Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We thought it's going Wii.... | Forums

Yeah, I feel the same way, although the possibilities are exciting. I feel the impression Nintendo is trying to give that the Wii controller is simple with a lot less controls than a normal pad is a little ingenuous though - with the nunchuk attached there's what? One analog stick and two shoulder buttons less than the new Sony pad. Hardly a much simpler controller, but I guess the nunchuk won't be used for all games.

Haze FAQ - please check first if you have a question about Haze.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

It's officially a NO then:

Is there going to be a Wii version?
    There are currently no plans for a Wii version of Haze. Sadly, the cutting-edge technology we're using requires more power than the Wii has available. If we could, we would.
    FRD FAQS

Originally posted by deded999:
    Yeah, I feel the same way, although the possibilities are exciting. I feel the impression Nintendo is trying to give that the Wii controller is simple with a lot less controls than a normal pad is a little ingenuous though - with the nunchuk attached there's what? One analog stick and two shoulder buttons less than the new Sony pad. Hardly a much simpler controller, but I guess the nunchuk won't be used for all games.
    The Wii remote *is* a simpler, more straightforward controller - just because it's more natural to use.

Seeing as we're talking FPSs, take Red Steel on the Wii. To push open a door, you *push* the nunchuk. To point your weapon, you *point* the remote. To pull the trigger, you *pull the trigger* on the remote.

That's got to be a better, more realistic control method than the more abstract "two analogue sticks and buttons" scheme on PS2/3 and Xboxes.

Also, the number of buttons on the Wii controller doesn't necessary suggest complex controls; as with the DS, many games just won't use all the buttons.

At E3, Wario Ware, Super Monkey Ball, Wii Tennis/Golf/Baseball and ExciteTruck all worked primarily off the remote movement alone. No analogue sticks, with button-pressing kept to a minimum.

In my book that's simpler (and more intuitive/fun!) than what Sony and Microsoft are offering.

Originally posted by joey_melons:
    The Wii remote *is* a simpler, more straightforward controller - just because it's more natural to use.

Seeing as we're talking FPSs, take Red Steel on the Wii. To push open a door, you *push* the nunchuk. To point your weapon, you *point* the remote. To pull the trigger, you *pull the trigger* on the remote.

That's got to be a better, more realistic control method than the more abstract "two analogue sticks and buttons" scheme on PS2/3 and Xboxes.
    Not for me - dual analogs is second-nature now, so how would it be more natural to use? For new gamers, maybe, although if you've never played a game before and get given a Wiimote and nunchuk, I don't see how it would seem any simpler than any other unfamiliar controller.

Also, the number of buttons on the Wii controller doesn't necessary suggest complex controls; as with the DS, many games just won't use all the buttons.

At E3, Wario Ware, Super Monkey Ball, Wii Tennis/Golf/Baseball and ExciteTruck all worked primarily off the remote movement alone. No analogue sticks, with button-pressing kept to a minimum.
    ...and the 'conventional' controllers only use a few buttons on many games, such as the type you mentioned.

I don't disagree with you, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I hold it in my hands - I've just got a slight suspicion that after a while when the novelty has gone, the Wii controller won't be any better or worse than other controllers, just different. Maybe I'll be really surprised about how great it is - hopefully so.

Originally posted by deded999:
    Not for me - dual analogs is second-nature now, so how would it be more natural to use?
    Well, dual analogues are natural to *you* - but I'm guessing you're a pretty hardcore gamer, with 115 posts to date !

However, as a control method, two sticks take some mastering - especially if you want to aim *quickly* and *accurately*.

The hardcore might relish the challenge, but to many people more casually interested in games, it's offputting. It's simple enough to point a real-life gun accurately at someone, but it's an effort to line up a rifle shot in a game like Black! So the Wii addresses that disparity.

My girlfriend is a pretty keen gamer - gaming would probably fall into her top five favourite pastimes. She loves Legend Of Zelda (2D and 3D); she's played through Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time in particular multiple times.

But, the console FPS control scheme... it just ain't happening for her. The fact that you constantly have to juggle two sticks in tandem is too fiddly, high-maintenance and removed from reality for her.

However, she's completely comfortable with arcade light gun games like House Of The Dead.

And as the Wii operates on the same principle - simply point and shoot - Wii FPSs are going to be accessible to her in a way that PS3 and 360 FPSs aren't. So that's a real-life example.

...and the 'conventional' controllers only use a few buttons on many games, such as the type you mentioned.
    Errrr, sure... but do those buttons they give the same range of control as the Wii remote?

That Wii tennis game is a great example. You control your serves and volleys by swinging the remote the way you would a real tennis racquet. That's a control scheme that's *immediately* understandable to anyone, gamer or not.

All you're doing is moving the remote, but you're governing the strength of your shot, the direction, the amount of backspin and so on... all with a flick of the wrist.

Now imagine the same thing on the PS2 pad. It'd take a lot of button-mashing to pull off the same moves - and you *still* wouldn't have the subtlety of control or straightforwardness.

So in that case the Wii is offering *more* control of your onscreen avatar, achieved by simpler means. Good news all round.

Also, don't overlook that a lot of the entertainment value of these new Nintendo consoles comes from the fact that you *are* a more active participant in the game, instead of just nudging a joypad throughout.

For instance, you *could* just map the touch screen and microphone functions of Nintendogs to the D-pad or buttons instead. But where would be the fun in that?

For the record, incidentally, I think HAZE is on the right platforms. I imagine it'd appeal to the many folks that bought Ghost Recon. Also, if the rock-hard *first!!* level of TimeSplitters 2 is anything to go by, Free Radical are after that hardcore dollar...!

Originally posted by joey_melons:
    Well, dual analogues are natural to *you* - but I'm guessing you're a pretty hardcore gamer, with 115 posts to date !
    lol, fair point!

Also, don't overlook that a lot of the entertainment value of these new Nintendo consoles comes from the fact that you *are* a more active participant in the game, instead of just nudging a joypad throughout.
    Yeah, well argued. I think from my point of view I'm hearing a lot about how revolutionary the Wii controller is, and I'm not quite convinced - Wii Tennis sounds good, but trying to get four players in front of my TV, all swingin' away would be a nightmare - tangled limbs would be an instant result! Four people with pads would be fine... I still plan on getting one though - I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

For the record, incidentally, I think HAZE is on the right platforms. I imagine it'd appeal to the many folks that bought Ghost Recon. Also, if the rock-hard *first!!* level of TimeSplitters 2 is anything to go by, Free Radical are after that hardcore dollar...!
    True, (that first level is great though) but they did tone down the difficulty with TSFP; although whether that was their idea or at EA's instigation is another question.

There are a few boss battles on Nintendo consoles that have had me near bald with frustration! (Metroid - maybe I'm not as hardcore as you think )

dont count out the wii

dave doak says he likes it more tahn he thoght

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.ph...ist_id=506&s=m

He also stated they weren't developing Haze for Wii because it lacked the requisite processing power to cope with the game.

Or maybe he isn't well informed about Wii's graphical capabilities?

If your designing a game for next gen concols im sorry but u would have to be informed about the processing power for them... it just stands to reason

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast