Thread: Myst IV Mist-Revelation | Forums

Myst IV Mist-Revelation.

Running on a Mac G4 powerbook laptop
    OSX 10.3.6
    1.25GHz
    1GB DDR SDRAM Memory
    64MB VRAM / ATI

OK, OK, So I've patched the game with the V1.01 patch, and still it crashes (no set pattern to this, just decides to go down when it wants to). Have tried lowering display size, turning off sounds etc etc etc, but to no avail - Any other folks have such problems. To say that I am unimpressed with this game's lack of usability is an understatement!!! And the game costs $89.95Aust here in Australia - Albeit you also get a FREE(?) game included - 'Simon The Sorcerer II' mind you no one can play it as it has to operate on the old (now defunct 2 years ago) Mac OS9 operating system - gee! clever one Ubi!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Myst IV Mist-Revelation.

Running on a Mac G4 powerbook laptop
    OSX 10.3.6
    1.25GHz
    1GB DDR SDRAM Memory
    64MB VRAM / ATI

OK, OK, So I've patched the game with the V1.01 patch, and still it crashes (no set pattern to this, just decides to go down when it wants to). Have tried lowering display size, turning off sounds etc etc etc, but to no avail - Any other folks have such problems. To say that I am unimpressed with this game's lack of usability is an understatement!!! And the game costs $89.95Aust here in Australia - Albeit you also get a FREE(?) game included - 'Simon The Sorcerer II' mind you no one can play it as it has to operate on the old (now defunct 2 years ago) Mac OS9 operating system - gee! clever one Ubi!!!!

Whoa whoa! I'm in australia and I didn't get Simon the Sorceror II.
    Umm the 1.01 patch was terrible. It was a freak accident.
    I just found out this minute that 1.02 was released, I havent tried it yet (Im currently downloading it) - give that a shot.

And PLEASE don't complain when a game doesnt work like its supposed to. If its a bad game, fine, then complain. But if its not working properly, then it doesnt say anything about the game itself.

I think you'll find 95% of people here love it to bits...

Looks like you Mac guys have the same problems with the game as us PC guys. Must be the software.

Apparently 1.01 was a freak accident for PC's .. apparently it works just fine on the Mac.

As for OS9, enable emulation for it. It works, more than likely. And I'm pretty sure that's a free option in OSX, to emulate OS9.. haven't seen an OSX box w/o it.

As for crashing, you're running this on a laptop, which is known to be an issue for the game. quote blah blah blah "laptop versions of these chipsets are not supported" blah blah blah.

Now that we have that nonsense covered. It's possible you could tune your system to eventually get it working. I assume you have a Radeon 7500 card in that puppy? (hopes for better).

Unfortunately I'm not a mac officiando. And am not going to pretend to be one.

But, we do have a healthy community of mac users you can refer to. They all live at the forums indicated by this post:
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=t...36&m=493003407

Hope they can help you. If you figure out an answer please let me know so I can pass it along

Maz
    ---
    Consider this a disclaimer, unless otherwise stated.

Well thanks guys for the input, just would like to add a few things...

Eat_My-Shortz said..."Whoa whoa! I'm in australia and I didn't get Simon the Sorceror II." = It's available (as in the package) free with all Myst IV games issued by PICA SOFTWARE (Victorian distributor).

maztec said..."As for OS9, enable emulation for it. It works, more than likely. And I'm pretty sure that's a free option in OSX, to emulate OS9.. haven't seen an OSX box w/o it".

I have no intention of going back a few years to Classic (read OS9) mode, I work/play in the present. Yes, OS9 (Classic) is an option, but heh the folks that go there obviously are too cheap to update their related software.

Eat_My_Shortz continued to write... "And PLEASE don't complain when a game doesnt work like its supposed to. If its a bad game, fine, then complain. But if its not working properly, then it doesnt say anything about the game itself".

Hell yes, I will complain, this game has been personally tried on the aforementioned G4 laptop, plus TWO a G5 towers - 2.5Ghz Dual (1.5GB) and G5 2Ghz dual (1GB) , with the very same crash results on all machines. It is a matter of better beta testing on the part of the game maker. Don't get me wrong, the reason I went for Myst IV was because of the fabulous earlier versions, no complaints there - I expect things to work when the box states the minimum hardware requirements, it should work with those requirements. Put simply - it does not. Maybe my problem is having computers too powerful? Just the number of posts web-wide prove that Myst IV is still in beta testing mode.

Just an update to patches - the PC patch v1.02 is out and about - it is a massive 41+Megs (huge in anyone's update language) - just proves that the game's construction was flawed bigtime. Now, where is that v2 Mac patch?

tv21, doesn't need one. v1.01 apparently was fine for the mac. v1.02 only fixed errors in the PC patch.

You don't have to start your computer in OS9 mode, just emulate it if you want to play the game.

And you have every right to complain.

Wait, You have three computers that are all having the same issue? It's entirely possible you have something installed on all three that is causing a conflict. What's similar amongst the three?

Have you sent a report to Ubi?

And my apologies for not being more use -- but did you go at least try talking to the other Mac users of the game?
    ---

Hi maztec,

To answer...

*** tv21, doesn't need one. v1.01 apparently was fine for the mac. v1.02 only fixed errors in the PC patch.

Apparently not fine for the Mac.

**** You don't have to start your computer in OS9 mode, just emulate it if you want to play the game.

Totally understand this, just do not wish to play outdated (read - did not sell well originally, hence Free with Myst IV - game).

**** Wait, You have three computers that are all having the same issue? It's entirely possible you have something installed on all three that is causing a conflict. What's similar amongst the three?

All 3 comps are not related, as in 1 x home, 2 x work (in diff. locations, and all with diff. settings - so no major similarities, apart from being Macs).

*** Have you sent a report to Ubi?

Yes, no reply yet.

**** And my apologies for not being more use -- but did you go at least try talking to the other Mac users of the game?

I thank you for showing some interest, after all we are all Myst fans, it's just that my interest is not in testing beta games

tv21, I understand your frustration here. And let it be known you aren't beta testing the game. For the majority of people it actually does work. If it makes you feel any better bugs like this come up for every game. You should see the HalfLife2, Halo2, and Doom3 tech forums *runs away in fear* -- and those contain people who fit a psychological complex that is sometimes scary (note I say sometimes, not always). I've seen people threaten to kill the game designers, eeeeshk.

Anyway.. Please check your private message?

Maz
    ---