Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: From ConViction Team | Forums

Spider-Bot | Splinter Cell Blacklist | Companion App

Fourth Echelon Economy 101 | Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

Out of the Shadows - Splinter Cell Blacklist Dev Panel

J. Cole Trailer - Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

Hi Everyone,

Thomas here, from the ConViction Team in Montreal.

We just wanted to give you a little heads up.

When we started thinking about ConViction two years ago (just when we finished SCCT) it was obvious for us that we needed new challenges, and that we needed to shy away from the light and shadow gameplay.
    Obviously our main concern was YOU, as we knew that for the hardcore Fan, SC was defined by a gameplay, not a universe, not a character or else. Touching the gameplay was touching your very own perception of SC.

This we acknowledged, but decided to move forward... because we believe that we have something exciting to propose you, a new gameplay, that we hope will excite you as much as the Light and Shadow that we created 7 years ago.
    I believe that it is all about perception. To us, Splinter Cell was about Stealth, Light and Shadow is only a mechanic to create stealth gameplay. We are working hard to keep on going with Stealth, however, we decided to expand the mechanics and to provide you more options to be stealthy. Splinter Cell was also about innovation, and we want to stay true to SC... ConViction is gameplay innovation.

All I can say is that we are the original Splinter Team, we are working towards the same standards of gameplay originality and polish, and we hope that as we will provide more info, that you will understand better our objectives and realize that we are not trying to create a subpar splinter cell, but an exciting stealth game, with Sam Fisher, in the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell universe.
    We didn't want to redo what we already did, we wanted to explore and take you with us in a new form of gameplay, a new way to play stealth. Change can be daunting to some, but we needed to move forward for our own sake, and hopefully have you onboard.
    We needed to experience new things, we wanted to challenge ourselves and by doing so, are challenging you. We are not light and shadow, but we are Splinter Cell as much as we were 7 years ago, and I am convinced that once you'll have your hand on ConViction you will have the same pleasure of discovering a truly unique experience.

So for those who are supporting us in this delicate shift of direction, thanks for your trust in us, this is what makes us work even harder, and for those disappointed, we hope we will find a way to reach you and that you will let us prove to you that you can have an exciting Splinter Cell experience without Light and Shadow.

Cheers !

PS: as I am writing this post, a screen two rows in front of me is displaying only the Ambiant Occlusion effects (nothing else) of a map... who said we didn't have shadow

Thomas
    Orph3O

Ordo Ab Chaos
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Strange...out of nowhere these Ubi devs come out to say something on the forums. Well, it should have been expected, they came out of the shadows.

I hope you're new challenges will excite and make us want you to improve on it possibly in Splinter Cell(6): DOuble Convicted.

Well, if this guy really is who he says he is I must applaud the fact that someone from the team actually posts on the forum.

That being said, this post didn't do much to make me feel more enthusiastic about the game:

"When we started thinking about ConViction two years ago (just when we finished SCCT) it was obvious for us that we needed new challenges, and that we needed to shy away from the light and shadow gameplay.
    Obviously our main concern was YOU, as we knew that for the hardcore Fan, SC was defined by a gameplay, not a universe, not a character or else. Touching the gameplay was touching your very own perception of SC.

This we acknowledged, but decided to move forward..."

Gameplay is for me what defines SC, not Sam Fisher, not the story nor anything else and I can't really see why it was so obvious for the dev team to shy away from light and shadows.

But as I've stated before, I will buy and play this game, hopefully these talented people will at least make a game that is enjoyable to play, although it being far removed from the original SC-experience.

Are you sure you work for UBI? Check his posts. There's no mention of it in his other 2 posts. Skepticism ftw.

Either way, still not buying the game.

Yeah, I noticed the thing with the other posts too. Nothing about this guy suggests he's with Ubi. Might very well be someone just out to provoke some reactions for his own amusement.

Precisely. KIK BAN!

Originally posted by Orph3O:
    Hi Everyone,

Thomas here, from the ConViction Team in Montreal.

We just wanted to give you a little heads up.

When we started thinking about ConViction two years ago (just when we finished SCCT) it was obvious for us that we needed new challenges, and that we needed to shy away from the light and shadow gameplay.

This we acknowledged, but decided to move forward... because we believe that we have something exciting to propose you, a new gameplay, that we hope will excite you as much as the Light and Shadow that we created 7 years ago.
    I believe that it is all about perception. To us, Splinter Cell was about Stealth, Light and Shadow is only a mechanic to create stealth gameplay. We are working hard to keep on going with Stealth, however, we decided to expand the mechanics and to provide you more options to be stealthy. Splinter Cell was also about innovation, and we want to stay true to SC... ConViction is gameplay innovation.

All I can say is that we are the original Splinter Team, we are working towards the same standards of gameplay originality and polish, and we hope that as we will provide more info, that you will understand better our objectives and realize that we are not trying to create a subpar splinter cell, but an exciting stealth game, with Sam Fisher, in the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell universe.
    We didn't want to redo what we already did, we wanted to explore and take you with us in a new form of gameplay, a new way to play stealth. Change can be daunting to some, but we needed to move forward for our own sake, and hopefully have you onboard.
    We needed to experience new things, we wanted to challenge ourselves and by doing so, are challenging you. We are not light and shadow, but we are Splinter Cell as much as we were 7 years ago, and I am convinced that once you'll have your hand on ConViction you will have the same pleasure of discovering a truly unique experience.

So for those who are supporting us in this delicate shift of direction, thanks for your trust in us, this is what makes us work even harder, and for those disappointed, we hope we will find a way to reach you and that you will let us prove to you that you can have an exciting Splinter Cell experience without Light and Shadow.

Cheers !

PS: as I am writing this post, a screen two rows in front of me is displaying only the Ambiant Occlusion effects (nothing else) of a map... who said we didn't have shadow

Thomas
    Orph3O

Ordo Ab Chaos
    Well, given the arrogance of the post, I would think it strongly suggests that he/she does work for Ubisoft.

Ubisoft, by ignoring its fanbase and core gameplay, is essentially saying "we are doing this for us" and not the fan. While they would love to have us "on board", it is not essential... (you have to love how they expect to make money while pissing off and/or ignoring their fan base).

If these developers were so "bored" with the core game play, have them work on "Prince of Persia" or to create a new title (I have an idea, how about a "Jason Bourne" title - since that is what the developers evidently want to do) and let others work on the game.

There is much that can be done to make a "different game" while still keeping the game play intact. If these guys could not figure it out, then perhaps they are not as creative as we have all given them credit for.

Deciding to leave the light and shadow gameplay behind does suggest to me the team had grown bored with the formula, and probably felt it was too restricting - they wanted to explore more, different gameplay/stealth scenarios.

I can appreciate that. I'd be happier to hear them offer at least the possibility of returning to the classic gameplay fans really enjoyed.

Conviction to me looks like an interesting diversion for the series, but the degree of its success will probably determine the direction the series takes in the future, and I'm sure there is a bigger market for the faster paced action games (as Conviction appears to be) than the classic SC gameplay style, so I doubt we'll ever see a return to those days, and that, to me, is disappointing.

Conviction will probably be a lot of fun, as I can't imagine Montreal not delivering in that respect, but man am I going to miss the intense, immersive experience SC offered through hiding and striking from the shadows!

Originally posted by Povidone_Stomp:
    Deciding to leave the light and shadow gameplay behind does suggest to me the team had grown bored with the formula, and probably felt it was too restricting - they wanted to explore more, different gameplay/stealth scenarios.

I can appreciate that. I'd be happier to hear them offer at least the possibility of returning to the classic gameplay fans really enjoyed.

Conviction to me looks like an interesting diversion for the series, but the degree of its success will probably determine the direction the series takes in the future, and I'm sure there is a bigger market for the faster paced action games (as Conviction appears to be) than the classic SC gameplay style, so I doubt we'll ever see a return to those days, and that, to me, is disappointing.

Conviction will probably be a lot of fun, as I can't imagine Montreal not delivering in that respect, but man am I going to miss the intense, immersive experience SC offered through hiding and striking from the shadows!
    If they wanted to make a different type of game, then get new developers... clearly they have a large fan base that will pay for a continuation of the series in the traditional format of gameplay.

Splinter Cell is now an action game, not a stealth game. OK, I guess you can argue that there is stealth in not being noticed within a crowd, but it certainly is not what got everyone here excited.

There may be a greater potential fanbase for action games than stealth, but do not forget that there are a ton of action titles (many with much better concepts and established fan bases) and Ubisoft has elected to disregard its own fan base in an attempt to get a small share of the action market (as a fan, I will certainly not forget that....)

Thanks for the updates Orph3O!!!
    Never play alone again. Join the Blackwidow Company today.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast