Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer computers? Do they suck or no? | Forums

I'm thinking about buying a laptop. I found a fairly good deal, but it's an Acer. Last I remember, Acer sucks. I don't need a top of the line laptop, not going to play games on it, just play movies and stuff like that. Something to keep me busy while at work during the down time...

But at the same time, I'm concerned over how reliable it is, because I don't want something that will be crashing on me all the time, or has really really horrible battery life, or a laptop that gets so hot it will set my table on fire, etc...

Anyway, If you don't actually have any advice on whether or not to buy an Acer laptop, please, don't waste my time. I don't need some philosophical discussion over whether or not a laptop is necessary, or whether or not I should be watching movies while at work, or any speculation over what my captain will have to say about me bringing in a laptop, or how I'm an idiot for considering buying an Acer laptop for movies because you don't feel the same way, etc. etc. etc.

If your answer doesn't sound like:

"Well, my personal experience with Acer is that they [suck and break real easy/are durable and reliable]."

or "I've heard from [some friends/reviews on the internet] that Acers are very [good/bad] machines."

Then please, I don't need to hear it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Dude,

Do you really need a back up computer? Cant you get enough computing done with your desktop?

JK

I have no personal exp with Acer, but had a buddy in CO that had one. He liked it and I do not recall any major complaints, that I couldnt associate with other laptops (Lack of upgradeability). This was also about 4 years ago and anything could have changed with them in that time frame.

I had a roommate at a summer college camp last summer that brought his, and it worked fine. There were never any problems that either of us had with it.
    I have the fifth freedom... so watch out, here I come
    Originally registered July 17, 2002

Lol guidon.

Thanks, I'll really think about it, I know I need one, and the price is right, about $450...

The only complaints I have with recent model Acer laptops are some creaking from certain cases and screen light leakage. Generally they're solid and very nice to use. I wouldn't waste money on their Ferrari models though, and the new one won't be out until October anyway. The 8204Wlmi is a nice model. But as with any laptop you should look into upgrading the warranty.
    The Right to command is bought with Duty, the Privilege of rank is Service.

screen light leakage?

What's that? I'm don't know much about laptops...

They Suck --- My Acer Aspire 5000 series has a bad mother board, and it is difficult to get through to customer service to get it replaced. Web support is just as bad. IF it wasn't still under warranty I would not worry about it, and would go buy a new one. Also, didn't pay attention to the boot drive being FAT, before I had issues, Windows XP NTFS systems can't read the drive, had to go find a Windows 2000 system so I could remove data before sending it in, and now I can't get them back on the phone to find out if they actually did anything.

That guy on TV that throws his crashing computer out the window...where do you stand on that? Did he act properly?

J/K

Sorry, had to throw that in there since I apparently missed this thread before.

No experience with Acer laptops, but I had an Acer desktop as my first PC, and it was a solid machine. My DVD drive of 7 years is an Aopen, which is essentially the same company as Acer.
    "To be afraid of living is to be afraid of dying. How can you get past this, and cherish the fear of flying?"-Juliana Hatfield

CHINPOKOMON!!!!

Well, I noticed that it is formatted for FAT32 instead of NTSF, but so far I have not have problem communicating between my NTSF computer and the laptop. My real complaint about it so far is that the audio on it is highly insufficient...

Edit: Although I wish I had discovered that FAT system thing earlier before setting up the computer to how I like it so I could have reformatted and reinstalled everything just because NTSF is just a lot more efficient and faster...

Doesn't windows come with a FAT to NTFS converstion utility in case you want to convert after you have installed windows?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast