Thread: Question about use of FB Cd on a CD-R drive | Forums

I posted a question yesterday morning about the warning not to use the FB cd on a CD-R drive. Is there some reason for this? I only have a DVD-R drive and want to install FB. Should I make a backup disk and use it or what?

I'm kinda confused about this, first time I've ever seen such a warning.

Im also confused as to what happened to my previous post. It disappeared.

Sabre
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I posted a question yesterday morning about the warning not to use the FB cd on a CD-R drive. Is there some reason for this? I only have a DVD-R drive and want to install FB. Should I make a backup disk and use it or what?

I'm kinda confused about this, first time I've ever seen such a warning.

Im also confused as to what happened to my previous post. It disappeared.

Sabre

There are problems with some cd-r and dvd-r drives due to the way the copy protection works in this game. try it in yours and see if it works. There are some fixes for common problems so if any occur repost with error message.

ps discussions of "backups" and copies on this forum are forbidden under code of conduct and could result in your posts being removed and a ban order being enforced

Are you confused,lost and alone ? Dont Worry
    Airwarfare is your friend
    http://mission4today.com/

A lot of modern copy protection systems are kind of like what used to happen to old Amiga games copy protection. The system basically depends on the original pressed disc having a certain physical signature and characteristics which are hard to replicate just by writing the disc with a conventional DVDR or CDR. If your CDROM either ignores these deliberate physical errors, or has some system for reading data that isn't the typical Constant Angular Velocity system used in most cheap ROM disc drives, this can affect the way the copy protection signature is read back to the program itself. DVDRs and some CDRs and laptop drives are the most likely to reject the bad data used in safedisc protection, also older drives that might not be able to spin/read as accurately as they could when they were new.

You could also give this a try if you're still having problems:

http://www.macrovision.com/products/...ownloads.shtml

No idea whether it works with PF.

There are other alternatives around Safedisc if you are still having problems, though as mentioned in the other post they're unwelcome topics for discussion on the games official site.

My apologies for not reading the COC first. I won't mention the unmentionables again. Thanks for the info on the problem, I've just finished installing FB and had no problems with recognition. I'm about to start doing the patches n stuff.

Rgds
    Sabre