Thread: Can't view Forum with perfectly capable browser | Forums

Since I couldn't find a category for forum feedback I thought I'd post in the gameforum I read the most. (allthough never posted anything).

Theese forums have a very rigid browser ID check which is probably doing more harm than good. I'm currently useing Opera v8.00 build 7401. If I try to access the Ubisoft forums with that browser I get told to upgrade it to Opera 7+. Now, in my mind, 8>7, so why won't it let me in? How much would it cost you to include a "continue anyway"-button, or perhaps include the User-Agent string of Opera 8.00 in your script?

The User-Agent strings are as follows in Opera:
    While identifying as Opera:
    Opera/8.00 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)
    While identifying as Mozilla:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) Opera 8.00
    While identifying as IE:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; en) Opera 8.00

As you can see, if you include a check for "Opera?8.00" you will automatically catch all thoose identities, allowing anyone with an updated Opera internet browser access to your forums.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Amnio, I'm using Opera 8 and have absolutely no problems, as evidenced by this post.

Freude am fahren!

That's a bit strange. If we're useing the same browser and I can't get into the forums at any of the 3 "identify as" options in Opera, how did you get here then? You happen to be useing proxomitron to fake your useragent-string? I'm not, but that might be the next step if I can't get this to work any other way. Link to what it looks like when I try useing Opera: picture link.

Oh! Before anyone asks: the extra options which are disabled in the picture, like enable plugins, java, embedded sounds and gif animation won't help a bit. (obviously)

Well I haven't tweaked it in any way, just made it "present" it self as IExplorer.

Freude am fahren!