Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-mile Army run test | Forums

OK I need a bit help on this one... I've run across some stuff on the net about these 2-mile standards (3,219m)... and since I usually run around 3 miles per day, I thought it would be nice to undertake this test sometimes, to see in which condition am I... so I wonder is there some nice site that gives an insight about this? I was able to dig up some figure how it is gawdlike if you manage to cross it in 12mins or less... some guy was asking a program which will enable him to do it in 12mins...
    I'm asking because my google skills suck...

Also, I'm using an opportunity to ask you guys whether some of you also like to run?
    IIRC LStarosta was talking about these issues on a few occasions .
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

The US Army has different time standards (and rep counts for pushups and situps) depending on one's age and gender. There also used to be a 3-mile walk test for those over 40 years old or by special circumstance (determined by a military physician), but I don't know if that's still the case.

APFT Charts (Army Physical Fitness Test)

Well, I'm not gonna tell all about my former PT test been there- did that **** while in the Army. (I ran 26.2 marathons and I used to max-out the PT tests)but if you run 3 miles a day then you are doing great.
    A 6 minute mile on the US army PT test will get you a real-good score.
    But you have to be able to do that after 2 minutes of push-ups and 2 minutes of sit-ups, so your energy on the run will be affected by that.I think the standard there was a 10 minute break between events, but I am a little beer tippsy right now, so somebody may correct me on that.

Ran Cross-Country in high school many years ago(according to my son, my times were recorded on clay tablets), so I have some insight into the issue.

An average guy (under 35) in good shape should be able to run a single mile in approximately six minutes, two in 13:30 or so, and three in 20 to 21 minutes. If he has a masochistic streak, he should be able to knock those times down considerably.

Most people are NOT in good shape.

If you're in shape, 4 minutes of maxing out on your pushups and situps will not affect your time in a three mile run. They are anaerobic exercises, working muscles you use only peripherally to run; they won't sap your endurance, and they aren't going to be sore until the next day (which they won't be at all if you are in GOOD shape).

By the bye, I ran my Navy 1.5 mile fitness run in a bit over 8 minutes at age 27 (I pushed it a bit so that I could lap <1/2 mile laps> LT McCartney, who was and probably still is a horse's patoot). The requirement for an old guy like me at that time (1980) was something like 17 minutes.

This was two hours before my daily 4k swimming workout. My thighs and calves cramped up on me big time, so do not try that at home. The look on Mr. McCartney's face made it well worth it though.

cheers

horseback

PS- I'd have scored 100s across the board, according to jarink's link
    "Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

I cannot remember the length of the break between the push ups, sit ups and the two mile run. There is a minimum time between events though.
    I am not one to mention my accomplishments normally, but my best two mile run, and was done during my 12th year in the Army, was 11:16...and I am very proud of that...outrunning guys nearly half my age
    The Army around the the year 2000 restructured how the PT test worked. Originally the younger you were, the harder it was to "max it out". The Army then reconsidered this, and changed things somewhat, and took into consideration that the first few years you were in the Army, assuming you enlisted at age 18, you were constantly getting into better shape, so therefore in your mid to late 20's, it was MORE difficult to max out your PT test than when you were 18, or 35.
    In short, the Army maximum time requirements for the 2 mile run increased as you got older, but maxing out the points (100 per event, or a faster time in the 2 mile run) got more difficult as you approached your mid 20's and then gradually went back up again. It is confusing unless you can take a good look at the scoring chart...which I don't have handy.

This we'll defend

Originally posted by horseback:
    issue.

An average guy (under 35) in good shape should be able to run a single mile in approximately six minutes, two in 13:30 or so, and three in 20 to 21 minutes. If he has a masochistic streak, he should be able to knock those times down considerably.

Most people are NOT in good shape.

If you're in shape, 4 minutes of maxing out on your pushups and situps will not affect your time in a three mile run. They are anaerobic exercises, working muscles you use only peripherally to run; they won't sap your endurance, and they aren't going to be sore until the next day (which they won't be at all if you are in GOOD shape).

By the bye, I ran my Navy 1.5 mile fitness run in a bit over 8 minutes at age 27 (I pushed it a bit so that I could lap <1/2 mile laps> LT McCartney, who was and probably still is a horse's patoot). The requirement for an old guy like me at that time (1980) was something like 17 minutes.

This was two hours before my daily 4k swimming workout. My thighs and calves cramped up on me big time, so do not try that at home. The look on Mr. McCartney's face made it well worth it though.

cheers

horseback

PS- I'd have scored 100s across the board, according to jarink's link
    What you are saying sounds like a bunch of **** to me.
    I was in GOOD shape. I could run a 5 minute mile. But after doing 100 push ups in 2 minutes, then 80 or 90 sit ups in 2 minutes, my emmediate-following 2 mile run time would be reduced alot.

I'm 21, at my age to enlist in the Canadian Army you gotta be able to run 2.4kms (1.5 miles) in under 12 minutes, and do 19 situps and 19 pushups. I know, kinda pitiful the requirements, but we need more recruits, and basic training was extended 4 weeks in order to get the less fit ppl into shape.

Canadian Forces physicaly fitness guide
    ----------------

Life's too short to date ugly chicks

Banned
    Well I retired from the R.E.M.E. in 1991 at 40, but before then...it was 3 miles total

First mile and a half was in a squad and had to take 15 mins...then we were given the off to run individually back the mile and a half

I think 11 and a half mins were the max for youngsters...and increased to 12 or more as your age increased (30+)

it was dressed in T-shirt, long green pants and army boots (they were what made it more difficult)
    I never had any problems passing....but never tried to kill myself either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast