Yes, it looks much like the P-51 and some hint of of spitfire in the cooling system. Interesting that the performance was below the P-51. they almost seem identical. Shame it was not futher developed but as you know the jet age was just around the corner.
One of the more interesting wartime Corsair variants, even if it didn't go into production, was the Goodyear "F2G", which was to be designed around the monster P&W R-4360-4 air-cooled radial engine, with 2,238 kW (3,000 HP) takeoff power. In contrast to the R-2800 Double Wasp, which featured two rows of nine cylinders for a total of 18 cylinders, the R-4360 featured four rows of seven cylinders for a total of 28 cylinders. It was called a "corncob" because of the cylinder arrangement. The engine would see operational service on the big Convair B-36 Peacemaker heavy bomber after the war.
The F2G had a distinctive supercharger / oil system cooler intake on top of the lengthened nose, as well as a bubble-type canopy, a taller tailfin, and other changes. A bubble canopy had been fitted earlier to a Goodyear FG-1A on a trials basis. Armament was six 12.7 millimeter Brownings, plus the external stores of the F4U-1D. The engine installation was optimized for low-level flight, since the F2G was intended to destroy Japanese "Kamikaze" suicide intruders trying to attack US fleet vessels by coming in at low level under the radar.
An old F4U-1 with the birdcage canopy was fitted with the Wasp Major and a four-bladed prop in early 1944 to evaluate the fit. Goodyear received a production contract for the F2G in March 1944, with some of the batch for use from ground bases, with manually folding wings and designated "F2G-1"; and others for carrier operations, with hydraulically folding wings and an arresting hook and designated of "F2G-2". Development, particularly of the engine, proved troublesome, and by the time the first F2G, was rolled out in May 1945 the need for the type was evaporating.
Production contracts were cancelled at the end of the war, with only five production F2G-1s and five F2G-2s built. They had been preceded by a number of "XF2G" prototypes, the precise count being unclear, with most or all of these development machines apparently being conversions. At least one F2G flew in air races after the war.
In March of 1944, Pratt & Whitney requested a F4U-1 Corsair from Vought Aircraft for evaluation of their new P&W R-4360,28 cylinder engine. Vought transferred F4U-1, BuNo 02460 (Birdcage Canopy) to seeif the airframe and engine were compatible. The tests proved successfuland Goodyear Aircraft of Akron, Ohio was given the F2G program. (Source: N. Veronico "F4U Corsair" - B. Kinzey "F4U Corsair Vol.1)
Length: 33 ft 9 in (10.3 m)
Wingspan: 41 ft (12.5 m)
Height: 16 ft 1 in (4.9 m)
Wing area: 314 ftâÂ² (29 mâÂ²)
Empty weight: 10,249 lb (4649 kg)
Loaded weight: 13,346 lb (6054 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 15,422 lb (6995 kg)
Powerplant: 1Ó” Pratt & Whitney R-4360-4 Wasp Major 28-cylinder radial engine, 3,000 hp (2,240 kW)
Maximum speed: 431 mph at 16,400 ft (694 km/h at 5,000 m)
Range: 1,955 mi with external tanks (3,146 km)
Service ceiling: 38,800 ft (11,800 m)
Rate of climb: 7,000 ft/min (35.6 m/s)
Wing loading: kg/mâÂ² (lb/ftâÂ²)
4x 0.50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns, 400 rounds/gun
8x 5 in (127 mm) rockets or
1,600 lb (725 kg) of bombs
Goodyear F2G-1 Super Corsair #57
Pratt & Whitney R-4360-4 air-cooled radial engine
The Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major was a large radial piston aircraft engine designed and built during World War II. It was the last of the Wasp family and the culmination of its maker's piston engine technology, but the war was over before it could power airplanes into combat. It did, however, power the last generation of large piston-engined planes before the jet engine and turboprop took over.
It was a four-row radial engine with 28 cylinders (seven per row); each row was slightly offset from the previous so that they formed a somewhat helical arrangement (as can be seen in the photograph) - this was to permit better cooling of the successive rows of cylinders. A mechanical supercharger geared at six times engine speed provided forced induction, while the propeller was geared at half engine speed so that the tips did not reach inefficient supersonic speeds.
Engine displacement was 4,360 inâÂ³ (71.4 L), hence the model designation. Initial models developed 3,000 hp (2240 kW), but the final models delivered 4,300 hp (3200 kW). Engines weighed 3,482 to 3,870 lb (1,579 to 1,755 kg), heavy but giving a power to weight ratio matched by very few engines.
The engine was commonly nicknamed the Corncob, since its multiple, staggered rows of cylinders made it resemble one.
Wasp Majors were produced between 1944 and 1955; 18,697 were built. They were intended as a new powerplant for the Boeing B-29 Superfortress; Wasp Major-powered Superfortresses were eventually designated B-50. They also powered the Convair B-36 as well as a broad assortment of other aircraft:
Type: 28 cylinder, four row, air-cooled radial
Displacement: 4,360 cu. in.
Weight: 3,404 lbs.
Maximum RPM: 2,700
Maximum Horsepower: 3,500
At the time when the Curtiss P-40 fighter was initially entering production, Curtiss's chief designer Donovan Berlin was already thinking about its successor. The P-40 was already largely obsolescent by contemporary European standards even before it had entered production, and early war experience in Europe suggested that more speed, more protection, and more firepower would very soon be required.
Influenced by contemporary British and French thinking, Berlin submitted his ideas to the USAAC. The USAAC was sufficiently impressed that they issued a Circular Proposal (CP 39-13) based on Berlin's proposal. The Army ordered two prototypes from Curtiss under CP 39-13 on September 29, 1939. The designation was XP-46 and the serials were 40-3053 and 40-3054.
The XP-46 was generally similar to its P-40 predecessor, but was somewhat smaller and featured a wide-track, inwardly-retracting undercarriage. The engine was to be the newly-developed Allison V-1710-39 (F3R) twelve-cylinder liquid-cooled Vee of 1150 hp. This same engine was also later to power the D-version of the P-40. In view of the relatively high wing loading, automatic leading-edge slots (a la Bf 109E) were fitted to the outer portions of the wing to give increased aileron control near the onset of the stall. Armament was to be two 0.50-in machine guns in the nose below the cylinder banks and no less than eight 0.30-inch machine guns in the wings. This made the XP-46 the most heavily-armed American fighter up to that time. A month after the initial XP-46 order, the USAAC modified their requirement and called for the provision of self-sealing fuel tanks and armor protection for the pilot. The maximum speed when fully armed and armored was to be a rather ambitious 410 mph at 15,000 feet.
In order to save time and get something in the air as quickly as possible, the second prototype (40-3054) was delivered without armament or radio. This aircraft was redesignated XP-46A. The XP-46A was actually the first to fly, taking to the air on February 15, 1941. Even with all the military equipment taken off, the XP-46A was just barely able to achieve 410 mph at 12,200 feet, the required maximum speed when fully equipped.
When the fully-equipped XP-46 flew for the first time on September 29, 1941, the additional weight of the military equipment slowed the fighter down to only 355 mph at 12,200 feet.
In the meantime, while the XP-46 and XP-46A prototypes were still under construction, the USAAC decided in June of 1940 not to order the P-46 into production, but rather to order a similarly-powered version of the already-existing P-40. This was eventually to emerge as the P-40D. This option had the advantage in not disrupting Curtiss production lines by the introduction of a completely new airframe at a critical period. In the event, this turned out to have been a wise decision, since the fully-equipped XP-46 was actually slower than the P-40D.
XP-46A Number built/Converted
1 (cv) Remarks
Mod. XP-46;no guns or radios
Crew: one, pilot
Length: 30 ft 2 in (9.20 m)
Wingspan: 34 ft 4 in (10.47 m)
Height: 13 ft 0 in (3.96 m)
Wing area: 208 ftâÂ² (19.3 mâÂ²)
Empty: 5,625 lb (2,551 kg)
Loaded: 7,322 lb (3,321 kg)
Maximum takeoff: 7,665 lb (3,477 kg)
Powerplant: 1Ó” Allison V-1710-39 twelve cylinder vee, 1,150 hp (858 kW)
Maximum speed: 355 mph (571 km/h)
Range: 325 mi (523 km)
Service ceiling: 29,500 ft (9,000 m)
Rate of climb: ft/min ( m/min)
Wing loading: 35 lb/ftâÂ² (171 kg/mâÂ²)
Power/mass: 0.16 hp/lb (0.26 kW/kg)
2Ó” .50 in (12.7 mm) synchronized machine guns in the forward fuselage
provisions for 8Ó” .30 in (7.6 mm) wing-mounted guns.