Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Hearing This Right? | Forums

I'm currently playing TMO 2.0 (Beta Update) with RSRDC. On a number of occasions, when one of my torps strikes a target, it sounds like my XO is yelling, "Yesssss!". At first, I thought it was pretty cool but, then I thought; What if I'm just hearing things? I've only recently been hearing it since I've been playing SHIV with the volume levels higher than I usually have them.
    Has anyone else heard this?
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
    -Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NIV84)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Originally posted by WernherVonTrapp:
    I'm currently playing TMO 2.0 (Beta Update) with RSRDC. On a number of occasions, when one of my torps strikes a target, it sounds like my XO is yelling, "Yesssss!". At first, I thought it was pretty cool but, then I thought; What if I'm just hearing things? I've only recently been hearing it since I've been playing SHIV with the volume levels higher than I usually have them.
    Has anyone else heard this?
    Yeah, there's a sound file that plays sometimes on Impact. Actually a mod to remove it as well if you want.

I have TMO with TW and I hear that - I love it - I am sure when I get my hearing aids, I'll hear more things. I use a professional PA system for sound and my room is partially sound proofed but if I turned it up so everything was clear, the neighbours would think WWIII has started ....hmmmm - maybe that's a good idea.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The aggressive insistence on the worth and unique importance of the common man seems to me to be one of the fundamental Australian characteristics - Hartley Grattan Experience is the art of not making the same mistake too many times.

Stay in the sub and watch the men, they'll make all kinds of cheering body movementswhen torps hit.

You can change the sound file to whatever you like. I changed mine to say a quiet "torpedo impact sir" to match the words. Pulled it from some wav source.

Sometimes the "yes'" got on my nerves with several hits, "yes yes yes," wasn't sure if I was in a sub or an orgy.

I thought it was pretty cool. I'm relieved to find that it's not just my imagination. Was starting to worry that I might be hearing things.

@MWolfe:
    I didn't know they move like that on the sub when a torpedo hits. I'll have to try and get a SS next time. Right now, I'm up to my neck in DDs in the Slot NW of Kolombangara. Found 6 DDs making an evacuation run toward the Canal. Sank the lead DD but missed the second one. All but one straggler is gone. He's now about 4500yds away and I think I'm gonna lose him.
    Thanks for the info.
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Are you using EAX, really makes the sound great, adds a few sounds.

I probably hadn't played in 2 months and finally loaded up last night. Attacked 15 DD's coming down the slot. I lined up and hit one DTT with 2 M14's and went deep. Had cams off, so figured he was dead on the water. Took forever to evade, finally came back up....nothing, guess he limped off. Suckers are tough to sink with TMO, usually 2 will least stop it.

Apparently, there were two TFs of DDs heading for (I guess) Guadalcanal. Right after the first one stopped looking for me, a second one was following right behind them. Six DDs in each TF, almost all were Asashio class. I sank another DD from the second group too. Thought I was all but dead as they started to close-in on me when, all of a sudden, B-24 Liberators show up and start dropping bombs around them. It saved my arse but, those fly-boys couldn't hit the side of a barn. I don't think they even damaged any of those destroyers.
    Now I'm heading back down the slot in pursuit. The sun is getting ready to set so I suppose I'll be running into them again at night, on their return voyage.
    On Feb. 1st, (1943), I ran into the first evacuation TF heading down the slot. Six Asashio DDs. I had total surprise and the coverage of darkness on my side but still managed to screw up my ambush. In a nutshell, I panicked and fired my torps too soon, only sinking 1 DD. After that, they zigged away at 32 knots. Then, I hung around awhile hoping to run into something but, nothing was going on. So, I headed off and raided Rabaul for the umpteenth time. Barely got 20k tonnage there, sinking a DD, a Small Subchaser, a Minesweeper, a Hakusa Maru and a Medium Tanker. Oh yeah, I sank a Junk and a Fishing boat too. Then, I head back to Tulagi and then back up the slot again when I ran into these two TFs. Hoping I can find a damaged DD or two, to sink my shark's teeth into.

Ok, here's the whole spiel.
    In SH3 there's a variable you can set where you can make a crewman (or crewmen) cheer when a ship is sunk.

In SH4, this variable does not work. However, a variable, something along the lines of "successful hit" (or words to that effect), does work.

Originally i added the crew cheer to this variable since the "on target sunk" variable was not working. It took just a few torpedo salvo's for me to realize this wasn't going to work out so well. "Yes, yes yes yes yes!!!" (torpedo orgy?)

Now then, the game has 3 states, they are something like.

-Normal
    -Alert
    -Hunted.

Each state has a corresponding voice tone.

Normal
    Whisper
    Panic

As i recall i left the crew cheer on successful hit, only on the panic state of voice. This voice state will only occur when your being hunted, or in other words, only if there are multiple enemy units around AND they know you are there. (or your boat is damaged while making a successful hit) Otherwise you won't (or shouldn't) be hearing them.

For me, burnout is always one step away.

Is there a sound for the crew's screaming as they sink?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The aggressive insistence on the worth and unique importance of the common man seems to me to be one of the fundamental Australian characteristics - Hartley Grattan Experience is the art of not making the same mistake too many times.

Originally posted by Ducimus_Rapax:
    Ok, here's the whole spiel.
    In SH3 there's a variable you can set where you can make a crewman (or crewmen) cheer when a ship is sunk.

In SH4, this variable does not work. However, a variable, something along the lines of "successful hit" (or words to that effect), does work.

Originally i added the crew cheer to this variable since the "on target sunk" variable was not working. It took just a few torpedo salvo's for me to realize this wasn't going to work out so well. "Yes, yes yes yes yes!!!" (torpedo orgy?)

Now then, the game has 3 states, they are something like.

-Normal
    -Alert
    -Hunted.

Each state has a corresponding voice tone.

Normal
    Whisper
    Panic

As i recall i left the crew cheer on successful hit, only on the panic state of voice. This voice state will only occur when your being hunted, or in other words, only if there are multiple enemy units around AND they know you are there. (or your boat is damaged while making a successful hit) Otherwise you won't (or shouldn't) be hearing them.
    Would sinking a DD and a Minesweeper account for this? I noticed the voice saying "Yes" when I was raiding Rabaul. I don't remember it happening with the merchants (actually not sure) but I know it happened with the DD that was parked there because I sank it to stop it from firing off those star shells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast