Thread: IL 2 1946 | Forums

Hi all. Been away for a number of years and was wondering about all the patches to IL 2 1946.

I have not played 1946 in like 3 years but was once an avid fan of IL2/FB. I was unaware of 1946 being patched.

Some of the things I remember were:

AI not using vertical maneuvers
    AI being able to see through clouds and at night
    AAA being too effective
    AI wingmen not obeying commands or otherwise useless.

Were any of these issues fixed in the IL2 1946 patch 4.101 or any of the patched versions??

thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I think that AI is being looked at for 4.12. There is also an improved AI mod being worked on for an offline mod pack

Originally posted by mike_espo:
    Hi all. Been away for a number of years and was wondering about all the patches to IL 2 1946.

I have not played 1946 in like 3 years but was once an avid fan of IL2/FB. I was unaware of 1946 being patched.

Some of the things I remember were:

AI not using vertical maneuvers
    AI being able to see through clouds and at night
    AAA being too effective
    AI wingmen not obeying commands or otherwise useless.

Were any of these issues fixed in the IL2 1946 patch 4.101 or any of the patched versions??

thanks
    AI have used vertical maneuvers for a while now. Not always as effective as they could be but they do have the routines programmed in to them.

Seeing through clouds was a huge issue for sure. I'm not sure if that will make the 4.11 release but the AI is getting an overhaul and they will be able to deflection shoot as well as fly a little more naturally than before. The code for not seeing through clouds is possible... but it may not be ready just yet.

AAA effectiveness is debatable. The effectiveness of individual AAA units is higher (Oleg indicated as much) but it makes it easier to simulate levels of flak that would be typically much higher. In 1945 the average Luftwaffe base on the Western Front had somewhere between 50 and 100 pieces of anti-aircraft artillery (this is going from memory). We may only need about 25 pieces to simulate that... but it is nicer on older CPU's.

As for obeying commands...they do... but they take a long time to do things about it. We'll see with 4.11 what they are like but you should see some definite differences.

Find my missions at Flying Legends and Mission4Today.com.

4.11 is going to be THE patch for AI. You had quite a good timing for your requests.

But beware, friendly and enemy AI can still do stupid things (like humans make errors as well). Thats part of realism.
    Caspar

Supporter of the idea!

The first sentence of your post is virtually sig-worthy, EJGrOst_Caspar. Seriously, you can never have any idea what that means to us offliners.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    ------------------------------

AndyJWest - "Raaaid managed to get CloD to run on an NVidia 8500 GT - but then, he's Raaaid, and he is, shall we say, 'unorthodox'."

Originally posted by EJGrOst_Caspar:
    4.11 is going to be THE patch for AI. You had quite a good timing for your requests.

But beware, friendly and enemy AI can still do stupid things (like humans make errors as well). Thats part of realism.
    I just hope that the friendly AI no longer fly wing to the guy shooting you down.. and that when you call for help they attack the guy on your 6 .. not the guy you are shooting at..