Will or do you think that they will bring back on-foot? I know that on foot will be too much of a clone to GTA AND I know that the frachise wants the game to be like the original in its roots, but if there won't be any on-foot mechanic, then I might switch over to the GTA series if it comes on the Wii U. If GTA won't ever come on the Wii U, then I might seitch to a shooting game. That is how much I like on-foot action. So, do you think that Driver will bring back on-foot action? This decision will only make me decide on what to do. Please answer me as soon as possible. Thanks L)

Sounds interesting. Really wondering if they will bring back on-foot or shift or even licensed cars... but well, as long as the next Driver game is published by Ubisoft, I'm never gonna buy it. I won't make the same mistake I made with DSF. I'm playing on the PC and the game wasn't worth even a cent. On consoles it's brilliant though.

But, i'm only going to buy the next installment if they will bring back on-foot. I'm afraid now, because the developer said that its going to be based on its original roots, I don't know if thats going to be a true word or not and for how many more games.

brok2's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by driverseriesfan:
    I know that on foot will be too much of a clone to GTA
    See right there is where you're wrong. the 'GTA clone' label was a misrepresentation from the start, and while the fear of it held back a lot of games, Driver included, back when it was being thrown around, next to nobody gives the slightest interest in it anymore, and good on them. To avoid adopting advances and features seen in other games where it would have been appropriate for yours too, goes against everything that games strive to improve themselves by.

As for the next Driver, the way I see it, they've got two options-

a) bring out another game with Shift as the main mechanic, and risk the story seeming recycled and the game overall to have a lack of originality, or

b) Just suck it up, and bring in on foot properly, plus maybe shift as an unlock or something, and hopefully make use of the far larger story and gameplay possibilities this provides.

I'm thinking if another Driver surfaces in the next year or two, it'll probably be a), because nobody's tried to rework the game engine much, but I would gladly wait longer for a Driver with proper on foot action.

Has GTA V even been confirmed for the Wii U yet? To be honest I think GTA could use a bit of 'cloning' other sandboxes itself- I still can't get over how dissapointing GTA IV was.

I'd be interested in seeing how succesful DSF was. I can't see how it possibly was a big success, other than winning lots of praise from seemingly every magazine, no one else is talking about it, look at the forums! This place had quite a few people up until the release, and apparently no ones playing online.

I'd go as far as to say Driv3r was more successful, though there was more hype surrounding that game about being a GTA-killer

Hopefully Ubisoft and Reflections will see this and make the appropriate changes - just put on foot back in. The whole debate on gta-clones has pretty much died off anyway, look at Saints Row 3, that game sucks balls and few are arguing over the clone wars.

Ubisoft bought Reflections AND the Driver franchise for around $24 million, probably spent a few million on developing DSF for 5 years, and they're gonna want to make some money off of that. The game is half-way back on track, now its time to take DSF and merge it with D3, make the Driver 3 we were supposed to get

DSF had a lot going for it, but the game is just kind of boring and empty. Its more like an expensive mobile phone game. I got more enjoyment out of Burnout 2, and that game didn't even have free roam OR police chases! Somethings wrong with that!

J_Frumpleberg
    Posted Fri December 30 2011

I'd go as far as to say Driv3r was more successful, though there was more hype surrounding that game about being a GTA-killer

Hopefully Ubisoft and Reflections will see this and make the appropriate changes - just put on foot back in. The whole debate on gta-clones has pretty much died off anyway, look at Saints Row 3, that game sucks balls and few are arguing over the clone wars.

Ubisoft bought Reflections AND the Driver franchise for around $24 million, probably spent a few million on developing DSF for 5 years, and they're gonna want to make some money off of that. The game is half-way back on track, now its time to take DSF and merge it with D3, make the Driver 3 we were supposed to get[/quote]

J, You think the same way I do. I bought DSF for the Wii because I only had that system. I probably would much rater have it on the PS3, but looking back on it, the game would've probably be kind of the same in the driving aspect. I like more on-foot missions than driving missions. I just think that on-foot make the gameplay more interesting. Because I only had the Wii and I wanted a game that had on-foot, I bought D:PL. But I'm through 10 missions and the only on-foot mission was "Gunman." I thought this had more on-foot, I'm sure it probably will be like that later in the story, But I agree with you, D3 was more like a clone of GTA. Do you think that Driver being like GTA is more interesting than just driving missions? I think that there's only so much driving you can do, right? I would like a game to have like 75% on-foot and 25% driving with shooting. Now from reading what you nwrote, I believe that D3 had more on-foot missions. I thought that D3 could have also been improved with DSF also.

