Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is FragDolls the Hooters of video gaming? | Forums

"Nobody goes to Hooters for wings!"
    -Chris Rock

Take a look at another girl gamer site.

http://www.gamegirlz.com/

Now compare to FragDolls.

Notice any difference? FragDolls has an image gallery of the girls playing video games. Gamer Girlz has reviews of video games from a female perspective. FragDolls has cloying blog entries about shopping. Gamer Girlz has editorials about the video game industry. Game Girlz has one stylized logo with a girl on it. FragDolls is dripping with images of the girls themselves and sylized drawings of them in that bizzaro, sassy, sexy chick style. They even use them for their sig images.

Now which site has more substance about girls and gaming, and which is eye candy aimed at 15-22 year old males?

Note that most of the guys posting here on the forums are just that, guys! Can it be that you're all letting your hormones affect your judgement? Would you be so supportive (to the point of sucking up) if the FragDolls weren't attractive girls?

Yeah, there may be a stereotype about girls and gaming, but I don't think FragDolls is doing anything positive about it. In fact, I think they're pulling girl gamers down with their schmoozing to the young male demographic.

Again, just something to think about, my friends.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Passing through Gesthemane
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I'm on hold with the Modesto Superior Court's traffic division so I'll just address the reason that comparison doesn't work very well. Gamegirlz is a review site, FragDolls, while sponsored by Ubi, sure, is more of a clan site with opinions and all that mixed in. It'd be like comparing Gamespot to Team Abuse's site (old Wolf clan for those that don't know) and the two don't serve the same purpose.

I'll let someone else debate the merits of the rest of your points 'cause uh.. I don't care. Also.. sheriffs suck.

(hey, Rat, I like the avatar. My little brother plays by the name of Jazz and, naturally, uses the Autobot of the same name for his)

"Insanity runs in my family ... It practically gallops."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanthem79:
    I'm on hold with the Modesto Superior Court's traffic division so I'll just address the reason that comparison doesn't work very well. Gamegirlz is a review site, FragDolls, while sponsored by Ubi, sure, is more of a clan site with opinions and all that mixed in. It'd be like comparing Gamespot to Team Abuse's site (old Wolf clan for those that don't know) and the two don't serve the same purpose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FragDolls seems to be a site to pimp the FragDolls and indirectly draw attention to UbiSoft. How do we even know anything written on the site isn't written by UbiSoft. I'd be impressed even if they didn't heavily edit the content.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(hey, Rat, I like the avatar. My little brother plays by the name of Jazz and, naturally, uses the Autobot of the same name for his) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old Skool TF fans represent! (Thanks)

I'm going to leave this one at simply that you have your opinion and we have ours. If others agree with you, great, if others don't that's great too.

But I have to ask, is all of this really necessary?
    - = You can't hit what you can't see = -

Heh heh, I liked Go-Bots. -_- I always ended up missing the TF cartoon somehow.

Stroll down 80's Lane aside, I wouldn't say the FDs are mouthpieces for Ubi in any real sense. Slick marketing for the company? No doubt, but I'd lay odds the views and sentiment expressed by the girls are genuine.

Besides, when you get down to it, does it matter much in the long run?

EDIT: Curse you and your succinct reply for getting there before me, Vision.

"Insanity runs in my family ... It practically gallops."

As the site manager, I can speak to the fact the girls write their own blogs. And on top of that, Eekers! I need yours.
    Former Frag Lady

I think it matters when the FragDolls supposed "purpose" (as stated in their 'about' link) is to raise awareness about girls in gaming, when all they're doing is perpetuating the same old stereotypes about women as sex objects.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by katscratch:
    As the site manager, I can speak to the fact the girls write their own blogs. And on top of that, Eekers! I need yours. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello katscratch! Thank you for clearing that up. I hope you may have addressed some of me concerns in my other thread. (Goes to check.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ratman_tf:
    I think it matters when the FragDolls supposed "purpose" (as stated in their 'about' link) is to raise awareness about girls in gaming, when all they're doing is perpetuating the same old stereotypes about women as sex objects. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So out comes Ratman, defender of women gamers everywhere, is that it? You seem to be awfully passionate about this to make two topics about the same thing.

One might get the impression that you're just here to troll the boards.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Calistah:
    So out comes Ratman, defender of women gamers everywhere, is that it? You seem to be awfully passionate about this to make two topics about the same thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am. I think there's a lot of negative stereotypes about gamers in general and women gamers in specific, and since I'm into the video game scene since a long time ago, it's a concern of mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One might get the impression that you're just here to troll the boards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would certainly be easy to dismiss me as a troll.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast