Thread: 64 bit or 32 bit OS ? | Forums

Hi, I've got a question regarding Windows OS: is better for the SH5 to have a 64-bit CPU (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+) and the 64-bit Windows 7 ??? Or will it be smoother running on 32-bit Windows XP with the same CPU ?

In other words: Has the SH5 a 64-bit native version of code for the 64-bit OS (Win 7) ?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I won't give you a definitive answer but something I considered recently.

I was considering upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 and now I have done so am more than happy with the results as Windows 7 is a Mercedes compared to the Carthorse that was Vista.

In the not too distant future Microsoft support for Xp will end so you will need to upgrade your system and if you now have the opportunity to do it then I would personally make that leap. Whether it is 32 bit or 64 Bit Windows 7 that is a personal choice but I will tell you now that Windows 7 will not disappoint.

Maverick

One of the Older Generation and Proud of it!!!
    Intel Corei7 2600k, 8gb Corsair RAM, Nvidia GTX670 Graphics, 120GB SSD & 128 SSD with Windows 7, 1TB HDD.

According to the info I've seen SH5 will run just as well on a 32-bit or 64-bit system. I'm running Win 7 64-bit right now and have no complaints about it whatsoever.

"Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" LtCDR Samuel D Dealey
    SHIV Guide I Imperial Japanese Navy l US Submarines: Pacific Theater

Thanks for your replies.

Vista 64 bit and I never had any problems with hardware or software. A 64 bit OS is better because it allows you to have more ram. Vista & Windows 7 allocates your ram more efficiently by cashing you ram.
    3.0GHZ Dual Core CPU, 8GB XMS 2 SYSTEM Ram, EVGA Akimbo 8800GT 1GB DDR3 Video Ram, Vista 64

Thanks for the answer.
    But I was asking about the way the code of the SH5 is written. I think, there is a difference between an application written for a 32-bit's system and for a 64-bit's system.

Originally posted by Bohaatstvo:
    Thanks for the answer.
    But I was asking about the way the code of the SH5 is written. I think, there is a difference between an application written for a 32-bit's system and for a 64-bit's system.

As for the way the code is written, I believe that is a question only the Devs of SH5 could answer and I don't think an answer will be forthcoming.

The main difference between 32bit and 64bit is that software written for 64 bit computing can adress more than 4 GBs of RAM.

SH3 used a protection system that couldn't install under Vista x64, because it required installation of a driver that couldn't run and wasn't upgradeable under Vista x64 (It might have been under XP64, but I haven't checked it). That is why you couldn't run SH3 on Vista x64.

If you are going to install more than 4 GB RAM then yes I would recommend a 64 bit OS, but I don't think SHV is going to take advantage of more memory, because the majority of users have less than 4 GB of RAM and only a 32 bit OS, so the game is probably optimized for having less memory available to it.