Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming Ads in Games - opinions | Forums

I don't mind adverts in-game as long as they are done true to life, in SCCT they had Sam Fisher eating Airwaves, it got my little nephew asking what do they taste like and we brought some, now he and I like them. In GRAW for console there is huge boards with Axis on they are well done imo though I do hope they will advertise womens deodrants too. There is also adverts on the side of busses where you would expect to see them IRL none out of place that I saw. Those adverts I don't mind. It's when you see adverts advertising games like how Lockdown did for GRAW, I don't like that.

If done right like GRAW it could make the game pretty cool for each time you play I know some people don't like it I love it, it's not always about big things but little things like that.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

i'm not a fan of these ads at all. the way i feel we're bombarded with ads on a daily basis everywhere we go. on tv, radio, billboards as we're driving, on the subway and buses as we're commuting to and from work. why should we be subjected to them in game? what's the benefit in it for us besides being subjected to more advertising spam?

Banned
    no ****, this is a game

definition of video games (my)

To escape reality, to come to a comfortable place undisturbed by Real world Problems or products. To leave all Traces of this world (earth, Ruled by Corporations) behind and enjoy sneaking up on a terrorist of this Virtual world and be able to break laws that a splinter cell has, to take out terrorists holding prisioners hostage in a bank, to fly WW2 planes that no longer exsist in working form and shoot down other pilots.

NOT TO BE BOMBARDED WITH ****. NO, When im sitting down in my PC chair after spending ($50.00 US) hard earned Cash on a product The last ****ing thing to run through my mind is damn...I should go out and BUY some ****ty deoderant or a special type of ****ing coke-cola. What are the game developers trying to tell me? Give a **** less about Their Expensive product and waist all my Cash on Products that they dont profit on?....

(so I encourage everyone here when they see Streaming Ads in games to instead invest your hard earned elsewhere than to escape reality seeing as all these game developers don't need to eat,sleep,and live. because all they are telling us is to show less focus on the game and more on the products.)

anyone know how to stop these damn streaming ads? (the posters in Splinter cell were fine...untill they changed from the base posters)

Banned
    wow, don't you wish we had filters now? instead of reviewing every time some one says the word ****,****,damn,****,***,***get and many other choice favorites

Banned
    off topic...how do you guys like the "adminstraitor approveal" system whenever you use a word that would normally be *'ed out?....they will have fun reviewing my **** F words copied a few times over instead of using the filter system with better coding

Originally posted by FI_FlimFlam:
    Currently it's easy to block them. But as soon as the majority of gamers start blocking them, then there will be another method of hooking into the servers.

Like it or not the advertising is here to stay. It's FREE EASY money for UBI. It's a recurring revenue stream after the inital sale of the game. They will continue to do it and perhaps refine in ways very similar to spyware/adware and some viri to keep users from blocking it. Then it will take a third party firewall or router based solution to block the known IP addresses for it. It will only get worse - just like those cheesy product placements in movies. It's easy money and UBI will take it (heck most developers/producers would).

As was mentioned before, the video release of TOP GUN started the trend. It's purchase price was considerably lower due to the advertising.

If UBI is using IN GAME advertising, shouldn't the price of the game drop??
    SODsniper
    XBOX 360 suffering from RROD Design Flaw?? I can fix. PM me

Pain heals... Chicks dig scars... Glory lasts forever...

Originally posted by SODsniper:
    If UBI is using IN GAME advertising, shouldn't the price of the game drop??
    SCCT had some ugly, pathetic, annoying advertising, and the game was still about $50. So the aswer is: "It should, but it doesn't happen".

None of the recent games had reduced cost to the consumer because of in game advertising. Again, publishers see this as a post purchase recurring revenue stream at virtually no cost (very little to implement into the game). Unless they made an official stance to keep the price down as a result of ingame advertising it simply won't happen. And we know how likely that will be be.....
    ---------------------------------
    What UBI needs is not "Hype" but candor and honest communication.

A certain degree of ads is ok, as long as it does not FORCE me into something and does not conflict with my immersion.

I pay good money for my game, so I want to be treated as a valued customer who they want to satisfy... not as a sheep which is just playing their games to get bombed by ads!!!

There are people who don't care a bit about ads as long as they get products cheaper. That's OK. But I prefer to pay a little bit more in exchange for no ads!

BTW, I sometimes entertain suspicion, that the most part of the money companies need for developing a game is exactly THAT money, they want to get back by ads! It's paradox, isn't it?

If a company develops a really good game, I assume that most people hear of it just because everybody is talking and advertising about it. You don't need a large budget for advertising that increases the costs for the development drastically.

But after all, I am no insider of the game industry. So i might be wrong!

DreamMarine

Originally posted by Malleus.:
    SCCT had some ugly, pathetic, annoying advertising, and the game was still about $50. So the aswer is: "It should, but it doesn't happen".
    It was cheaper then normal price it was 30 dollars in the us at release on the 29th of march at EB, and in the uk 18 pounds which cheaper then normal games which can be 24.99 and 34.99 in the uk. I remember because, people where suprised on the SCCT board. I myself liked the adverts, people complained about the amd and nokia screen savers on computers, I thought it was different better then having some made up company or an advert for rainbow six, plus they changed over time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast