Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap....crash | Forums

I downloaded the installer from the Ubisoft website.
    Ran the installer. All went ok.
    Started the game by clicking on the desktop icon.
    Game loads...I see the Ubisoft and Cyan Worlds splash screen animations.
    I get the loading screen that explains the mouse mode...I see the blinking icon in the upper right corner against a graphic background.
    Within 3 seconds, without my having touched the mouse, my machine crashes to a blue screen message showing a memory location and the words, "Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap" (beginning memory dump...memory dump complete).

No option but to restart my machine with a warm boot.

Anyone else seeing this?

I'm running Windows 2000 (all Windows updates installed). 1GHz processor clock speed. 1 GB system RAM. nVidia GeForce FX 5200 w/128MB RAM.

hogarth
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hello again. Long time, no see!

Do you find any .log files, or something like a crash report, in the \Program Files\Ubisoft\Cyan Worlds\Myst V Demo subfolders?

Take a look at your Event Viewer logs, if any. Refer to How To Diagnose System Problems with Event Viewer in Microsoft Windows 2000.

Also, performance data may help to diagnose the problem. Refer to How to collect information about your computer to troubleshoot performance issues.

Heimdall

I checked the various logs and minidump files. No red flags immediately appear.
    I guess I should do a search on the Microsoft site using "unexpected kernel mode trap" as keywords.

This error is repeatable and consistent. Any time I attempt to run the demo, Win2K crashes. I realize that it is VERY difficult for an application to crash the system, but this one manages it beautifully.

This is, by the way, the same computer I used to run Uru. It is clear that Myst V is a slightly different animal, but I am nevertheless a little surprised.

Dx9 is installed and all functions are go. I think there is just something incompatible between Myst V demo and this system.

Well, I was planning on buying a new machine soon anyway...

Why is it that every Myst game I have ever tried requires that I buy new hardware?

EDIT: Now, HERE's something weird...

I just went to uninstall the demo, and the Control Panel uninstaller won't work - it simply asks me if I want to remove the Myst V demo icon from the list of installed programs.

Furthermore - and this is the totally weird bit - when I go to Start/Programs from the taskbar in Windows, all of my programs and programs folders have been rearranged in random fashion! I used to have them in alphabetical order. They aren't in any order I recognize - it isn't by date, or file size.

Something about the way the game demo caused Windows to crash has seriously hosed my system.

This is not a happy event, I must say...

FURTHER EDIT: I see why the uninstaller wouldn't work. For some reason, the folder in the Myst V application directory called "_uninst" contains no files. I tried running the installer again, hoping that this time it would populate the folder, but instead it created a folder called "_uninst2". At least this time there were files in the folder, and I attempted to run the uninstall application, but it failed with a Java machine error.

This demo is majorly flawed.

I give up.

hogarth

My \_uninst folder has never had any files in it, over about 8 demo installs. This has required manual uninstalling with both Windows Explorer and Regedit.

I've had the incorrect sort order problem with my Win 98SE machine (Contents of the Open and Save As Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly), but have never seen it on a Win 2000 system.

When you do an MS Advanced Search for "unexpected kernel mode trap", also search for "kernel debugger". It's possible that something fairly nasty has happened to your system.

Got a recent Restore Point?

Also, if you have a Registry diagnosis and repair tool like Symantec's Norton SystemWorks 2005 WinDoctor, Rose City Software's Registry First Aid 4.1, or VCOM's Fix-It Utilities 6 SystemRegistry-RegistryFixer utility, this would be a really good time to use it!
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Both the first and third times I installed the demo, I was able to use the Add/Remove Programs uninstaller without trouble. It was the 2nd install that had the empty folder.

And yes, as you can tell by that statement, after my last message I did try reinstalling the demo and running it. The first couple of times I had installed it to a non-default drive on the system. In the most recent attempt, I allowed the installer to place the demo into the default location, thinking there might be some **** code that required libraries to be in the C:/ drive.

No joy. Same system crash, with the same error message.

I have uninstalled the demo and deleted the installer.

The game will not run on this system.

EDIT: Sadly, I don't have system restore enabled on this machine, nor do I use any utilities that repair the registry. I'll keep my eyes open for any weirdness going forward, and reinstall the OS if necessary. (Man - on this machine reinstalling the OS, applications, codecs, drivers, etc takes about 3 days...eek!)

hogarth

(Man - on this machine reinstalling the OS, applications, codecs, drivers, etc takes about 3 days...eek
    I know what you mean. I generally try to do a complete reinstall of OS and everything else about once a year. It seems to take longer and longer each time what with all the updates, reboots, and other c***(stuff).

Banned
    instread of buying a new system, think about upgrading your os to windows xp pro or home , first, if this does not fix it then buy a new system, it would take less money to just upgrade the os

Banned
    Win 2000 system
    Win 2000 system does it have a restore option , I thought that only comes with windows xp systems?

To be frank, I don't consider Win XP to be an "upgrade" from Win2K. Aside from some window dressing and wizards, there isn't much of significance to separate them. My home network utilizes machines running Win98, Win2K Professional, winXP (laptop), Linux and - shock! - Mac OSX (G4 Powerbook). The most trouble-free machines I have are the ones running Win2K and Mac OS X.

Until now, of course.

Sadly, the game isn't likely to run on either laptop machine either. So best option remains to buy a new WinXP desktop system if I want to play Myst V.

Anyone know a good source for a watercooled, super-quiet game screamer?

hogarth

Banned
    Doen't the windows xp , Package SP2 make windows xp different from windows 2000?

Serice Pack 2 =SP2 differ from the core of 2000?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast