaning towards MSI) they can overclock from 2.66 to 3.3 safely enough, that is just over 25%. It's nothing as good as the best and nothing as expensive. I don't need a race car to get around and in another year the big-ticket hardware will be on discount or life will have changed so much I may not be playing games anyway.

I think I will plunk savings into RAM and then video.

The battle between Intel and AMD has resulted in great processors from both manufactures. The price/performance lead has see-sawed back and forth between the two for years now. I'm an Intel fanboi myself, but you can't go wrong with either. Just do your homework first.

Many of us here, myself included, insist on suggesting the benefits of building your own rig. The benefits cannot be overstressed. You end up with twice the system for half the expenditure than you would if you purchased a pre-built system, and as a bonus you'll learn a whole lot about the interplay between all the stuff inside PC's and how they operate.

Doing the research beforehand can be very time consuming, but very well worth it.
    ------------------------------

AndyJWest - "Raaaid managed to get CloD to run on an NVidia 8500 GT - but then, he's Raaaid, and he is, shall we say, 'unorthodox'."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast