Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the devs ! **update 22/05/2008** | Forums

Hi everyone!

My name is UbiWuzzi and I am the new Community Developer on HAZE (understand your new contact point with the Dev team!).

This thread aims at giving you a steady-stream of answers so please keep your questions coming!

What is this thread about?
    You have a question about HAZE, you want an official answer from the dev team: here is the thread.
    How does it work?
    I will select some questions every week (from the topics I can cover depending on the timing ) and I will get back to you with answers directly from Free Radical.
    What else?
    I may also push additional HAZE-related information on the forum such as event or contest at some time, so stay tuned!

UbiWuzzi

A special and warm THANK YOU to deded999 for his tremendous work in aggregating the massive amount of information and questions about the game over the last months: congrats deded!

**UPDATE** 04/04/2008

Q#1 What made you push the release date to may?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">See Question 2.</span>

Q#2 What aspects of the game were polished during Haze's delays and has it helped the final product significantly?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Mainly it was to give us more time to polish and balance the game. Y'see, most games only feature one major style of play; Haze not only features two (the Promise Hand Rebels and Mantel Troopers) but they also have to balance out "completely" in multiplayer. And y'know what? That's a pretty tough thing to do, and we found that before Christmas, the balance just wasn't quite 'there'. The extra few months have given us the chance to run lots more playtests and really make sure that balance is spot on, so that when you guys sit down to play it, you will be able to choose Mantel or Promise Hand and know for sure that either one is a great choice.
    We've also spent more time with the campaign mode of the game, again running more playtests on it - we've actually rebuilt sections of certain levels to make them more playable - so you can be sure that in every area, Haze is a better game for the few months extra it's had.</span>

Q#3 Was everyone at Free Radical involved in the development of Haze, or was it only a select group of people?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] A lot of them have been involved at one time or another but the core of the team is just a subset of the talented folks we have here at FRD. We've got our LucasArts project not to mention TimeSplitters 4 to be going on with too, so not everyone is involved with Haze full-time.</span>

Q#4 Are you planning on using Haze's game engine for any of your future projects?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] With suitable modifications and enhancements to it, yes.</span>

Q#5 You guys are very well known for your Timesplitters series. Will Haze show any similarities to the Timesplitters series in terms of gameplay or multiplayer?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] I think that at the core of Haze, there's still a 'feel' that will be familiar to fans of TS - it's in the controls more than anything, I think - but Haze is very much its own game and isn't intended to simply be another TS game (hell, we've got TS4 for that!). So I think gamers should approach it expecting something cool, but new and different, rather than something very similar to TS.</span>

Q#6 Will it have little funny bits/easter eggs? (for example in TimeSplitters: Future Perfect there was a secret bit at the end where you got to torture a scientist with different powers)
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Oh yes. My personal favorite is the satnav on the Mantel buggy, and anyone wanting to hear how much attention to detail we put in the game should take a listen to the radio playing on the deck of the Mantel Land carrier early in the game </span>

**UPDATE** 11/04/2008

Q#7 Devs have said that the whole game is seen through Shane Carpenter's eyes, does this mean there are no cut scenes or are they all just first person?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">A. The narrative scenes are in first person, and you'll be able to look around – but we control your legs, if you will. </span>

Q#8 Does the damage depend on the spot you hit? In other words if I hit you in the leg, will it damage you the same as a headshot or a shot in chest?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">A. As in life, if you shoot someone in the head they'll go down a whole lot faster than if you shot them in the toe.</span>

Q#9 Will the mantel troopers be able to see the rebels "playing dead" if they are not using nectar?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">A. Mantel Troopers are always on nectar. The only question is how much they've got in their bloodstreams at any given moment. So, mantel Troopers can't ever see a dead or Playing Dead rebel.</span>

Q#10 When rebel troopers walk through a cloud of nectar gas (from a Nectar grenade) do they get a nectar high?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">A. They'll get a little woozy, but the Mantel suit processes the gas in such a way as to make the effects a hell of a lot more pronounced.</span>

**UPDATE** 23/04/2008

Q#11 Will there be a new gameplay trailer out soon?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] The answer is... YES!</span>

Q#12 How do friends join you in coop?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Just press start!</span>

Q#13 Can I make my own teammates overdose on nectar in coop?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Yes Sir. Shoot them or punch them in the Nectar Administrator on their back. Of course, the next question is why would you want to do a thing like that? You are a terrible friend.</span>

Q#14 Can you choose between Promise Hand and Mantel troopers while playing online?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Absolutely – on the Multiplayer maps you'll have to choose.</span>

Q#15 Will there be dedicated servers for coop and multiplayer?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Yes there will be.</span>

Q#16 Will there be a server lobby to search for games?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Yes there will be.</span>

Q#17 Would you be able to enter a multiplayer campaign stage you haven't achieved personally?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Yes you can.</span>

**UPDATE** 05/05/2008

Q#18 Will the abilities of both the Mantel Trooper and the Promised Hand translate completely from campaign to Multiplayer?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Completely, you will be able to use specific skills of one or the other side to defeat opponents. These two different styles of play have been thought to balance out completely in multiplayer. </span>

Q#19 Will there be free for all on the multiplayer?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Why yes, the needs of those of you who like to be able to shoot at anything you can see are well catered for.</span>

Q#20 Can you do ˜Capture the flag' in split screen offline?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] No, because the game doesn't support ˜Capture the flag.' </span>

Q#21 Can you describe the game types and map sizes available for multiplayer?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Well, the team assault mode is different on every map, from stealing nectar crates from a Mantel base to freeing Promise Hand POW's, so each map you play will be a completely new game type and experience. There's also team deathmatch and deathmatch which allow you to focus on killing as many other people as possible without having to worry about such pesky things as why you're doing it. Each map comes in two flavoursome varieties - small and large, allowing you to get up close and personal with the other players regardless of how many of you there are.</span>

Q#22 Will characters be customizable in Multi-Player?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Well, you can customize other players from being alive to being dead. Otherwise no. </span>

Q#23 When you setup an online story mode room/server, can you make it private so that only your friends can join? And do you have the ability to kick anyone in the room?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Yes indeed - if, for some reason, the idea of having random strangers join a game and shouting abuse at you doesn't appeal, you can create a private game and allow only your friends to abuse you instead. In fact, you can mark as many slots in the game as you want as being private so you can bagsy a slot for a mate whilst leaving the rest of the game open to anyone. And yes, Haze allows the kicking of rude and naughty people from your games to allow you to continue shooting people in the face in the most orderly and polite manner possible. </span>

Q#24 Can I LAN 4 consoles (each console being played splitscreen) in order to play 4v4?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] If you happen to be so extraordinarily rich as to own four PlayStation 3, four TVs and network cables not to mention the seven friends required (who are, of course, the greatest riches of all), then yes! </span>

Q#25 Will there be proper clan functionality?
    <span class="ev_code_RED">[DL] Nope.</span>

**UPDATE** 12/05/2008

Q#26 Is there an online ranking system?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] The answer is yes. </span>

Q#27 What will the online ranking system be like in Haze?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] The ranking system is restricted to allowing you to embarrass your friends and family by being higher on the leaderboard than them. </span>

Q#28 In the multiplayer on HAZE if you are a PH and you use one of the ways to overdose a MANTEL TROOPER and that MANTEL TROOPER kills one of his team mates while he is overdosed - who gets the points for the kill does the PH get points or some sort of bonus points for an overdose kill or does it just go down as the MANTEL TROOPERS team kill ?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] Yes, you'll earn bonus marks for overdosing a trooper but the trooper will still get points for their kills when overdosed (provided they're killing enemies, of course). </span>

Q#29 Will there be upgrades online? like new weapon powers, sniper mode, etc.
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] Nope. </span>

Q#30 Can you turn off abilities and nectar use during multiplayer to have an old fashion shooter experience?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] Are you perhaps the sort of person that goes into a fine restaurant and orders a bottle of expensive wine only to send it back and ask for some Panda Cola instead? Or perhaps you enjoy playing Call of Duty 4 but wish it had an option to make it more like Space Invaders? No, you can't switch off the nectar or other abilities, but if you want an old fashioned shooter experience I'd highly recommend the game TimeSplitters 2. </span>

Q#31 Can you set up an offline multiplayer game and just have a like a team deathmatch game with bots?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] Yes indeed, plus you can toggle the skill rating of all the bots too, if you're especially skilled. Or especially rubbish. </span>

**UPDATE** 16/05/2008

Q#32 Will Haze have a mandatory install?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] You will need to go through a minimal install (about 4 Gigs) but not the whole game. </span>

Q#33 Is friendly fire ALWAYS enabled for both sides?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] Yup. Overdosing a trooper wouldn't be much used if he couldn't shoot his friends! The moral of the story is: watch your fire! </span>

Q#34 How many maps are going to be on the online gaming ?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] In addition to the whole campaign playable in coop, you mean? Well, we have 12 levels which are made of two variants each of six locations. </span>

Q#35 Will there be a mapmaker and an option to put these maps online, like in Timesplitters?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] We could add it in but we'd have to delay the game for another year or so - any takers? </span>

Q#36 Will there be vehicles online?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] Yes! All of them! </span>

Q#37 Will the vehicles be Sixaxis motion controlled? What are vehicles controls?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] Vehicles are controlled using standard pad controls; point the stick in the direction you want and push the R2 button to go! </span>

Q#38 When driving a vehicle, will there be an option to view from in the car?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] Not unless you have a PS3 in your own car. </span>

Q#39 Any secondary functions for the guns?
    <span class="ev_code_RED"> [DL] You mean in addition to being able to scavenge, weapon steal, lay mines, roll grenades along the floor, melee kick or create nectar grenades and nectar knives? In that case, no </span>
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

sweet!
    ill be first to ask a queistion i geuss , i was wandering is there servers u can just choose from, or is it an autmatic find server thing with similar ranked players?
    sign up now for a decent clan with a friendly and welcoming community, join the [TkT] clan at www.tktclan.tk, looking forward to seeing you aboard

Welcome Ubi_Wuzzi!

Thanks very much for taking this role, I'm sure after perusing some of the threads you can still see there are plenty of questions people are dying to know!

My first question is, will there be any differences between the game mechanic, IE, the skills for the two factions, between Single Player and Multi-Player modes?

Also, is there any information on the game types that will be offered in Multi-Player? And will characters be customizable in Multi-Player...a good one of late was, are their female character models for Mantel/Promised Hand soldiers?

I've got plenty more, but those should suffice for now!

Mornelithe

Welcome UbiWuzzi, and thanks for the kind words.

Question: a Haze demo was mooted last year, but since then there has been no mention of it. Is a demo being worked on, or are we not likely to see one now?

Haze FAQ - please check first if you have a question about Haze.

will there be free for all on the multiplayer?

Originally posted by mn21:
    will there be free for all on the multiplayer?
    Just to clarify that, you mean the ability for Mantel to fight Mantel or PH to fight PH right? So a DM-style game with both sides mixed up? Jus thought it needed a little further explanation...

Haze FAQ - please check first if you have a question about Haze.

Hi Wuzzi,

Im guessing that by the time Haze comes out PS Home will be out also. If this is the case, will haze have any achievements?

P.S THANK YOU FOR MAKING HAZE! IM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!
    "If games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?" - ???

At mantels HQ getting high on the \"good stuff\"
    3 questions please answer fully

1.The release date has recently been confirmed on may 22nd then taken back why and when will it be out in europe?

2.Will it have little funny bits/easter eggs? (for example in timesplitters:future perfect there was a secret bit at the end where you got to torture a scientist with different powers)

3.What made you push the release date to may? One second you're saying its finished then a few weeks before you move it 5 months was it because you were afraid of the competition from call of duty 4?

Games don't affect kids coz if pacman affected the last generation of kids most teens would have a pizza face and munch loads of pills

1. a)When you setup an online story mode room/server can you set it so that only your friends can enter the room, like make it private? b)And do you have the ability to kick anyone in the room or do you not those any privilegdes?

2) Is there an Online raking system, and if so is it different for PH rebels and Mantel troopers?
    "Of all the things I've lost i miss my mind the most" - Hackers
    http://i29.tinypic.com/veot9t.png

Here's several possible questions:

1. Can you describe the game types and map sizes available for multiplayer?

2. Are you planning on using Haze's game engine for any of your future projects?

3. Was everyone at Free Radical involved in the development of Haze, or was it only a select froup of people?

4. What aspects of the game were polished during Haze's delays and has it helped the final product significantly?

5. As of right now, are there any plans to bring Haze to the xbox 360 or PC as orginally planned?

6. You guys are very well known for your Timesplitters series. Will Haze show any similarities to the Timesplitters series in terms of gameplay or multiplayer?

7. How would you classify the pace of Haze? Is it a fast paced run and gun shooter, a slow paced cover and shoot shooter, or something in the middle?

8. What type of downloadable content are you planning for Haze?

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast