Thread: Hydrophone, RADAR/Radio. | Forums

Hey, I´m kinda new on this game, just played it a few days so there´s some things I could use some help with. I don´t understand the Hydrophone, RADAR/Radio. I´m unable to turn on the RADAR, I have absolutely no idea how the radio works and I can´t use the hydrophnoe wheel for some reason.

The only thing it says in the manual is ´´Left click on the hydrophone wheel to rotate it´´. But when I click on it, nothing happens.

Anyone knows how it work?

Grateful for answer.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

On early days of WWII the radar wasn't even invented yet. Radio works for you quite "automatically". If you're surfaced and radio isn't damaged you can send status reports (from captain's log) and if you see a convoy / task force you can report it as a contact.

However, you receive radio messages, like convoys and other stuff. Some of them maybe nearby worth investigating. I have also received messages while being submerged, I think it's a bug.

Of hydrophones. If you use initial ones you cannot "tune" them. They are welded to the sides of your Unterseeboot, they hear whats on side on you, not ahead. Not behind. You can upgrade it on first mission after tutorial, though. Talk to the guy next to admiral-looking guy at port.

Okey, tank you very much for explaining. I´ve read about the status report in the manual but didn´t understand that you´ll send them from the captain´s log.

You can use the hydrophone. Man the station and use the home or end keys to adjust the bearing.

To move the hydrophone, I scroll my middle mouse button

On early days of WWII the radar wasn't even invented yet.
    Yep. But it doesn't make any trouble for The Dev to put 3d radar station in the boat in times when nobody even thought about such fancy technology.
    ========================

I'm realy surprised that U-boats in this game don't sail upside down.

Okay, thank´s for all the answers.

When I upgrade the hydrophone, I can no longer see the contacts on the maps when surfaced. You know the grey and blue pointers that show when a ship's detected but you've not seen it yet?

With the upgraded hydrophone these only appear when submerged, but the other one works on the surface too. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

If this is normal I'll stick to the original, as it becomes very difficult to find ships otherwise!

Originally posted by jon476:
    With the upgraded hydrophone these only appear when submerged, but the other one works on the surface too. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?
    That's how it works and you're not doing anything wrong.

The GHG hydrophone you start out with has the 'phones along the hull which is why they work on the surface. In reality I don't think this happened, but in game I like it since you don't miss as many contacts

The upgraded hydrophone, KDB, is a little rotating T shaped apparatus on the front deck of the boat which only worked when submerged.

As you've noticed, when you upgrade your hydrophones you'll miss a LOT more contacts unless you're constantly submerging to check.

Gruppenhorchgerat (GHG)

The standard U-boat hydrophone, the GHG (Group Listening Apparatus) was installed in U-boats from 1935 onwards. It consisted of two sets of hydrophones mounted on each side of the bows, covering two arcs of 140 degrees on the sides of the U-boat. Because the hydrophones could not be rotated, the triangulation was most effective with sound sources coming from the sides, with deteriorating accuracy as the source moved to the front or rear of the boat. Consisting of 24 hydrophones, the GHG could pick up lone vessels up to 20 kilometers and convoys up to 100 kilometers away. The detection range however was also dependant on sea conditions.
    Kristalldrehbasisgerat (KDB)

The KDB (Crystal Rotating Base Apparatus) was an improvement of the GHG in that it was rotatable and hence able to provide more accurate readings from any direction. The disadvantage however was its extreme vulnerability to depth charges.

Oh ok then...thanks for the help. I think I'll stick to the older one.