Do you think that they will develop the next game on D3, but improve D3 for like DSF?

I really like the licensed cars, but they just don't allow for enough gameplay possibilities. You can't blow them up, they can't be smashed properly, and I guess there can't be any guns (at least for some manufacturers)

Put on foot back in there WITH shift as an unlockable, as brok said.

On foot missions add variety, no doubt. In the meantime, check out this free game I found on youtube, Tricky Truck, it looks like a really fun sort of mini game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbsFaFBGF0

I would go into further detail, but I've done that so many times before to no avail, I really don't care anymore. Just make Driver great again, not good, great. Stop overthinking things like gameplay percentage splits, the title of the game, or "He's a cop, why is he shooting other cops?" - because he is controlled by a player who can do whatever they want. All this overthinking takes the fun out of the game

[quote]J_Frumpleberg

Posted Sat December 31 2011

I really like the licensed cars, but they just don't allow for enough gameplay possibilities. You can't blow them up, they can't be smashed properly, and I guess there can't be any guns (at least for some manufacturers)

Put on foot back in there WITH shift as an unlockable, as brok said. On foot missions add variety, no doubt.

Happy New Year! J, Yeah, Licensed cars is a great thing to add in Driver games now, but the fact that you can't destroy them as well is defently a big factor AND the fact that you can;t use guns. Because you can't use guns, then you can't really have on-foot missions. I guess you can still have on-foot by stealing cars and doing missions, but without guns, on-foot is pointless. So, even though I love the licensed cars, I would MUCH rather have on-foot and guns. I guess not being able to destroy the cars like in previous games is not that bad, but with shift, they can't have on-foot and on-foot is good with stealing cars in free roam, but shift is good with races if you blow out. But shift kind of makes the difficulty easier to move around traffic, but that, like you said, should be an option. I don't really want licensed cars, if it means no guns and on-foot. If they forget that, I wonder how they can put on-foot in with guns and shift. Shift doesn't really matter to me, but you only really need that if you destroy your car. I just want more on-foot missions and shooting while driving than just races and other car missions.

Shift is necesary, so is on foot. If they don't mind stretching reality further (please, go for it Reflections), instead of "shifting" when you press the button, Tanner would pop out of the car and be able to fly around the city like Superman (with a gun also), zooming between shift levels would still be possible, and you could aim the cursor at a car (able to change the angle you're looking as well, this way it won't be so easy for fast cars to get away), press the shift button and ZAP!!! You're in. Just an idea. Tanner could throw out the driver of the other car also.

As far as car damage goes, heres a game I'm a bit late on, but just stumbled upon on Youtube, Rigs of Rods, awesome real-time car damage, and its a free game!!! Only problem is there appears to be no AI of any sort, but I can get past that. It'll probably get boring quick because of that, but its an opensource game, so maybe someone will add AI and then the community can really make a game out of it

And Happy New Year to you too!!!

brok2's Avatar Senior Member
    Dammit! I was waiting for the forum change to lift specifically so I could show you Rigs of Rods! Screw it- I'll just pretend you don't know:

That tricky truck looks like possibly the first game I've ever seen that makes driving a truck look fun. By the way, you might want to check out this little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJy4Mh3ymS8

Sure it doesn't look like much, but I think you'll find the car damage particularly interesting...

As for the shifting, I think it's quite likely that having on foot will be at odds with the way San Fran was set up to have traffic flowing smoothly across the whole city at all times. I would accept more intereaction at ground level (being able to shoot, things blowing up etc) even if it meant losing the bird's eye view. That way the game wouldn't have to have cars all over the city at once and could just work on the localised action. If shift were changed to a line of sight mechanic, much like battlefield Modern Combat's (this is what I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhrCcS6f4bU) then we'd still be able to leap from car to car instantly, but the game would be able to cope with it alongside gunfights and other on-foot shenanigans.

Of course, if it were able to get on foot with guns AND D:SF's shift that'd be great, I'm just saying if something had to give, it should be the shift.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... Last ►►