Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [UPDATED] Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising | Forums

Alright, just got the game, and finished the first mission, which took me AN HOUR AND A HALF. But you know what? It was a good hour and a half.

These are my only suggestions/complaints:

1. No time modifier: In the original OFP, you had the ability to increase time speed. This isn't cheating, because the enemies move faster too, so if you run into enemies at 4x time speed you basically die before you can react, so you still have to be smart about it. The reason it's good is for covering a lot of ground that you know is clear of enemies, so you don't spend 10 minutes holding down the w button to get from point A to point B.

2. Radial menu should go away when command is issued!! I don't like that you have to press the command button again to get the menu to go away, once an order is issued, it should go away on its own so you can start moving right away instead of having to hit the button again and THEN you can start moving. Makes issuing commands while under fire very hazardous...

3. Reload animation shouldn't include the cocking animation. Right now everytime you reload regardless of what condition the weapon is at the time, you go through the whole animation including cocking the weapon as if you're loading it for the first time. If you reload before you're empty, it should only be drop the magazine and insert new magazine, and it should be done, there should be 31 rounds. If you reload while empty, it should be drop the old mag, insert new mag, then hit the bolt stop since the bolt should hold open on last shot.

4. The prone and crouch buttons should have a toggle effect, meaning you can just press crouch again to stand back up and same with prone. It's kind of annoying to have to press one button to crouch or go prone, then have to hit another button to get out of it... Or at least give the option to have it toggle or not.

5. Get rid of the delay between finishing reloading and being able to look through the weapon's optics. After reloading, you have to wait like a second before you can click the right mouse to look through the sights again. Kind of annoying.

6. Bodies shouldn't disappear! I think there should be an option to not have the bodies disappear. They are a good source of ammo and weapons if you use up your own. But make it an option in case some people don't have enough memory and would like for them to disappear, but my system is ok, so I would have them not disappear.

7. Should have less muzzle flash. Real military weapons tend to come equipped with flash hiders or compensator/flash hider combos, both tend to do away with most of the visible muzzle flash, should be more just small amounts of smoke coming out of the muzzle and no real flash.

I think if they address those 7 things, and of course improve the AI which is kind of dodgy at times, this could be close to being the perfect game...

But despite these 7 things, the game is very fun. One weird thing to note, the intro movies and company logos load very laggy and choppy and the sound will repeat. Yet the game itself runs perfect on my computer, so it's weird that my computer can't handle some intro movies but can play the game with all graphic settings on high just fine. Not too shabby for a 3 year-old PC huh? The only thing that isn't 3 years-old is my graphics card, ATI 4890 1GB FTW!

**UPDATE: Alright, I've beaten the game, well, I beat it a few days ago. While it might seem it lasted me a good week and a half to beat it, that's only because of how busy I am, I actually only sat down with it maybe 4 or 5 times to beat it, I think it took me about 8 hours of gameplay to beat the game... which is not very long at all...

Anyway, here is an update on my impressions of the game.

1. NO FREE LOOK WHILE DRIVING!! While you're driving any vehicle, you're stuck looking straight forward, even in an open top jeep... WTF? So you can't look to your right or left so sometimes I'm driving into fences, trees, or I have to keep steering left or right to see where I am in relation to the next waypoint...

2. Not as "open-ended" as the original: Ok, while yes you still have the physical ability to roam the island and complete missions any way you want, they way they designed it, there are too many time constrictions and sometimes you really do have to follow their waypoints and complete the missions the way the game intended for you to. Too many scripted things pop up during the mission. In the original, they tell you, do this, then they leave you alone and you literally can take all day to figure out how to complete the mission. It was really fun and required some thinking. This one, they keep telling you what to do, directing you to certain places, and things like that. I don't think I had any opportunity to stray significantly away from their intended method of completing a mission. Very disappointing, I have little motivation to play the missions over. While with the original it was so open-ended I played the entire game over 4 times so I can try new ways to complete each mission, lol.

3. WHERE IS THE VARIETY??? In the original OFP, I started out as a character that was just a member of a squad, so I actually had to follow a squad leader around. Then I got to play a squad leader myself. Then I got to play another character that was a tank commander, so I got to direct a whole group of tanks around. Another character I got to play was a Cobra attack gunship pilot, so I was able to fly around and blow crap up, and again later as an A-10 Warthog pilot. Then I got to play a spec-ops with C4 to blow more stuff up in the cover of darkness. Then you even get to play a very unique mission where you're an unarmed POW in an enemy camp and you have to plot your escape! So basically, within the story of the original OFP, I got to be a regular infantry guy, a squad leader, use strategy and patience as an unarmed POW, drive the M1 Abrams tank around, drove an enemy T-80 tank as a spec ops because I was able to sneak into an enemy compound full of empty tanks and stole one, fly a Cobra attack helicopter, fly an A-10 warthog, and drove countless of other vehicles as part of the mission. Man that was good times! So much variety!!

