Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jane's Defense Weekly Article | Forums

Originally posted by SUBS17:
    Nice movies, whens this game getting released lol
    It's already out, and it only costs $40,000 a copy.

Viper_998th_IP
    Much- if not all- of the article can be found here:
    http://www.thebattlesim.com/desc/FACSE-JANES.pdf
    Dave "Hawg11" St. Jean
    Proud supporter of:
    www.lockonfiles.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Originally posted by Viper_998th_IP:
    From what the article in JDW said, they were taking in the F-16C Block 50, Ka-50 (duh!), AH-64A, and the E-3 AWACS. I'm not exactly sure what the AWACS will add to it, but one could guess it may be a battle control system similar to the one found in EF-2000.
    They might be referring to an RC-135 when mentioning an E-3. Its the same B707 airframe, but Rivet Joint does more land battle type stuff. Of course, I guess they could be using TADL capabilities from the E-3. Hmmm...this will be interesting to watch as it unfolds.
    "To be afraid of living is to be afraid of dying. How can you get past this, and cherish the fear of flying?"-Juliana Hatfield

CHINPOKOMON!!!!

Originally posted by IguanaKing:
    They might be referring to an RC-135 when mentioning an E-3. Its the same B707 airframe, but Rivet Joint does more land battle type stuff. Of course, I guess they could be using TADL capabilities from the E-3. Hmmm...this will be interesting to watch as it unfolds.
    That would really be neat but if ED decides to place that in it may be interrupting with the time frame of "mid to late-80's" that they are going for. If I'm not mistaken wasn't the J-STARS tested during Desert Storm. Don't jump on me if I'm wrong here, guys. Just going on what I thought I rememered hearing. But yeah, THAT would be cool and it would make more sense considering theyre going for a FAC-friendly trainer.

As well, thanks Hawg11. I wasn't sure whether or not it could be found anyplace on the web.
    Viper_998th_IP

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
    [B]-Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of

Yes, JSTARS was combat-tested in Desert Storm. Rivet Joint adds even more new toys to the equation. The capabilities of both, of course, are classified, so I seriously doubt that a Russian software company would be given any details aside from what is open source. Of course, FAC procedures, equipment, etc. are also largely classified, so this trainer will probably be not much more than a basic skills reinforcement tool.
    "To be afraid of living is to be afraid of dying. How can you get past this, and cherish the fear of flying?"-Juliana Hatfield

CHINPOKOMON!!!!

Banned
    I would be worried if any government agency started pouring money into ED software. It would probabbly result in the loss of the civilian type of flying sim games we enjoy now and ED would just work on govt special projects that were more economically beneficial to its company. It would be a real loss to us gamers. I doubt that the US would ever pour money to a former enemy of the cold war. But you never know.

I always did worry after lock on was first announced back in 2001 that it would be so good that the US govt would not allow the US civilians to possess the software. I thought it might be a knock off of a us govt F-15 simulator program that was declassified. But after the game came out I realized it was just a game no worries about anyone having access to formerly classified material. Bummer aye. I thought there might be a chance that one could learn how to fly a real F-15 from this game! That would have been so cool.

I'm sure someone some day will offer a true govt flight sim to the general public and it will sell big. But since 9/11 you can see how dangerous these sims are in the hands of evil people.

On the contrary, Shark. We actually invested quite a bit in the former Soviet Union's nuclear weapons launch & control system. We gave them the technology to minic ours to prevent a rogue launch by a paranoid or drunk officer. Course that's totally different but I thought I might throw that out there.

Well I could see the DoD giving money to ED to develop this stuff. They wouldn't be looking for a hardcore sim to cover all the minor things if they're worried about just training Forward Air Controllers. As such, it would only make sense for them to improve their profit lines by releasing the add-on publicly - of course thats *if* they don't sign non-disclosure agreements.
    Viper_998th_IP

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
    [B]-Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of

Banned
    Here is the king of miliary flight sim companies.

http://www.accinc.us/index.html

http://www.viper-pits.com/

No its not, there are way better sims than that.

Nice info Hawg-thanks for posting

Those prices at viperpits.com are absolutely outrageous. Actual PMAd analog gauges of the types they show don't even cost as much as what they are selling them for.

CHINPOKOMON!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast