Thread: A10 Target Designation | Forums

The way I understand it, there is a group of special forces on the ground near your target with a laser designator pointed at it. Your jet has that little funny looking thing under the cockpit that picks up the laser spot and places a diamond in your hud showing you where to place your weapons. I'm totally fine with all of this but the issue I have is, why does laser detector put a diamond on your hud even though it is obviously not in range to pick up the laser spot. As soon as I take off I can switch to A/G mode and the diamond will show up even though I'm over 40 miles away. The same is true if I'm flying around the target area and a mountain comes between my aircraft and the designated target. Wouldn't the sensor not be able to pick the laser spot up due to line of sight restrictions? If there are certain restrictions due to line of sight, then why were they not modelled as they did with radar terrain masking. That's probably the most unrealistic thing I've seen so far. Also, for an added challenge, I'd like to see this special forces unit on the ground. As with real life it may also be your duty to protect them. If they are taken out then no more target designation and you have to do it the hard way. Just a few thoughts...

Edit: By the way, is this how it always works in real life or do A10's have to search out tanks by themselves without having laser designator support sometimes. I would think that in some cases there would not be enough resources and the tanks could be directed by radio or by GPS from the ground. Just a few more questions to think about...

[img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif[/img]

- AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.8GHz (OC'd to Athlon XP 3200+ 2.21GHz)
    - Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 400MHz FSB
    - 1 Gig Corsair PC3200 RAM
    - GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB
    - No Life

Message Edited on 12/09/0306:58PM by asromzek

The way I understand it, there is a group of special forces on the ground near your target with a laser designator pointed at it. Your jet has that little funny looking thing under the cockpit that picks up the laser spot and places a diamond in your hud showing you where to place your weapons. I'm totally fine with all of this but the issue I have is, why does laser detector put a diamond on your hud even though it is obviously not in range to pick up the laser spot. As soon as I take off I can switch to A/G mode and the diamond will show up even though I'm over 40 miles away. The same is true if I'm flying around the target area and a mountain comes between my aircraft and the designated target. Wouldn't the sensor not be able to pick the laser spot up due to line of sight restrictions? If there are certain restrictions due to line of sight, then why were they not modelled as they did with radar terrain masking. That's probably the most unrealistic thing I've seen so far. Also, for an added challenge, I'd like to see this special forces unit on the ground. As with real life it may also be your duty to protect them. If they are taken out then no more target designation and you have to do it the hard way. Just a few thoughts...

Edit: By the way, is this how it always works in real life or do A10's have to search out tanks by themselves without having laser designator support sometimes. I would think that in some cases there would not be enough resources and the tanks could be directed by radio or by GPS from the ground. Just a few more questions to think about...

- No Life

Message Edited on 12/09/0306:58PM by asromzek

Ok, so in the game what causes the diamond to pop up in the hud. Is it a laser designation or is there some other piece of equipment sending the targeting data to the A10. I'm just looking to understand how this system works in the game and compared to how it funcions in the real world. The main reason I brought this up is because the targets are 'automatically' shown in the hud when switching to A/G mode. I'd like a little background on how this all works. If it is laser designation, am I correct with the line of sight idea and if it's some other form of input, I'd like some details on it's operation.

My next issue is somewhat in relation to my other post on radio chatter. If there is a FAC out there designating targets, wouldn't you be in some kind of communication with them. For example when you get within a few miles of the target area you would request a target and they would lase it or find it and direct you toward it. This just seems a little more realistic than knowing exactly where the tank is right after takeoff. Overall I'd like to see a little more communication for SA purposes, but that's different issue.

These are just some of my thoughts that I've had while playing lock on. I am by no means an expert on anything and I'm just looking for some clarification and cool info on A10 operation. This game is so much fun and I'd like to make the most of it by understanding it as much as possible.

- No Life

Message Edited on 12/10/0312:06AM by asromzek