I love the editor. I've spent more time building maps than I have
spent playing them. There's nothing quite like finishing a map,
spamming your friends list, setting up a match, and hearing the oohs
and ahhs from your friends at the start of the match.
Despite the enjoyment that I get out of map making, there are several
things that would make map making an even more enjoyable experience :
1) Large Brush Altitude controls
a) set to altitude N
b) toggle between following terrain and locked to altitude N
2) Object Locking - prevent the object from being moved
3) Object Grouping - select multiple objects and then group/ungroup
4) Object/Group copy, paste, duplication
5) Walkways, ramps, Ts, 4ways, etc. that are of proper dimensions
a) walkway should be 4 units wide by 8 units long
i) should have 4x1, 4x2, 4x4 walkways in addition to 4x8
b) ramps should be 4 units wide by 8 units long
i) same as 5:a:i above, yes they'd be steeper.
c) Ts, 4ways, corners should be 4x4 units. This makes a walkway's
length equal to two corners for example.
d) There should be objects 'with' and 'without' support legs for all
e) There should be Ts, and corners for the metal walkways in 'Research'
f) There should be a square 4way without railings for metal walkways
6) Structures, such as the concrete rooms in 'Research' should be
dimensioned to fit with the walkway dimenesion. You should be
able to remove a walkway, and replace it with a concrete room
from 'Research', for example.
Note : Regarding the object dimensions. The only objects that seem to
be properly dimensioned are the metal walkways, metal towers, and the
two research units in 'Research'. Two metal towers joined together
are the same length as one walkway. You can place two walkways
hanging off the adjacent connectors on the corners of a large research
unit and actually connect them using two more walkways and 3 towers.
7) Wood/Metal Fences should be dimensioned to fit walkways.
a) A fence should be 4 units long. Two fences match the
length of a walkway. One fence fits a corner, T, etc.
-- chainlink fence is a bit too long
-- wood fence is a bit too short
b) fences should snap to the corners walkway pieces allowing
you to quickly fence in a walkway, thus preventing Sample throws
in certain areas. Do this now and your fencing look shoddy since
they are neither the right length, nor do they snap into a good
position relative to the walkway.
8) All objects should snap to corners, snap to centers, as well
as the walkway snap we have now.
9) Object counts should be limited dynamically. Why limit to only
300 Large brushes if there's only 100 trees? Surely without
the memory consumed by 400 more trees you could fit more
10) Better published map file management. Why exit to the dashboard
to delete those 15 copies of the same map you've been
There's gotta be more to add, but I'll write them later.
- McGrude ( gamertag: McGrude )