Thread: My experiance of SH4 from a fan of SH3 | Forums

Hi everyone,

Just thought id post to say hi mainly. I'm a massive fan of SH3, and have just bought SH4 and wanted to leave my feedback on how i think it's going so far, one day into play.

Without the patch i found no crash to desktop which people have witnessed and complained a lot about, but i did notice three things above all else which ticked me off a little: Firstly you can dive whilst out on deck until you are well and truly submerged, and only then does the computer force you inside, secondly the radar didnt work, and thirdly the chronometer didnt work for measuring speed (although i always have 80 - 100 % realism anyway and calculate my own torpedo solutions so that wasn't really a problem). But for a £20 game (currently) i expected at least the radar to work, and as a simulator (and a well renowned one) i expect not to be able to dive and become submerged out on deck.

Anyway, ive not tried it with the patch, but im assuming these things are fixed by now.

I've noticed a lot of people have been struggling to calculate the target ships tangential velocity (mainly because the chronometer didnt do it for them) at one point, so ive submitted another thread on how I do it, its quite easy really (i think ive seen another thread with a similar method too).

Cheers

Jay
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi everyone,

Just thought id post to say hi mainly. I'm a massive fan of SH3, and have just bought SH4 and wanted to leave my feedback on how i think it's going so far, one day into play.

Without the patch i found no crash to desktop which people have witnessed and complained a lot about, but i did notice three things above all else which ticked me off a little: Firstly you can dive whilst out on deck until you are well and truly submerged, and only then does the computer force you inside, secondly the radar didnt work, and thirdly the chronometer didnt work for measuring speed (although i always have 80 - 100 % realism anyway and calculate my own torpedo solutions so that wasn't really a problem). But for a £20 game (currently) i expected at least the radar to work, and as a simulator (and a well renowned one) i expect not to be able to dive and become submerged out on deck.

Anyway, ive not tried it with the patch, but im assuming these things are fixed by now.

I've noticed a lot of people have been struggling to calculate the target ships tangential velocity (mainly because the chronometer didnt do it for them) at one point, so ive submitted another thread on how I do it, its quite easy really (i think ive seen another thread with a similar method too).

Cheers

Jay

Hello Jay,
    Patching to 1.4 is a good idea.
    You say the radar doesn't work. If you are at the beginning of the war the radar isn't suppose to work. It had yet to be made available for that time of year. It will work once you have been given the opportunity to purchase it or you get it in an upgraded sub in later years.
    Sorry to hear your feet get wet when submerging. Not sure how to fix that or the chronometer but maybe someone else on the forum will help you out.

"When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the *** with a banjo" by Chief Officer Steward Dogan - USS Gurnard.
    -------------
    SHIV Guide - TMOwTw 2.5 - Shipping Route Maps US & Jap - TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5 - SH4 Manual

Hi Yooperbacker, thanks for the feedback on 1.4:

I figured the radar probably wouldnt work if i've not installed it yet in career mode, but actually i was referring to the sub school mode which states in the intro text that you're supposed to use the radar to identify the location of the convoy. It seems that until V1.1 onwards, the radar doest actually work at all can you believe! They shipped the game with no working radar with a tutorial which requires it to be used!

I actually found it quite funny, but that was only really because i figured V1.4 would likely solve it(which naturally it does).

And as for getting my feet wet! haha, no its more like holding onto the conning tower and holding my breath for 20 seconds, i thought my guy should have drowned by the time he was forced back inside the sub it was that long underwater!

Jay

First of all: Welcome to the forum and welcome to SH4.

I think there are many of "us" who are old fans of SH3 (and still are).

I must however admit that your first post gave me that painful feeling of remembrance when we all were forced to play version 1.0 and 1.1. I think we've all heard the about the "chrono-bug", the "radar-bug" and the "submerged crew"-bug one too many times. I'm surprised you didn't mention the "A key crashes my game"-bug...

Anyway, my recommendation is to patch the game to ver 1.4. Then you should play it for a while and see what you think. If you don't like the bright colors of the ocean I would recommend the "Pacific Environments"-mod... It's very nice and makes the game much easier on the eye. If you feel ready for more of a challenge, I would truly recommend downloading and installing the Trigger Maru Overhauled-mod. It gives the game even more immersion and almost the same changes in graphics as Pacific Environments does.

If you want to drive german subs, the "Uboat missions" expansion is available and quite recommendable. The only complaint I have is the fact that you can drive the type XVIII Walther sub... Which was in fact never completed, let alone put to sea... But driving the type IXD2 out of Surabaya for a good old Tommy-hunt is great fun

5 minutes to Midnight