Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions | Forums

It's hard to make recommendations when you don't know what the game structure is going to be.

- Squad design.
    Optimal
    The best squad design was the original - 3 teams with character switching and the tactical map for placing waypoints. The only things needing changing were improving the AI of the team, improving the pathfinding, and increasing the number of operatives. The squad order system was well implemented. The advantage of character switching was a more varied experience. The original game design allowed players to go anywhere on the map in different directions, and made the game more open ended in design.

Realistic
    It seems evident from game design that character switching is passe. nearly all games today are single character. Most games either have no squad control or only 1 squad and do not support waypoint setting. That has been replaced by line of sight commands.

This is much more limiting than the original design, you cannot send squads to far points of the map, your FOV is now limited to the area of the map you can see in front of you. That has led to more linear game design, with restricted maps and linear objectives, with more emphasis on scripted events which require tripping script triggers. If you liked the original game, these changes can hardly provide the same game experience.

However, if you are faced with a decision to make a single charcter, 1 squad game, it doesn't mean that the game has to be linear. If you want to make up for the absence of multiple squads, you have to make the single squad concept work - the team AI has to be very good, they have to be able to recognize their environment and use cover. Most important, you have to have very precise control over your squad. The best solution would be to be able to give orders to any member or combination. In other words, I could order 1 man to recon forward while ordering the other 2 to flank, while I flanked from another direction. You need easy to use, intuitive orders. The most important is a precise "go to" order to place team members exactly where you want them, coupled with the old ROE modes where they either attack any enemy or recon, attack only if attacked.

The context sensitive commands in GR 2 were very well implemented and should be looked at.

You need to be able to move your squad members around the map, be able to have them recon the enemy, be able to order them to attack, suppress, use stationary weapons, hold in place, defend a position, use AT, place charges. There should be a quick command to order them to go from defensive to offensive. If you could implement this kind of squad control, you will make the game far more tactical and increase replayability.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Modding

The GR mod community is the most creative and prolific of any game. I would suggest that you look at the missions editor and build on that - make it easier to use, expand the scripting potential. Most importantly, release the modding tools witht the game, especially support for Photoshop, 3DMax, etc.

Vehicles
    In the game - yes
    Driveable - no

Enemy vehicles in the form of armor, helis, especially if they have a bothunt AI would be very good. I'm thinking of attack helis or tanks that patrol a section of the map and will pursue you if you are spotted. Ambushing a column is always good. Friendly vehicles can be handled like non interactive elements that have a plan and path. Or maybe you could interact with them by giving them orders the same way you order your squad. Or they could be used like special events like airstrikes or mortar attacks that you would direct yourself and have a certain number of them.

Vehicle models are a serious source of inspiration to modders and should be looked at in that light as well.

FPV
    I like the OTS and I very much prefer the classic GR view, I have no serious objection to weapon view, but, it absolutely has to be able to be toggled off.
    Keep the narrow zoom view for the sniper rifle and NV should be the same view as the goggle view.

WEAPONS

Look seriously at the weapon treatment in classic GR, they did it right. No iron sights, no recoil, no weapon sway, no artificial weapon twitch or inaccuracy like they did in BIA and FTF to simulate stress or inaccuracy under fire. Look at RVS to see how not to do weapons. Look at the GR mods to see how to do them right.

Tac Map
    There should be a gridded full screen toggled tac map for coop play. It would be even better if a designated player could assign waypoints for squads or elements in coop play.

KIT SELECTION

Keep the kit selection from GR 2 where you can select independently from 4 sections. Add more weapons for variety and model them accurately, especially the sounds. Include a good selection of suppressed weapons for quiet work. limit any uberweapons like the gun camera to a few missions and in MP, but, unlock it for quick missions.

If you put smoke grenades in the game, make them work.

Limit the weapons to a primary and secondary, but, add some SMGs for secondaries.

MAPS

Make them large and as open as possible, no artificial barriers. None of this "you will see what we want you to see." We don't want or need a lot of scripted events, keep them to a minimum, I would rather trigger events like an airstrike myself. Deformable terrain and destructible buildings are fine, but, they are no substitute for gameplay. What I would like to see is a map that allows plans to be thought out and executed, and alternative plans and routes can be explored.

In an urban setting, it remains to be seen if ideas like a dynamic campaign or dynamic missions can be implemented. As long as the mission objectives are varied.

I would like to see the GR and Gr 2 maps imported to the new game engine, with or without gametypes, modders can add those.

MP

- replays are a must.

- direct IP and support for ASE

- take a look at the classic GR pregame screen, this is essential for chat, load out discussion, mission discussion, squad selection, weapon selection.

- medic feature. Not even sure if it is going to be in the game, it would be a nice feature for MP coop and SP, but not med kits or something similar.

- better kick and banning options for admins.

- allow players to join ongoing games in coop. Not sure it is a good idea for adversarial.

Kits and Weapons:

I'd like to see handguns (9mm and .45 APC) standard for all kits. Also make them effective.
    In GR1 pistols and the small SMG's were less than usless, mainly because of no penetrating power in the game. I'm not asking for a uber pistol but if I pull a .45 (suppresed or otherwise) and put a slug in a Tango's chest...he goes down. Not from 100 feet out but say, a radius of 10-12 feet. Also...not every shlub 3rd world tango has body armor.

Usable and accurate reticles for all guns. Pistols should get usable iron sights with some sort of trit coated sight. If the gun has a Aimpoint type sight (not sure how you will deal with the tradmark issues) but give us good tactical sights.

Originally posted by Kurtz_:
    MP

- replays are a must.

- direct IP and support for ASE

- take a look at the classic GR pregame screen, this is essential for chat, load out discussion, mission discussion, squad selection, weapon selection.

- medic feature. Not even sure if it is going to be in the game, it would be a nice feature for MP coop and SP, but not med kits or something similar.

- better kick and banning options for admins.

- allow players to join ongoing games in coop. Not sure it is a good idea for adversarial.
    Agreed, with one suggestion.

Medics. I think a good feature in the game would be that if you are shot you continue to bleed at a slow but substantial rate. A medic should be able to do no more than stop the bleeding. Wounds should decrese accuracy based on location, or you mobility if its chest or legs. This would make having a team medic a tactical choice not an advantage.

Also, remember in GR how when you got hit in the chest you could hear you character sucking air, this should be carried over, its just a nice touch.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast