Thread: problems with editing tab | Forums

Hi,
    For the last few weeks, I am having problems with the edit tab. If I make a post and would like to correct a typo or add something new, it goes well, the first time. I can see the new edited post. But if I go for a second time to edit this new post and if I click on the edit tab, I am not able to see this new change in the reply window even if the second edited post can be seen in the normal thread. I have no idea what to make out of this problem. If it is at my end or along the line, is still a big mystery. Can you offer some insight to solve it ?
    Thank you.

P.S. I usually have to wait a few hours and make a loggin again to see the new edited reply . I am presently making a test with another post to see how long it will take and to see if a new loggin is needed.

Yes the new loggin did work(+- 1 hour later) but I had to close internet explorer and re-log anew.

P.S. BulaRae said something about internet explorer "cache" but I have no idea if I can do something about it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi,
    For the last few weeks, I am having problems with the edit tab. If I make a post and would like to correct a typo or add something new, it goes well, the first time. I can see the new edited post. But if I go for a second time to edit this new post and if I click on the edit tab, I am not able to see this new change in the reply window even if the second edited post can be seen in the normal thread. I have no idea what to make out of this problem. If it is at my end or along the line, is still a big mystery. Can you offer some insight to solve it ?
    Thank you.

P.S. I usually have to wait a few hours and make a loggin again to see the new edited reply . I am presently making a test with another post to see how long it will take and to see if a new loggin is needed.

Yes the new loggin did work(+- 1 hour later) but I had to close internet explorer and re-log anew.

P.S. BulaRae said something about internet explorer "cache" but I have no idea if I can do something about it.

Suggestions, to do in the order shown. Try a Forum edit after completing each suggestion.

1. Use your anti-virus software to do a complete, in-depth scan of your hard disk(s). This is the 'start it and let it crank' type of scan, not the bootup quickie! Then do complete, in-depth spyware and adware scans of your hard disk(s).

2. Clear your Internet Explorer caches.
    -- a. Close all open applications.
    -- b. Open a single Internet Explorer session.
    -- c. Click on Tools > Internet Options.
    -- d. Click on Delete Cookies > OK.
    -- e. Click on Delete Files (check the 'Delete all offline content' box) > OK.
    -- f. Click on Clear History > Yes.
    -- g. Click on OK to exit.

3. Use Windows Explorer to search all hard disks and partitions for \temp, \tmp, and \temporary folders, and delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use. If Windows complains when you try to delete a file, leave that file alone!
    -- a. Click on Tools > Find > Files or Folders.
    -- b. Type temp or tmp or temporary in the Named: box.
    -- c. Click on the arrow at the right end of the Look in: box and then click on the disk drive to be searched.
    -- d. Click on Find Now to start the search.
    -- e. Click on the temp (or tmp or temporary) folders found to open them.
    -- f. Delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use. If Windows complains when you try to delete a file, leave that file alone!
    -- g. Close Windows Explorer back to the Desktop.

4. Use Windows Task Manager to close unnecessary applications and processes running in the background, except for Explorer.exe, Ctfmon.exe, your software firewall, and whatever your hardware needs:
    -- a. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del once, and then click on Task Manager.
    -- b. Click on the Applications tab.
    -- c. Click on the desired application to highlight it.
    -- d. Click on End Task.
    -- e. Repeat this procedure until all unnecessary background applications are closed, including your anti-virus program but NOT your software firewall.
    -- f. Click on the Processes tab.
    -- g. Click on the desired process to highlight it.
    -- h. Click on End Process.
    -- i. Repeat this procedure until all unnecessary background processes are closed. If you aren't sure which processes can be safely closed, check out the AnswersThatWork Task List Programs index. The most common tasks are described, and which ones are essential and which can be safely closed are noted.
    -- j. WITHOUT rebooting, try an edit.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Hi Heimdall,
    I am very happy to tell you that my problem is solved.
    When I got to step #2 re > tools > internet options, I had a hunch.
    First I must say that my account is not the main one on this PC even though I have full administrative priviledge because the owner is away. Because we use the french version of Windows XP, my words will be "free translations"

Anyway, I went to the administrator's account and tried a post plus 2 re-edit and found it was working ok when using his account. From there I made a print of his internet options and went back to my account to compare with my options and sure enough I did find a "big" difference in the internet properties in the box beside the delete temporary files.

On top of this new page I had four options how internet explorer should proceed. My setting was the last box "never"= check if there is a more recent registered page!!!!
    I did change the setting to "automatic" and it did the trick.
    nanouk is a very happy bear now.

Thank you very much for your help and inspiration.