Thread: How do I turn a jpeg into a Word document? | Forums

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a University paper that I need to convert to a Word document (or similar). I only have access to a printed version of it (the original document is on diskette!).

What is the easiest way to convert a jpeg of a printed page (printed in TimesNewRoman 12) into a document?

I don't have a scanner, it is only available as high res' photos of the paper.
    major_setback/restranger

[COLOR:BLACK]Click on the sign
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

You'd be needing a piece of software that is capable of OCR (Optical Character Recognition).

The quality of the software and the quality of the image of the document will determine the quality of the outcome: How much will be recognized as text. How much of the layout will remain intact. Whether page breaks are found correctly...

I'd just find a floppy drive though, they are available with a USB connection... click here, link to a USB FD at TigerDirect

Good Luck!

Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
    You'd be needing a piece of software that is capable of OCR (Optical Character Recognition).

The quality of the software and the quality of the image of the document will determine the quality of the outcome: How much will be recognized as text. How much of the layout will remain intact. Whether page breaks are found correctly...

I'd just find a floppy drive though, they are available with a USB connection... click here, link to a USB FD at TigerDirect

Good Luck!
    Unfortunately they are much cheaper in the US than they are in Sweden. Otherwise I would buy one (it was my first thought).

I don't feel like spending over 50 dollars to do one document. That's what it would cost me here.
    http://www.kjell.com/content/t...spx?item=38463&path=
    major_setback/restranger

Might be able to find a copy shop that has a scanner and could do OCR with it. Legal firms use OCR all the time because they need to search large piles of documents, and if it's OCR'd then they can just run a quick search and find different names and so on in 100,000 pages of documents. Copy shops often do this as a service, like if an attorney is at trial and needs some scanning and OCR work done but is far from his office.

If you just need a copy of the document in a format that people use to read things, then converting it to a .pdf might be easier, but if you need to be able to change the text in a word processing program, OCR is the way to go.

If you have a desktop PC it would be easiest to fit a standard floppy drive and use the diskette(s). If you are only using a laptop with no floppy drive I suggest asking around to find someone with a desktop & floppy drive. Maybe even pay them for using their electricity.

Any of the above has got to be much cheaper than going down the OCR route

I don't know if you guys have Flea Markets over there but I know any flea market you go into around here is bound to have that one guy with boxes and boxes of ancient PC junk and one box is inevitably chock full of old 3.5 floppy drives and they go for about $1-$5, lol. Usually right next to the box full of those long skinny desk-stand mics that went out with ever HP, Gateway, and Dell "Multimedia" PC sold in the 90's, lol.
    "The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.[Europe], under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep. If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, judges and governors shall all become wolves. " - Thomas Jefferson

A Copy shop might even have a system with a Floppy drive in it already running, so you can just have it transferred to USB stick.

Thanks for the replies.

I am unfortunately in a bit of a rush to get the copy made for a job application.
    I think the University Library might be able to do it, otherwise I'll try a copy shop to see if they can do it from diskette, or if not, from paper.
    major_setback/restranger

I tried 5 libraries today.
    Diskettes certainly went out of fashion!

I ended up buying a USB external diskette drive at a high price.
    major_setback/restranger