Thread: Older Chessmaster versions | Forums

Hi all,
    I played chessmaster 4000 several years ago and I loved it. Now I have a newer PC and it has windows 7 operating system.
    I'd like to have again chessmaster in my PC, but I'm not really interested in having the latest version, which have hundred of features that I'm not going to use, and taking some GB off free space disk.
    It would be ok with an old chessmaster version, chessmaster 8000 for example, but I guess it's hard to get now, since they are no longer distributed.
    So my question is:
    does anyone know if the old versions (chessmaster 8000 for instance) is compatible with windows 7?
    And last question:
    Does anyone know if it's legal to get it downloaded from some other internet links? I've seen it in some links when I google it, it's supposed to be available for free, but I don't know if there's a security risk. Norton Antivirus install in my PC says those sites are trusted.
    Thanks a lot in advance!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Chessmaster 10th edition and Chessmaster Grandmaster edition work on Windows 7, others don't.

Originally posted by RookPawn:
    So my question is:
    does anyone know if the old versions (chessmaster 8000 for instance) is compatible with windows 7?
    And last question:
    Does anyone know if it's legal to get it downloaded from some other internet links? I've seen it in some links when I google it, it's supposed to be available for free, but I don't know if there's a security risk. Norton Antivirus install in my PC says those sites are trusted.
    Thanks a lot in advance!
    Hi,

I think that this offer goes perfectly in your needs www.gog.com.

It will be difficult to get any older version of Chessmaster legally.

Read the reviews at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...&sprefix=chessmaster

"The Art of Learning"

Thanks guys for your answers.

The reason I love chessmaster is because I can create different personalities and tournaments. That's why I'm not interested in having the latest version, since this features comes in old versions.
    Do you know if, fritz for example, has this feature as well?
    thanks.

Fritz 12 does come with a "Handicap Mode", which is similar to Chessmaster's personalities, but not nearly as good.

Fritz X also has a "Sparring" mode where it makes blunders and gives you the option of being advised(by a flashing light) that you have a 'Good' move. And it has a "Friend" mode where it will attempt to match your level. But they'er not as realistic nor nearly as much fun as CM! KUDOS for ChessmasteR!!

I don't know which country you live in, but on Amazon.co.uk Chessmaster:Grandmaster Edition is available for about £5, the price of a bottle of wine, or a pizza.

Link!

Hope the link works...

I've not had any problems with this version on my Win 7 laptop. IMHO it's definitely worth getting the latest version at that price, if only for Josh's wonderful 'Art of Learning' tutorials.

Chessmaster 10 can be found for £4 here... And the wonderful folks at GOG.com sell Chessmaster 9000 as download for $10 (yes, that's ten US dollars) here.

Fritz has a 'Handicap and Fun' mode, with settings that have names like 'Fraidy Cat', 'Desperado' and 'Moron'! They have a strange sense of humour over there, but I still prefer the Chessmaster interface for sheer ease-of-use. And you're dead right about the personalities as well Viva CM!