Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skinners Etiquette - ADMINS PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE | Forums

This is good.. I have been guilty of violating som,e of these rules myself in the past not thinking.....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

There's nothing wrong with altering someone else's skins (removing markings, adding kill-marks etc) for personal offline use, right?

I used to spend more time altering and renaming skins for DGEN than I did playing DGEN campaigns...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    PhilipsCDRW
    Generally known nowadays as 'Dozer'
    European Air Force trainee since 1921

Ecce Homo vie est Faba

-->Newbie on this website<--

[But not so new else where]

I'm all about giving skinners the props!

Artists are artists and deserve recognition!

Also let us never forget the greatest M8 that we ever had...Martin Wright!!!

I'm an old skinner from years back and any time that I "borrowed" for Screenshot Art [screenshotart.com] I always give props; even when I "illegally" use other objects. (His "people" were replaced by a jeep).

Art is art...nuff said. I'm sure that me M8s at screenshotart.com will have an opinion, but we've been kicking a dead horse for the last few years on that one.

But, you gotta give up the props.

Enjoy.

-T

aka The Original CFS Thunder..."Thunder" at screenshotart.com. Most of the time I do my own skins.

PS Keep up the good work M8s. If there is no "us", then there is no "we". By the way; where can I upload my skins?

also..my other callsigns have been AH_Thunder, _363rd_Thunder, and ...>gasp< _992_Chute (I'd like to forget the last one as much as possible), but so is life.

I remember you Chute..... lol This isnt a place to forget, more a place to mull over the lil glitches in our past, take stock and chuckle at the blunders we once made lol

Mission 4 Today have a new skin section, actually their download section is one of the best Ive seen,first rate user freindly upload download & search facilities, very similar to IL2 Skins of old, remember IL2 skins, back in the day when dinosaur poo was warm instead of...err stone cold and rock like , anyway I digress, M4T has a very comprehensive array of facilities and sections covering most if not all aspects OF IL2s Genres,skins, Templates, missions, u name it, theres a section for it, apart from, no section to download hot Latino Chicks with an odd but admirable malfunction that makes them unable to say no when you call them and say Hey, chick, want some?...bugger, but no fear, Ive taken it up with the powers that be and theyre looking into it Its a relatively new site, once populated as time goes on, it will be really something to match
    Also Your link, I believe your screenshot place has a skins section, although downside is, only members can download I believe?....oopsie. may be worth having a word with the Admin Team, get em to alter that, would reflect well on up & coming skinners like Baron Von Blurtguy...nice fella he is, anyway hope this helps mate...and errr....welcome to the world Id call home if it had a sofa, TV, nice oriental rug, Beer lots of it and a great view of a beach somewhere in the Bahamas, or even a view of the cubicals chicks change into & out of their wicked wicked, yet strangely loin stirring Bikinis....where you ever really gone chute dude? lol

Regards FBS (Fruit Bat Supporter & Designer of the Innovative Guanno Umbrella)<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

FBS

Ettiquette, something your sig lacks. I suggest you re-read the title of this post.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<A HREF="http://www.gozr.net/iocl/viewforum.php?f=20" TARGET=_blank>

</A>
    12th AF, 57th BW MTO Skins

Originally posted by Monguse:
    FBS

Ettiquette, something your sig lacks. I suggest you re-read the title of this post.
    Monguse I suggest you learn the finer points of English like your mate, etiquette has nothing whatsoever to do with my sig, I also suggest you get yourself a dictionary & look up the word Etiquette & take note of its meaning,whilst you're their try looking Up 'Busy Body' 'Nosey Parker' and 'Washer Woman' you should mind your own business & stop whining mate, dont you have some puppies to scare or something?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

good you changed your Sig - excellent choice - better than what you had<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<A HREF="http://www.gozr.net/iocl/viewforum.php?f=20" TARGET=_blank>

</A>
    12th AF, 57th BW MTO Skins

Have another for your list....and will leave you to write it yet would be based upon the following.....

Skins are rarely a 1 person effort. Sure, folks are supposed to credit others used work and ask permission first, yet that has only been applied to anothers "art work"...What about the other efforts that go into it like tips on painting, tricks of the trade, and last of all information to make the skins as real as possible?

Frankly it's too much to list, and really in the end doesn't matter if you learned to make rivets by Bob, or learned the gas cap was here by frank.........Yet what is fair is that the artist follow through....Provide what was promised to that individual if anything and then all is square.

May sound petty, yet as far as IJAFC/IJN stuff goes, i've spent hundreds of hours researching and finding little tidbits someone simply couldn't find. I didn't do it for credit, as IMLTHO the information is historical so should be shared.......Yet oddly here have been the results.

Information asked for, sought, found, sent, long write ups provided etc.. Those who asked if I wanted credit I always said no, yet often credit was given...Most notably in many of those instances, those individuals shared their new found knowledge and work for others to use including me...Kudo's to them sincerely.

Yet since this rash of "that's my flap, or that's my gunport started"....I have provided vast amounts of information, oft times under the "deal" of "I would like this in return so I can make some "skins""........Not 1 out of maybe 6-10x have I ever received anything, quite often as the person states "I got this from bobs, that from toms, and this from you...YET...I don't want my work used so am (now that I have all your hard work in it) uncomfortable providing what I promised.

Having the information I could of spent my time practicing my own skinning to make it better...Yet thought, "why not let their talents and mine merge to produce something really nice".....Hence why I rarely waste my time posting info publically any longer, as since I cannot get the skinners work promised, I must do it myself.

The art has great value and talent behind it...Now try spending days looking over thousands of photo's, looking through hundreds of books and documents, then hunting for those impossible to find tidbits to write it all up and provide drawings and photos.

Goes both ways.......As if I don't have time to provide the information having to learn to skin, then the artist will have no time to skin looking for the info.....Simply the hard way to go.

So quite simply.......

Provide what was promised to those that helped...As by not is the same as snagging anothers art.

-

To be honest, sometimes I think we're too anal-retentive about credit. Anything I do is for the enjoyment of the community, not to feed my ego or pad my résumé.

puts on asbestos suit
    ___(Insert fancy-****d sig here):________
    |................................................. .................|
    |................................................. .................|
    |................................................. .................

In light of recent events, I took the liberty of digging this thread up and re stickying it and editing the title. It probably was un stickied when the forums were redone..

I hope that this goes a long way towards addressing some of the issues that come up from time to time around here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast