Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should this DVD Player work? | Forums

I have heard that there is some kind of copy protection on myst iv which causes it not to recognize certain DVD players for some reason.

My DVD Player is a Samsung CD-R/RW SW-240B.

Do I understand correctly that this DVD Player shouldn't have the problems I have heard about regarding copy protection?

-DaHa
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I am pretty sure that CD-R/RW will not play any DVD. Let alone Myst IV.

As for the problems with Myst IV, it has nothing to do with the copy protection and everything to do with the second disc being dual layer. Some drives make the assumption in their firmware that if a disc is dual layer it must be a movie, not a data disc. Thus leading to problems because it doesn't properly read the file table. Luckily, most of the time, unless you have a cheap LG drive or your drive is really new, a firmware upgrade will fix this. If it doesn't, complain to the manufacturer of your drive, it's likely they'll come out with a fix fairly quickly since it is a major problem.

But in your case.. No, your DVD Player will not work, because it's not a DVD player. Sorry.

Might I recommend a Pioneer DVD Burner? $80 DVR-108, works great.
    ---
    Consider this a disclaimer, unless otherwise stated.

Oops!

My brain is not working. I just read off the wrong device name.

My DVD player is a Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T

Anyway, now that I know to look for the Dual-Layer problem rather than a problem w/ copy protection, I can see that my DVD player is not on the list of known "baddies" so I shall risk buying the game. Wish me luck...

There are a lot of people on Amazon.com complaining about something about the copy protection, btw. The story is that the program simply won't recognize the existence of certain DVD drives... There are so many complaints on amazon.com that I'm suprised there are none here.

-Kris

It's because I squashed them with helpful answers

The other listed issues with the DVD drive are related to SafeDisc. Unfortunatley they used a version which turned out to cause some problems. The NO DVD patch fixes this -- see forums has something on it.

The number of systems that experience problems because of it do number in the thousands, more than likely. But have one thing in common. Almost every one of them uses a drive manufactured by LG. Unfortunately that means a lot of Dell computers have problems

I believe there is at least one LG drive with a firmware upgrade that fixes the problems. Unfortunately it's literally a manufacturing error on the part of the drive maker. *sigh*
    ---

Where can I find a list of DVD players that will not work?

I have a BRAND NEW computer Emachine T3256, but I am running a Radeon 9550 256MB RAM card for video instead of the onboard that comes with the computer.

There is a DVDRW+\- drive in this machine- will that work?

Thanks!

To be honest most DVD Players work, just some require a firmware update.
    ---

Even so its a lack of respect for the fans to launch a game when not all the DVD's drives will be able to read and they even fail to warn the user.

I bought the game I whent to buy a drive just to play the game and then had to give up because there was no way my drive was going to read the cd (just the first one).

@DagHammarskjold:

I have tested the Samsung DVD-ROM "TS-H352A" and it works with Revelation.

@maztec:

The problem is that some big PC builder like Dell or Medion (in Germany) have used OEM versions of DVD drives in their PCs. For this OEM versions there are nearly no firmware updates available. (thats the price to pay when you buy such "nice price" products)

Lutz: Actually there are firmware updates for OEM drives. You just have to find them. Generally by hunting them down on the drive manufacturers website and once in a while through Dell or someone.

amrgs1969, as for it not working on all DVD Drives. There is a warning regarding that in reference to some DVD writers (although I've found DVD writers to handle it fairly well). And often there is no way for them to reaidly know.. Except you're somewhat right this time since they only checked it on a dozen or so drives. Yes, I've grouched about this, a lot.
    ---

I just want to make my point clear for the UBISOFT people who decided to use this Safedisc protection:

Medion is a very big PC builder in Germany (it sells more than Dell in 2004, 3rd place of all PC sellers) and has used real OEM hardware in the past. They got large lots of specific parts directly from the manufactures. For example they have used a Pentium model specifically selected by Intel for OEMs, and also Lite-On and Sony CD-RW and DVD drives that are not available as retail products and are not listed at the manufactures web pages. As a result, you cannot find firmware updates at the official download pages.
    Medion is publishing firmware updates very seldom. As a result, a number of people have no chance to update their DVD drives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast