Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X800 Card Power | Forums

I just put an Antec 430 Watt PSU in my rig,and am contemplating getting an ATI X800Pro or XL card.What I want to know is,is this enough power for these cards?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Yes i have the same card and thats plenty. You will not see much diffrent in the game with that 256 mb card ya might just want to stick with the 9800 pro 128 for the cost though later Reaper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAX_GrimReaper:
    Yes i have the same card and thats plenty. You will not see much diffrent in the game with that 256 mb card ya might just want to stick with the 9800 pro 128 for the cost though later Reaper <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sorry m8, but you are mistaken. There's a huge difference twixed the two (128MB 9800 Pro and any X800). The difference in clock speeds and the four extra pixel pipelines is huge. The 9800Pro reads at 2.6 Gpixels/sec and the X800 Pro reads at 5.7 Gpixels/sec. Geometry Rates for the 9800Pro is 325 Mtriangles while the Geometry Rates for the X800Pro is 712.5 Mtriangles. Memory Type for the 9800Pro is DDR1 while Memory Type for the X800Pro is GDDR3. And that isn't mentioning the 128MB of memory for the 9800Pro (that is rated for 400MHz) and 256MB of memory for the X800Pro (that is rated for 600MHz).

As far as the game goes, the X800Pro can run Perfect Landscape with the eye candy maxed out and nearly double the fr's with the 9800Pro at those settings.

Now, the only way that an X800Pro would not benefit anyone that is now using a 9800Pro is if their cpu is under 1.8GHz. Other than that, the X800 series of cards are twice the card that the 9800Pro's are, especially when the cpu speeds reach 3.0GHz or better.

This and the rest of this post is from personal experience with many 9800Pro's, 9800XT's, and every AGP version of the X800 series of cards.

No ill intent towards you m8. I know you were only trying to help and that is great. I just disagree with your statement, "You will not see much diffrent in the game with that 256 mb card ya might just want to stick with the 9800 pro 128", and as much experience as I have had with the whole lot of ATI cards, I wanted to make my experiences known.

Btw, welcome to the community m8. It's good to have you on board.
    [LIST]
    Honor Our Veterans WorldWide
    How to Better Control AI Wingmen by WWSensei
    [url=http://www.k9squadrons.com] Welcom

The difference between the X800 series and the previous 9800 generation is HUGE. Fortunately the X800s are not power hogs like the Nvidias are so your power supply should be fine.

Owner and operator:
    Beech Baron 58 N8574R

I've currently got a ATI Radeon 9600SE in my rig,so that's why I'm upgrading.Before that,a 9200.And I've only had the computer since last August!Thanks again for the tips everybody!S!

I got the Il2/PF bug last Summer too and if youre anything like me (sounds like it!) you would be better just biting the bullet and getting an X800XT(much better than pro or XL)I made the mistake of upgrading step by step by step every couple of months.Its got to be cheaper in the long run to just get what you want to begin with if finances allow at all.I have an Antec 480w with lots of fans etc and the graphics card runs ok...mind you I do get flickering in perfect ground mode...

Yes there is but there really isnt any need to get that 256 card there aint a game out that really needs it.

He's convinced me Quaz. Giving my XT PE away so I'll need that 4600ti back.
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every single minute of it.

The HellHounds Virtual Air Wing

BTW guys and gals,I just read the latest copy of Computer Pilot magazine,and it seems like ATI has come up with a real winner here.How about a card with 512,yes 512 MB of memory!If it's the one I heard about a couple of weeks ago,it think it has something like 24 pipelines for the data/pixels.I wonder how much power you'll need to run this one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAX_GrimReaper:
    Yes there is but there really isnt any need to get that 256 card there aint a game out that really needs it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true. But the 256MB ram is just a by-product of higher end cards and not necessarily the main reason the higher end cards have more umph. That doesn't mean that you can't tell the difference between a 128MB 9800Pro and a 256MB 9800Pro, because, for sure, you can tell a difference. (Or I should say that I could and only playing this game. All of my experiences are limited to this game only.) But it is the other things I posted about above that makes the higher cards what they are and what they can do for you. And the amount of ram a higher end card has is just along for the ride.

As a matter of fact, ATI released an engineering sample of the X850 that was sporting 512MB ram. Again your arugment holds true, there aren't any games on the market the can utilize that much memory, but evidently, it allows the card in question to perform at even higher levels of performance than what we have now. It seems as if the card manufactures are staying ahead of the curve because before too long, there will be games that will benefit from having 256MB memory on a video card.
    [LIST]
    Honor Our Veterans WorldWide
    How to Better Control AI Wingmen by WWSensei
    [url=http://www.k9squadrons.com] Welcom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast