Thread: Patch not working | Forums

When I try to install the latest patch (I'm on Vista 64 btw) it says:

Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition was not found on your system. The Patch installation will now exit.

What the deal??

Edit: Tried installing the previous patch and it worked. I still can't get the newest one to work.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Are you sure you have Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition, and not Chessmaster 10th Edition?

If that is indeed the case, please answer the following:

<LI>Is this message coming from the auto-updater, or are you installing the patch manually?
    <LI>What was the patch you previously installed?
    <LI>What is the version number on the Help About screen?
    <LI>When you installed Chessmaster, did you install it in the default folder, or did you install it somewhere different?

Originally posted by KHollister:
    Are you sure you have Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition, and not Chessmaster 10th Edition?

If that is indeed the case, please answer the following:

<LI>Is this message coming from the auto-updater, or are you installing the patch manually?
    <LI>What was the patch you previously installed?
    <LI>What is the version number on the Help About screen?
    <LI>When you installed Chessmaster, did you install it in the default folder, or did you install it somewhere different?
    Positive I have Grandmaster Edition. The retail DVD package.

I'm at V1.1.0

I manually attempted to install the patch. I couldn't find anything anywhere about any auto updating feature.

I don't think I installed the game into the default folder. I think I installed everything into a folder that's on the top of my hard drive.

The auto-update feature is new for Chessmaster Grandmaser Edition. When you start the program normally (by running gu.exe), the program will automatically download and install any updates before running Chessmaster.

Installing to the root folder of your hard drive can cause problems. Uninstall it and then re-install to the default folder (C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition).

Or just download the patch and install it manually. You will probably have to run it as administrator or it won't install. Point the patch to the folder where you installed the game.

Keep in mind that in 64-bit Vista the default path is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition

and NOT

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition

like in "normal" 32-bit systems.

Thank you all for the help. I reinstalled the program into the default location, and the latest patch worked.