Thread: Weird install error Myst V EoA | Forums

Hi,

I tried to install Myst V EoA, and it didn't work.

At the end of the 'installation' it said:
    "One or more errors occurred during the copying of files (files1). Please refer to the install log for additional information."

And so I did. The install log says:
    "(Aug 18, 2011 12:27:08 PM), Install, com.installshield.product.actions.Files, err, java.io.IOException: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
    STACK_TRACE: 19
    java.io.IOException: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.archive.index.ISInflaterInputStr eam.fill(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.archive.index.ISInflaterInputStr eam.read(Unknown Source)
    at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.actions.Files.copy(Unkno wn Source)
    at com.installshield.product.actions.Files.copyFileWi thFileService(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.actions.Files.install(Un known Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl.installProductAction(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.getResultForProd uctAction(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.Installa bleObjectVisitor.visitComponent(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.Installa bleObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(Unknow n Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.Installa bleObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJava ProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(Unknown Source)
    at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOpera tion.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)"

During the install, my DVD-ROM driver was making lotsa sounds, and everytime one item was done it made a noise (dunno this helps...).
    Only the sounds stopped at Descent_Textures.prp.
    It was quiet. After a little while it was done with that file, and then was something with SoundDecompresser.exe or something and a new window popped up, saying something about audio files, and after that an error.

After this the installation stopped at 44/45%...

Please help! I wanna play Myst!!!

GlitchHero9724
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Welcome to the Forums!

Questions:

1. Which operating system are you running? If it's Win XP, which Service Pack do you have installed (SP1, SP2, or SP3)?

2. Within the past week, have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers (video, sound, mouse/touchpad) for your system?

3. Within the past week, have you run Windows Update?

4. How old is your DVD drive?

5. Other than EoA, have you recently had any problems reading DVD's or installing programs from DVD's?

6. Other than EoA, have you had any program installation problems that were tied to InstallShield?

7. Which version of Java do you have installed? (The latest is version 6, update 26.)

8. Do you have only one version of Java installed?
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

1. Windows 7.

2. Uhm... Never did really update them...

3. Two weeks ago was the last update, all goes automatically, with every available update.

4. I. Have. No. Idea...

5. Yes, after the failure of MVEoA, I tried installing Myst IV Revelation, which also didn't work!
    And after those two, I succesfully installed Myst Masterpiece AND Riven!

6. No, never had problems with InstallShield.

7. Probally the latest. *checking* v1.6.0_24

8. Uhh, yes! Is it even possible to have multiple versions?

Hope this helps!

GlitchHero9724

In general,
    -- a. Install EoA to your C: drive, accepting the install defaults as much as possible.
    ----- 1. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    -- b. Start EoA from a fresh boot.
    ----- 1. Reboot, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges (NOT into a Limited User or Power User account), and close all open applications. (Open the Control Panel, and select User Accounts. Your User Name should show Administrators under Group.)
    ----- 2. Disable all tasks running in the background, especially anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs, task schedulers, remote system control programs (such as Microsoft NetMeeting) or other programs shown on the Windows task bar.
    ----- 3. If you have only a software firewall, do NOT disable it!
    ----- 4. Do NOT run any other programs before starting EoA.
    -- c. Do NOT boot up with the EoA disc in the drive, or with a disc in any drive.
    -- d. If the EoA disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    -- e. Start the game using the EoA icon on the Desktop, NOT the menu item on the disc.

The latest version of Java is v1.6.0_26, and you have v1.6.0_24. And yes, it's possible to have multiple versions of Java installed - which can cause problems!

As a first pass, try copying ALL of the folders and files on the EoA DVD to a new folder on your hard drive. Then install the game from the hard drive using Start > Run.
    -- a. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications.
    ----- 1. Do NOT boot up with a CD or DVD in the drive.
    -- b. Click on Start > Run.
    -- c. Browse to Setup.exe in the folder to which you copied the EoA DVD, and double-click on the file to put it in the Open: box.
    -- d. Click on OK to start the installation process.
    ----- 1. Follow the installation Wizard's instructions. Accept the install defaults.
    -- e. Reboot when installation is complete.
    ----- 1. Start EoA as per "in general", above.

If that doesn't help, please post a DxDiag report in this topic, so that we can take a look at your system and make recommendations.
    1. To start the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (DxDiag):
    -- a. Click on Start > Run, type dxdiag in the box, and click on OK.
    -- b. Or, click on the blue Windows "orb and logo" at the lower left corner of the screen (on the bottom taskbar), type dxdiag in the Search box, and then press Enter.
    2. Let the blue bar in the lower left corner of the Dxdiag window finish crawling and disappear.
    3. Click on the Save All Information button.
    4. Close the DxDiag utility. Now you have a DxDiag.txt file on your Desktop, or in the location where you saved it.
    5. Copy *ALL* of the contents of this file to the Windows Clipboard.
    -- a. Double-click on the file to open it.
    -- b. Right-click anywhere in the text, then click on Select All in the resulting menu.
    -- c. Right-click on the highlighted text, then click on Copy in the resulting menu.
    6. Paste the contents of the file from the Clipboard into a new post in this topic.
    -- a. Click on the yellow Reply arrow in the lower right corner of the screen.
    -- b. With the mouse cursor at the upper left corner of the Quick Reply to: box, type in any additional late-breaking details that might help diagnose the problem.
    -- c. Position the mouse cursor at the left margin and two lines down from any additional details, then right-click.
    -- d. Click on Paste in the resulting menu.
    -- e. Click on Post Now.

If the manufacturer and exact model number of your PC aren't shown under 'System Information' (System Manufacturer and System Model) at the top of the DxDiag report, also include that information in your post. Or, if you built your system or it was put together locally for you, include the manufacturer and exact model number of your motherboard.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Okay, maybe I have a solution:

I got the game from a friend, and now he tells me it's a not-so-legal version...

He came to me yesterday, and gave me a disc with a legal version (from his friend...) and installed perfectly.

So it works now. Still thanks ;D

GlitchHero9724