In this game, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, you start off as a fireteam leader... then you are a fireteam leader... then you're a spec ops fireteam leader... and in the end, you're a... fireteam leader... Um... WTF??? I was on foot the entire game. The ONLY vehicle I got the opportunity to drive was a freakin Hummer, and even then it was just to get from point A to point B... Everytime I saw a tank, it had people in it, so couldn't board it. Never had the chance to fly anything... Basically, the entire game you're on foot, and you never command more than 3 other people... yipee...

In the beginning I didn't see this as an issue because I thought that those parts were coming later in the game, but they never did... The ability to drive any vehicle is still there, but the story never gave you the opportunity to... The original made sure to give you the chance to do everything, most of the time at least twice. The only exception was the A-10, where the mission ends with you being shot down and you becoming a POW.

4. Hard to play multiplayer, don't think there are any dedicated servers or anything...

5. I used the mission editor to be able to use a tank, so I just placed a bunch of tanks down and put myself there. The tanks seem cool, but you can't run over trees or anything... in the original, you can run over most trees except for those in the forests, but the ones standing alone out in open fields, you knock them over when you hit them, then you can drive over them. So you can feel the weight of the weapon. In this game, I tried to run over a small little tree that I can chop down with a hatchet, and my 70 TON tank BOUNCED off the tree and the tree was completely unscathed... WTF???

You know, if they had simply took the original game, and remade it with today's graphics and tech, it would have been an almost perfect game... So disappointing...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I thought it was decent. Custome loadouts,improved AI,more weapon variety and the bugs are all things I wouldnt mind seeing patched.As of now I dont feel this game is worth more then a rent.If they support it with patches and DLC then I'll consider buying depending on how those updates go. Then again MW2 is coming out next month.They should of pushed to get the release delayed so they could put more work in. Its kind of a horrible decision to release a shooter a month before MW2 regardless of how different it is imo.Not only is MW2 probably the most anticipated FPS of all time but OFP released when everyone is preordering it.All you have to do is check out the servers lol.Im on PS3 but you would think there would be more then one short page of servers.I understand theres probably more on PC.Theres roughly 25 servers at any given time in the evenings,all modes included.You are definitely right about it being fun.Its a nice break from the unrealistic run n gun games.

I'm still playing the single player, haven't gone to multiplayer yet...

I am still interested in Dragon Rising but the delay of a demo stopped me from buying it.

Our group is interested in co-op game play.
    Has anyone tested this mode online yet??

With no SADS, I would worry that this game will be as laggy as Vegas 2??

My second concern is support from Codemasters.
    If they abandon this game like Ubisoft abandons their games shortly after release .. it will be a bargain bin game very quickly!!

Hopefully they are not as bad as Ubisoft. They published the original OFP and that was really good, but they didn't develop it.

I've found another annoyance, no free look while driving, wtf? So you're stuck looking straight forward, even if you're driving an open top jeep, lol. That's pretty dumb...

Yeah I didnt like that either.

I have 2 friends who bought Dragon Rising and neither one is happy with the game so far.

I hope Codemasters sticks around long enough to fix the issues.

I have been reading the forums and there are some high level people from Codemasters actually posting and keeping gamers up to date.
    They are working on a patch, but a SADS is not their top priority right now.
    If Codemasters fails to release a patch that actually fixes the major issues, and they don't release at least a SADS, this game will be keeping company with the likes of Vegas 2 and other Ubisoft titles in the bargain bin in a short time.

Sadly, everyone is saying Dragon Rising could be one of the best games in a long time if Codemasters doesn't drop the ball on this one.

Sound familiar??

Definitely, the game has a lot of potential.

I noticed most of what people have been complaining about, but I still find it more fun than most of the shooters out there.

Oh, another weird annoyance. I made a custom mission just so I can drive around in a M1A2 Abrams tank and noticed something weird... you can't run over trees like you were able to in the first one. Strangely, if you drove into a tree, you kind of "bounce" off of it... I mean, you don't even knock the tree at all, it's like they are invincible. And I'm not talking about some big massive oak, but smaller trees that a normal car can probably knock over, but a 60-ton tank can't... WTF??

My biggest issue is the AI, they are horrible.Your AI team is useless for the most part.The most frustrating parts are in hardcore because you spend an hour or more trying not to die only to get to the end of a mission and have the AI not obey orders and ruin all that time.Specificaly the missions where you have to save the pilots and the pows.The pilots and pows never follow orders if they are engaged and will run right at the enemy and die or just stand where they were engaged until they are dead.Im curious why they would make such an elaborate command system with such bad AI.Even more annoying is the amount of bullets enemies can take.A lot of the time you spend 10 seconds or more shooting an AI before they die.I dont think most people would take two shots center mass,fall to the ground and get back up then sprint a hundred yards to hide behind a tree lol.

Yah, it's funny that the enemy doesn't even seem to be affected by the shots until the one that kills them. You would think that shooting someone would at least knock them down or at least get them to stop walking around or shooting accurately at you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast