Thread: A request for a little history + pics on the pacific theater... | Forums

Hi all,

I have been a lurker for the past few months just to get some insight about the members this forum contained. For the most part I very much enjoy reading about many of the historical posts about the war. The people here have a great amount of insight on naval warfare and it is always a pleasure to have a glimpse into our not so distant past.

Not to be too off topic but the main idea behind my post is to learn more about the pacific theater in general which SHIV is all about. My father, god bless his soul, was enlisted in the New Zealand navy when he was 16 years old (he lied to get in). He never really spoke about his experinces in the war although he had many books that covered the subject.

He later became a diplomat for the UN and we had a chance to travel. We visited sites in Papua New guinea and even the Philippines. I was simply too young to realize that he was maybe visiting places he was involved in.

Are there any other kiwi's in the forum who can chime in and have old photo's taken during that period?

I did find a wealth of information here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_New_Ze..._during_World_War_II

But it was very broad and general in scope.

In closing I would like to thank all the members here for their time and effort in making this a very friendly and interesting forum. I have just received an email that my package has just been sent...finally neat!

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi all,

I have been a lurker for the past few months just to get some insight about the members this forum contained. For the most part I very much enjoy reading about many of the historical posts about the war. The people here have a great amount of insight on naval warfare and it is always a pleasure to have a glimpse into our not so distant past.

Not to be too off topic but the main idea behind my post is to learn more about the pacific theater in general which SHIV is all about. My father, god bless his soul, was enlisted in the New Zealand navy when he was 16 years old (he lied to get in). He never really spoke about his experinces in the war although he had many books that covered the subject.

He later became a diplomat for the UN and we had a chance to travel. We visited sites in Papua New guinea and even the Philippines. I was simply too young to realize that he was maybe visiting places he was involved in.

Are there any other kiwi's in the forum who can chime in and have old photo's taken during that period?

I did find a wealth of information here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_New_Ze..._during_World_War_II

But it was very broad and general in scope.

In closing I would like to thank all the members here for their time and effort in making this a very friendly and interesting forum. I have just received an email that my package has just been sent...finally neat!

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote